Isolation brewing

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Isolation brewing

Post by Beer-lord »

Who's taking advantage of our disadvantage and brewing while stuck at home? Surely some of you are in the boat as I am and have to stay home.
Even though I'm good on beer, I'm going to brew soon just because I can. It does take real discipline not to drink alot while stuck at home but at least it'll take off a bit of the boredom.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Isolation brewing

Post by FrozenInTime »

Nothing has changed for me. Wife and I are retired, at home anywayz. Only thing it affected was our travel plans, no visit to daughter/family in Washington, family in Indiana, campgrounds closing so can't go camping in commercial parks. But yea, I'm going to use this time to brew, catch up on house repairs, do some wood-working and when the lakes thaw, get some fishing in.
Isolation, I love it! Maybe I need to put a sign up at end of driveway... IF you can read this, you are within range.... LOL Then, put up a cross and a pile of rocks shaped just right next to the sign... hehehehe
Unfortunately, my wife and I are both in the *high risk* group, age with health problems. Sux to get old. Ya'll take care and be careful, you young pups are not immune to this virus.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'm probably going to brew a 2.5 or 3 gallon batch tonight and then go on a continuous 2.5 to 3 gallon weekly rotation once my big batch of porter is done fermenting. That will give me something to do to pass a bit of time 2-3 days a week every week between the brewing, the fermenting (next day since I slow chill), and bottling/cleaning of used bottles.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I wish I could brew. My tap water is terrible for brewing so I’ve got to dilute with distilled or use 100% distilled water and add stuff back in. The stores are limiting water to 2 gallons per purchase. And I’m not going to run back and forth to the store 5 times just for water. So my brewing, along with most everything else in the country, is in temporary hold.

Stay healthy everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I brewed on Sunday and as long as my LHBS has supplies to put something together I would like to brew again later in the week. I think my Double Pale Ale sounds about right.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Brew Strong My Friends...
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Got some Motueka and Ella so I'm going to brew a Pacific Pale Ale and dry hop it with HBC 692. No idea how it will turn out but if it wards off evil, I'm going for it.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I haven't brewed in months. I've got a batch in the fermenter that I'll try to keg tomorrow. 1 keg of cider that's almost full (I don't like cider much) in the kegerator. No kegs of beer to tap.

I've been buying beer to make my home brew last longer, but I've only got 18 left and I have no intention of going to the store to get more for quite a while.

I've got plenty of two row, several packets of yeast, and a freezer full of yeast. I just need to carve out some time. With the mash and boil, I should just set up the night before (or even do an overnight mash) and brew while I'm working.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I have an order coming from MoreBeer on Thursday. I'm brewing up another batch of Berliner Weiss.

It's nice to have as a drinking option at 3%.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

BlackDuck wrote:I wish I could brew. My tap water is terrible for brewing so I’ve got to dilute with distilled or use 100% distilled water and add stuff back in.
Might be a good time to get RO stuff?
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

The big boat is out of the water, which is very rare, so every decent weather day will be dedicated to the boatyard. I should be in pretty good shape for homebrew, especially if Easter family dinner is cancelled. I'll brew after the boat splashes in mid-may.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Can't work on a boat at a yard here, because we have a Stay Home order. Seems like NY has the same order...

I brewed in late January, then again in late February. With our Stay Home order, my LHBS (Adventures) closed to retail Monday night. Just as well, while we'll have to make a food run soon, adding an extra stop adds extra risk. Could of course pay for shipping mail order, but we have plenty right now.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Do you have a boat?
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I just got my shipment from MoreBeer and the ice packs did in fact keep the yeast chilled, which was always my main concern.

Looks like I can dial up my Berliner again.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

John Sand wrote:Do you have a boat?
I do in fact have a boat. It is in the garage at our cottage. Given our cottage is 80 minutes away, I will not be going there to do anything because it violates our Stay Home order, which right now goes through April 13th. Our order requires us to suspend activities that are not necessary to sustain or protect life, so driving to work on a boat would fall into that.

Because people are clueless, our governor had to add that golfing isn't essential when asked, because people were thinking it's ok to go golfing. Stay home means stay home, at least here in Michigan (and in Ohio). I think the NY order is similar.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Fortunately or unfortunately I am working as our business of material handling is considered essential to keep medical, manufacturing and the food and beverage infrastructure going, in Ohio there is NOT a stay at home order it is a social distancing order, in other words a common sense order, don't gather in groups, only go to public stores when absolutely necessary, business deemed non essential to sustain life are closed. Haven't brewed since May of last year, have made some wines since, 2 bathroom remodels and one bedroom makeover nearly complete and I can straighten out my brewing area and get a few kegs filled soon!
STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY!
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013