What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by berryman »

Bottled a Blue Moon clone today, It is very tasty even un-carbed. 5 lbs great western 2 row, 5 LBS white wheat, 1 lb flaked oats, 1 oz German Hallertau @ 60, coriander and sweet orange peel added at the end. 1.059 og and 1.010 fg on 5.5 gals. 2 packs of S-05 and 2 weeks in the fermenter. was fermented @ 62 for 1 week and at room temp 68 for one week.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I Brewed an Old Nebbercracker Spiced Holiday Ale, a 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Jaspers. This recipe has the Cinnamon Sticks, Bitter Orange Peel, and the Dried Ginger soaked in a cup of Vodka to be added a day before the brew is bottled.

This is a clone of Samuel Adam's Old Fizziwig spiced ale, I've not had the original but it sounds good so I guess we'll see.
Last edited by TonyKZ1 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I brewed up 5 gallons BIAB style in the Mash & Boil with a 12# grain bill. A hoppy Cascade + Nelson Sauvin "Session IPA", with 5oz of Cascade and 2oz of Nelson, with the rest just 11# of 2-row and 1# of 40L.

That fit BIAB style, but just barely, it was pushing it pretty close to the limit to end up with 5.5 gallons of wort at the end without a sparge.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

AS always, that sounds yummy. I need to figure out what my first brew on the M&B (and last brew of the year) is going to be.
It will be driven by what hops I have left over that I need to use up. Likely some type of Nelson IPA/APA with other hops in for accent, too.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'm brewing a Red IPA of some sort. For 3 gallons it is 4# Red-X, 2.5# 2-row, 0.5# Carared, and I'm throwing in 2oz of Mandarina Bavaria and 2oz of Simcoe at flameout and slow-chilling. No hops in the boil. The Simcoe is 17% AA, the Mandarina Bavaria are 9%, BeerSmith says that's 127 IBUs just from the slow chill because of how long it stays hot enough to extract AAUs. So that's like... more then enough for what will be around a 1.065ish beer LOL.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Wow, that's a high ABV for you (for what you normally brew). Need to stay warmer during the winter months? [emoji3]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:Wow, that's a high ABV for you (for what you normally brew). Need to stay warmer during the winter months? [emoji3]
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sometimes in the winter I actually like something a bit bigger once in a while. Also 100+ IBUs needs a bit of something behind it or it would just rip your face off unless you steal and activate Beer Lords super hero power.

I did mash this a bit on the "bigger body" side of the spectrum, so it will be a bit lower ABV then if I hadn't, and maybe balance out those IBUs a bit more too.

I'll probably dry hop it with something.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Never used Simcoe with Mandarina but I bet they play well together. I have lots of both so let me know how it turns out.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

That does sound like a good combination. I've used the Mandarina a couple times and have noticed that I didn't get what I wanted to out of it. Almost like you need double the amount of what you think you should use. Keep us posted on this one.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Yesterday I bottled a Gingerbread Brown Ale, a 5G Extract w/steeping grains spiced brown ale recipe from AIH that I brewed awhile back. After filling up the 48 bottles, I still had enough to fill an extra 6pk of bottles so I probably added a little too much water into the fermenter after pouring in the wort. Ah well, I'll bet it'll still taste good but probably not as high ABV amount.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Sounds great, and timely.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:I brewed up 5 gallons BIAB style in the Mash & Boil with a 12# grain bill. A hoppy Cascade + Nelson Sauvin "Session IPA", with 5oz of Cascade and 2oz of Nelson, with the rest just 11# of 2-row and 1# of 40L.

That fit BIAB style, but just barely, it was pushing it pretty close to the limit to end up with 5.5 gallons of wort at the end without a sparge.
Bottled that. Tasted good but solidly bitter. I think I forgot to change the cascade hop AAus in beersmith and the cascade I had was 8% AA. Probably should have used 4oz. It will be good regardless, but there is no doubt that its an IPA now.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

TonyKZ1 wrote:I Brewed an Old Nebbercracker Spiced Holiday Ale, a 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Jaspers. This recipe has the Cinnamon Sticks, Bitter Orange Peel, and the Dried Ginger soaked in a cup of Vodka to be added a day before the brew is bottled.

This is a clone of Samuel Adam's Old Fizziwig spiced ale, I've not had the original but it sounds good so I guess we'll see.
I bottled this today, it smelled pretty good with the spice mixture, so I'm looking forward to trying it soon.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

just got done bottling the last beer for 2018, a C hop heavy IPA called 7 Deadly C's. This one is going to make me burb. C hops do that to me.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

Brewing a Bourbon Barrel simulation Dark Ale. One of my old favorites.