What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by FrozenInTime »

Dandelion Candi Syrup
How do you make it, what are you using it for and what does it bring to the party?
I once bought a bottle of dandy-lion wine, was very expensive, and was the worst tasting drink I've ever had. I've heard of dandy-lion tea aslo, tried that? I've usually got a bumper crop of these yellow flowers come spring but have not tried to do anything with them. All that comes to mind when I think about it is the very nasty flavor of the wine we tried.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FrozenInTime wrote:Dandelion Candi Syrup
How do you make it, what are you using it for and what does it bring to the party?
I once bought a bottle of dandy-lion wine, was very expensive, and was the worst tasting drink I've ever had. I've heard of dandy-lion tea aslo, tried that? I've usually got a bumper crop of these yellow flowers come spring but have not tried to do anything with them. All that comes to mind when I think about it is the very nasty flavor of the wine we tried.
Dandelion wine can be tricky, because dandelion greens are bitter, and dandelion wine made with nothing but sugar and dandelions (so no residual sweetness) can then turn out bitter, which is not something people drinking wine expect. This is why they tell people who make it to painstakingly separate the green bits from the flowers to try to avoid this.

In beer, which is already bitter and has complex sugars left (which is why we bitter it to bring balance), this is totally unnecessary and I don't bother with it. Any extra bitterness it brings unnoticeable. What you do get from them is some color, and a little bit of a flavor that is earthy and nutty and a little bit of hay. And they are good for you in various ways.

I like to use the syrup I make in Saisons, where that type of flavor just adds to the already spicy, earthy yeast and hop flavors. They turn out delicious and have lovely color.

To make it, basically fill pot with dandelions, fill with water, bring just to a boil, turn off heat, let it steep for some hours, filter the liquid into another container, then follow normal candi syrup making directions using that liquid as your "water". If I have more liquid then I need to make the syrup, I will boil it down to the amount I desire first.

I do it with just heat, so basically I'm going with a 3-1 ratio of liquid to sugar, and then heating it to a set temperature using a candi thermometer (how hot that is depends on how dark you want your syrup, IE something like 285 will give you a darker syrup, or something like 230 a lighter one). I'll reserve about 1 cup or a bit more of liquid if I'm doing a darker syrup. When it hits set temperature, I throw a TBSP of reserved liquid in which knocks the temp back down, let it get to that temperature again, repeat, do this until there is about 1/3 to 1/4 cup of liquid left. Then turn off the heat and add the last 1/3 to 1/4 cup of liquid. If you are making syrup at higher temperatures it's better to be closer to the 1/3 cup side to keep it from cooking much longer at higher temps.

That is the basic process for making any sort of candi syrup with just heat, no acid is required. Acid is not necessary, nor is it used by authentic Belgian candi syrup makers. The sugar inverts over time in the boil on its own and adding the water additions to knock the temps down and having it creep back up over and over again gives you the time without burning it.

I do this type of syrup at lower temperatures, even so it will turn out a dark brown in color, because the steeped dandelion liquid starts off brownish when you use as much as I am. But if you splash a thin layer on a light colored surface you will see that it has yellow highlights still. When diluted this yellow does start to pop.

It gives me beers that look like this:

EDITED for stupid autocorrect errors.
P1090531.JPG
P1090531.JPG (62.31 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I may have to try that some time. I remember giving up on getting enough dandelion flowers to make dandelion wine many years ago (and I lived across the street from a large field at the time). Leaving the green part on would make it simple. Maybe I'll raid my neighbor's lawn next year.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

bpgreen wrote:I may have to try that some time. I remember giving up on getting enough dandelion flowers to make dandelion wine many years ago (and I lived across the street from a large field at the time). Leaving the green part on would make it simple. Maybe I'll raid my neighbor's lawn next year.
I pop off the stems, but don't bother with the green bits around the flowers. This has never caused me any trouble in beer, and it is what gives the "nutty" flavor in my experience. It is sort of like walnuts, which are a little bitter. In wine it would probably be nasty unless you stopped your fermentation with a little bit of residual sugar left. The residual sugar in beer is what makes it ok, the bitter doesn't come through in a bad way, it just blends with the already bitter additions.

If I am using a crazy attenuating yeast (Bella Saison / French Saison) I might bitter it slightly less then normal - but no more then 5-7 IBUs different, IE the basic "perception difference" amount - but that's all I'll change. If I felt like I had to pick off all the green bits I wouldn't do this, picking an 6 quarts of dandelions is enough of a pain. That is with using about 8oz of the stuff in a 1.05ish batch, or 1# of it in a 1.07ish batch if I'm feeling stupid (making a 1.07 beer with Bella Saison is my definition of being stupid LOL).
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I bottled a Chocolate Milk Stout 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from CraftaBrew this morning. Afterwards I brewed a Beer. Simply Beer IPA 5G Extract recipe from Midwest Supplies.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I made ~6 gallons of session IPA with Eureka! and Citra hops.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

For Big Brew Day, a group from our local Club got together @ LHBS to brew, I ended up doing a double (Wheat and Vienna Lager) and my thought on saving a bit of time and logistics of how to utilize the brew pot and HLT and MT efficiently I decided to do a full volume mash for the wheat beer Friday nite and do an overnite mash. Worked like a charm, only drawback was 10.5 lbs of grain and 8.75 gallons of water was a bit challenging getting up the stairs, it maxed out the 10 g cooler and even with the lid on was getting some but not much slosh out. Hit the preboil number on the nose, and .002 short going into the fermenter. I was going into the boil about the time everyone else was just about ready to start heating strike water and was just about finished with the Vienna Lager about the same time as the others with their batches. It paid off mashing overnite this time, having a pump, whirlpooling and counterflow chiller also helped speed up the process compared to using an immersion chiller. I can see doing overnite mashes again.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

With a little luck, I'll be brewing Levitation this weekend. Fingers crossed.
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

Just did my first pressurized transfer from conical to keg. Went well and didn’t take long at all. It’s my Kolsch recipe and delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Sweet!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Kealia wrote:With a little luck, I'll be brewing Levitation this weekend. Fingers crossed.
Today was the day! I got to brew!

Rabbit, good to hear from ya!Image

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled my 'Merican Wheat. Something seems off with it. But we will see for sure in 3-4 weeks. It might just be that I've never used Calypso hops before and they don't taste quite like I expected.

As a side note the Citra/Eurika! hop IPA in my other fermenters has an insane strong aroma and I haven't dry hopped it yet, and I'm afraid to now. I think Eurika! is known as a potent aroma hop, but this is nuts.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I've never made a cider before, but bought some apple juice today and started a batch of stupid easy cider.

Edited to fix autocorrect typo.
Last edited by bpgreen on Mon May 13, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

After a busy weekend, late Sunday afternoon I was finally able to bottle the couple 1G Extract w/steeping grains recipes from CraftaBrew, Fools Gold-a Golden Stout and Resin IIPA-a collaboration with SixPoint Brewery that I had brewed 3 weeks ago. The Golden Stout smelled great with the chocolate and coffee beans added to it. As I was bottling it, I was glad they were only 1G recipes, as I was running short on time, needing to get down to the barn for chores, but after smelling them, I kinda wished they were the 5G recipes. Anyhow, looking forward to trying them out.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Brewed a Red x - EKG I call sweet 'lil Red today, the third time I brewed it. The first 2 times was 1.054 og, today 1.052, don't know why. Not big deal though.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison