2018 hop rhizome exchange

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: 2018 hop rhizome exchange

Post by FrozenInTime »

berryman wrote:I still think I could do this deal on sending somebody some hop rhizomes, but still not looking to good here. A few hours ago what it looks like here.
Bummer! Ours is quickly melting as we are staying 40 during the day, will hit 60 next week. I can see my garden now but the hops are still hiding. Hope yours clears up soon.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

So I was thinking about taking the leap on this, but I went back and re-read this thread and it looks like Cascade is off the table.
That's the one that I had my eye on, as I'm not a big fan of Centennial (no Two-Hearted for me) and noble hops don't "wow" me.

I admit that I'm more into the latest fashionable hops :D

Maybe it wasn't meant to be.
C'est la vie.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Kealia wrote:So I was thinking about taking the leap on this, but I went back and re-read this thread and it looks like Cascade is off the table.
That's the one that I had my eye on, as I'm not a big fan of Centennial (no Two-Hearted for me) and noble hops don't "wow" me.

I admit that I'm more into the latest fashionable hops :D

Maybe it wasn't meant to be.
C'est la vie.
I ended up getting one cascade rhizome this year, but last year, while trying to dig up a rhizome, I accidentally killed one cascade plant, so I kept this one and just moved it a couple of feet.

Maybe next year.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Good luck on your growth! Growing?
You know what I mean.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Mine are up and climbing, but that is what I worry about splitting them. Maybe next year I will attempt it. We had a long winter here and it went straight to summer so I really don't want to disturb them now.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I know MoreBeer (local to me) sells rhizhomes, but they are out of stock right now. I likely missed the sales season.
I guess I have about a year or so to read up and figure out what the hell to do with one once I do get my hands on one!
A gardner, I am not.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

MoreBeer is doing their rhizome pre-sale so I think I'm going to get on board this year and try 2 cascade and 2 columbus.

They're cheap so if I screw them up I'm only out about $20.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I've been thinking about doing this too. I found a place that sells rooted plants, not rhizomes.... Great Lakes Hops. I might buy a couple from them and see what happens.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Do it. I bet it's like anything else we've done around brewing - overwhelming at first, but pretty easy once you're into it. What do you have to lose?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Everything I've planted has either not grown at all, dropped dead, or got eaten by some critter (urban deer garden raiders most likely). So until I move somewhere else, I am staying out of hop farming.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

BlackDuck wrote:I've been thinking about doing this too. I found a place that sells rooted plants, not rhizomes.... Great Lakes Hops. I might buy a couple from them and see what happens.
I've bought plants from them because it seemed to be the only way to get neomexicanus varieties.

I don't see them as being any better than rhizomes but they're about twice as much. I don't think I'd go with the plants unless you're looking for a variety that isn't available via rhizome.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Kealia wrote:MoreBeer is doing their rhizome pre-sale so I think I'm going to get on board this year and try 2 cascade and 2 columbus.

They're cheap so if I screw them up I'm only out about $20.
I'd tell you to hold off, but I haven't been getting many rhizomes the past few years so I say go for it. It won't take long for the hops you grow to pay for themselves.