Has anybody traveled with whole hops?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Has anybody traveled with whole hops?

Post by bpgreen »

I'm going to be visiting my mom soon, and while I'm there, I'll help my brother and nephew brew a 10 gallon batch. They've started growing hops, but I'm not sure if they have enough to brew the beer they want using only homegrown hops.

I've got an overabundance of hops, and could bring some with me. I've traveled a lot and try not to do anything that will cause any problems. I once brought some dme. It got pulled out of my bag and they asked me what it was and that was that (actually, the guy thought it was cool that I brewedmy own, but it was in DC).

But I'm a little worried that a TSA agent (especially one in Utah, who is unlikely to know anything about brewing) might think the hops are their close relative.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Has anybody traveled with whole hops?

Post by FrozenInTime »

Less worries if sealed and sent by USPS?
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

FrozenInTime wrote:Less worries if sealed and sent by USPS?
I might go that route, but the postage might be more than buying hops there,
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

The TSA has no power to stop you from transporting hops.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... ibring/all

The TSA employees are not law enforcement professionals. They cannot arrest you. They can summon an air marshal or a policeman, but that official cannot arrest you for transporting hops.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

That may be true, but I'm pretty sure it's not worth the hassle to be detained while they summon and Air Marshal or the police. Who knows how long that will take, then you'll have to explain and prove to them that they are in fact hops. After all this has gone down, you've missed your flight. Now you have to deal with the airline to rebook. Now your late to your destination. Yup, not worth the hassle.

Might as well ship them.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

BlackDuck wrote:That may be true, but I'm pretty sure it's not worth the hassle to be detained while they summon and Air Marshal or the police. Who knows how long that will take, then you'll have to explain and prove to them that they are in fact hops. After all this has gone down, you've missed your flight. Now you have to deal with the airline to rebook. Now your late to your destination. Yup, not worth the hassle.

Might as well ship them.
I travel often enough that I like to make the process go as smoothly as possible. I've learned which things show up on xray that'll flash for secondary, so I take those out in advance., etc. Organic matter usually leads to a secondary search of the bag. So how's would show up, and it's Utah, so even if they believed me that they're hops, they might give me a hard time (alcohol is a nono for mormons and some think that it should be a nono for everybody).

I think I'll just leave them at home or ship then.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

They can tend to look like an illegal commodity ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison