Lessons Learned - 2019

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Lessons Learned - 2019

Post by HerbMeowing »

Started down this road in '06.
Mr. B kits ==> Coopers ==> BIAB ==> Mash-Lauter Tun
Still learning after all these years ...

- As long as you vorlauf ... there's no need to let batch-sparged volumes rest more than ~4' to allow the grain bed to settle before running-off.
- Brewing salts dissolve way more better when added to cold water before putting cold water to the flame.
- Small quantities of hull-less grains -- such as oats and wheat -- can be 'milled' in a coffee grinder. Quicker and easier than adjusting the gap on a grain mill.
- Sharing a fridge with your spouse is not the same as having a dedicated beer fridge.
- The labeled weight on Yakima hop products is always wrong. There's always more in the package than what's on the label.
- Baby Gas-X drops -- when added to the fermentor just prior to hi-K -- stops foam-overs.

---
How about you?
What's dawned on you about home-brewing in 2019?
:fedora:
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Lessons Learned - 2019

Post by John Sand »

The curve flattens after a while, like any good parabola. I tried some new things, gypsum in my pilsner, oaking a stout. I bought a pump and a keg hop filter. I brewed fewer and smaller batches, as I am drinking less. This may be the first year that I didn't brew a dumper.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

2019 has been a learning experience for me on Kegging homebrew. I think I have it down now, have kegged 15 5 gal batches since the first one 1/16/19 but always something new to learn on everything.
One thing I did learn just recently and this will help anyone with a Mash&Boil. I kept having problems with flow out of the spigot when mashing and running the pump, no way could I believe it could be plugged because I do a very thorough job of cleaning and even had the spigot apart a few time but never anything in it. What I found.. the mash tube/basket can get close enough to the port to restrict the flow....
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

HerbMeowing wrote:Started down this road in '06.
- Sharing a fridge with your spouse is not the same as having a dedicated beer fridge.
Herb, it took you that long to learn this one Ha Ha... :lol:
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

berryman wrote:
HerbMeowing wrote:Started down this road in '06.
Herb, it took you that long to learn this one Ha Ha... :lol:
Just got me a beer fridge last month. One of those things I should have done long time ago.

Not wanting to tempt fate ... replaced the 15-yo Maytag with a new one and pressed the old one into service as a beer fridge in the garage. And just in time to lager my CA Common Steamer.

Another benefit has been improved clarity which was usually pretty good to begin with but now ... with longer cold conditioning ... they pour real clear.

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I learned that making 5 or 6 gallon batches is only perhaps 5% more difficult then 2.5 to 3 gallon batches in the mash & boil and have apparently re-converted to a primarily 5-6 gallon batch brewer for the most part because of it.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

2019 I learned I can brew a lot less often and still have beer on tap, or I learned I am just not drinking as much the past couple years. I also learned I could brew no sparge style and still hit great efficiency.
Brew Strong My Friends...
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

This year I learned that....
  • Getting a motorized grain mill was one of the smartest things I've done.
  • Replacing my old plastic Ale Pails with Chapman SS fermenters was one of the best things I've done.
  • Doing Co2 closed transfers from fermenters to kegs was one of the most rewarding things I've done.
  • Getting two Vittles Vaults to store bulk grain was one of the financially sound things I've done.
  • But above all the absolutely most enjoyable thing I've done was to retire!
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Congrats on the retirement!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:This year I learned that....
  • Getting a motorized grain mill was one of the smartest things I've done.
  • Replacing my old plastic Ale Pails with Chapman SS fermenters was one of the best things I've done.
  • Doing Co2 closed transfers from fermenters to kegs was one of the most rewarding things I've done.
  • Getting two Vittles Vaults to store bulk grain was one of the financially sound things I've done.
  • But above all the absolutely most enjoyable thing I've done was to retire!
Your whole list sounds good, but retirement is the best. Welcome to the club.......What is a Vittles Valt? I just got a 55 of Redx today and the first time I bought that much ahead.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Vittles Vaults are meant for holding bulk pet food in an air tight way. They have large openings with a cap that screws on and off. They work great for storing grains too because the large opening makes life easy for you and mice don't know how to open the cap so it makes life hard for them.

Now dogs... dogs can open the cap if they are smart enough. Especially if you teach them how to do it as a trick.

There is a viral video somewhere of a dog opening one, getting some food, and then putting the lid back on. The putting the lid back on part of that video is fake, its just the taking it off part in reverse. The lids are a bit too big to be manageable for most dogs to really do that. But the taking it off part is real, I've trained dogs to do similar types of things many times.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm a big fan of Vittles Vaults. Been using them for about 5 years. Keeps my grains fresh. I stock almost as many grains as I do hops! :)
4-50 lb size and 1-25 lb size.
Attachments
IMG_0821.jpg
IMG_0821.jpg (386.45 KiB) Viewed 7388 times
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Thank you all for your kind words on my retirement. I look forward to another exciting year in 2020 getting to play with the new toys. Who would have thought an LBK Christmas gift ten years ago would lead to all of this.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:Who would have thought an LBK Christmas gift ten years ago would lead to all of this.
Ain't that the truth.