Siason Recipe

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Siason Recipe

Post by BeerRust »

Have tried to brew one yet, looking for a possible recipe, for extract brewing.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: Siason Recipe

Post by monsteroyd »

I did one straight up, one with a little ginger and lemon, and I have one with orange zest/juice and one with lemon zest/juice in the LBKs. The straight up was good, the lemon ginger, probably not going to do ginger again. I think the orange and lemon will be good. I did zest and juice with 3 oranges and 4 lemons.

They are different. A little bitter for me, but just at my limit. I like them now and again, because they are so different.

Monty
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

A quick Google search only found one HME based Saison. Have you tried your LHBS for an all extract kit?
Sibling Brewers
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Oh sorry I thought you were asking about the MR Beer seasonal saison extract. That's what I did.

Monty
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Here's my 'Simply Saison' all extract recipe...

It uses Pilsen Light (Liquid or Dry) Malt Extract, Munich Liquid Extract, Hallertau Hops and Danstar (or any) French Saison yeast...

It is sized for an LBK.

You can sub out the hops for Saaz, Tettenang, EKG's etc. as long as you keep to around the same IBU's.

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/simply-saison-4

JohnSand mentioned he liked it... (Thanks John!)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=602&p=8741&hilit=Simply#p8741

:cool:
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

@BigPapaG - Cool. I think I want to try that out too. Thanks!

Monty
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

No prob, hope you enjoy it!

monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Me too, I just ordered up the ingredients to give it a try. Seems super easy. Second hop boil for me, but only 30 minutes. I hope I can get by with a smaller boil as I don't have that big of a pot. :)

Monty
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

monsteroyd wrote:Me too, I just ordered up the ingredients to give it a try. Seems super easy. Second hop boil for me, but only 30 minutes. I hope I can get by with a smaller boil as I don't have that big of a pot. :)

Monty
Yeah Monty,

It's was actually designed to use 1.25 gallons as the boil volume to get the hop utilization you need in only a 30 minute boil.

Once done and cooling, top off to 2.1 gallons with a gallon or so of cold tap water to reach the 2.1 gallon size of the LBK (approximately).

zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

i just brewed a simple saison au miel trial kit (1gal) from NB.

--1 lb. Gold dry malt extract powder Boil for 45 minutes—--
7 grams UK Kent Goldings hops Boil for 45 minutes—
--7 grams UK Kent Goldings hops Boil for 20 minutes—
--2 oz Ames Farm Single Source Honey Boil for @ 0 min
--Danstar Belle Saison brewer’s yeast
Add HALF packet to cooled wort—

ferment for 2 weeks.

i did the first day at 67F. on day 2 i put the fermenter in a cooler filled with water to the wort level. i dropped in an aquarium heater and have been keeping it going at 75-78f.. and will keep it there for the whole time. the yeast have been chugging away merrily and i have about an inch of thick krausen.

for anyone who has used Belle saison yeast (dry), what kind of flavors should i expect? ive never had a saison before.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Peppery and mystery spices, but no clove like phenols and just a touch of citrusy fruit and some tartness. Leaves a silky mouthfeel even though it ferments out to 1.00n... Seems wrong, but it does. Not earthy or funky. IBUs will stand out more since it attenuates so highly. Late hops will pop more then you would imagine even though the yeast isn't "clean" like an American ale yeast, as there isn't any malt left to get in the way. If you add spices they will pop too.
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

thanks muchly mashani. 10 more days to ferment. then carb/condition... eager to try this side by side with a commercial saison. as always, i truly appreciate the info.

be well.
-z-
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

(see above)... day 9 took gravity = 1.007

color is almost a mix of chardonay and apple cider. smell is slightly fruity with a little yeastiness.
sampler taste: confusing. it is like a pilsner had kinky sex with a wheat... light maltiness with a tart fruitiness of green apple/ pear / ? and a yeast taste i cant place exactly. i used kent goldings hops but cant taste any hoppiness unless that is the fruit contribution. i couldnt taste any spicy quality.. maybe a faint black pepper quality but barely noticeable.

ive moved it into the fridge to crash for a couple days before bottling.

the only saison ive ever had ... and i use the term loosely ... was one magic hat put out that was dark and taste more like a porter than anything else....didnt like it.

so from what i described.. does it sound like im in the right ballpark for a saison? thanks.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

The only Saison I've ever had is the MB seasonal one. Your description sounds pretty accurate to me. I think they are great tasting, the yeast is neat, and they are too easy. I like em.

Monty
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The flavors will become more coherent with some age, the appley will likely go away as you probably still have lots of acetaldehyde in there, but the tartness will not. The pear might stick around. The spicy bits should stand out more later.

Your sure it's done? I'd not trust it being done at 1.007. Mine have been ending up 1.003, 1.002, 1.001...