Isolation brewing

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Isolation brewing

Post by John Sand »

RickBeer wrote:
John Sand wrote:Do you have a boat?
I do in fact have a boat. It is in the garage at our cottage. Given our cottage is 80 minutes away, I will not be going there to do anything because it violates our Stay Home order, which right now goes through April 13th. Our order requires us to suspend activities that are not necessary to sustain or protect life, so driving to work on a boat would fall into that.

Because people are clueless, our governor had to add that golfing isn't essential when asked, because people were thinking it's ok to go golfing. Stay home means stay home, at least here in Michigan (and in Ohio). I think the NY order is similar.
Ahhh, but you think wrong. Golf courses are still open in NY, even those in parks.
My boat doesn't fit in a garage, I'm not worried about getting sick (or anything else) and I'm not in contact with any senior citizens. A boatyard is the very definition of social distancing. I work on my boat, anyone else works on theirs. We're all more than six feet apart, so you don't need to worry either.
:clink:
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I'm in IT, and I've worked from home a lot, so that part isn't much of a change.

I'm also over 60, so I'm in an at risk group. But I've been exercising a lot the last few years, so maybe I'm not ad much at risk as others my age.

The pool is closed, so I can't swim, and weather is still unsettled, so there are days I can't (or won't) bike or run.

I last went to a store almost 2 weeks ago. I don't plan on going to a store again for another month. I'l run out of fresh vegetables in about a week. After that, I've got frozen. I think I have enough fresh fruit for another three weeks. After that, I've got dried fruit.

I'm a little short on specialty grains, but I have plenty of two row, so I just need to start brewing again.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:in Ohio there is NOT a stay at home order it is a social distancing order, in other words a common sense order, don't gather in groups, only go to public stores when absolutely necessary, business deemed non essential to sustain life are closed.
It is basically supposed to be interpreted as "stay at home, except for when you must go get stuff to live like food and/or for getting some fresh air or exercise". (unless you are in an essential business). And if my experience trying to take advantage of the "you can go outside for exercise and such" part of that common sense rule is true everywhere, it's a bit of a mess. Every metro park and local park I've tried to go to has been packed full of people who clearly are not related to one another or all from the same household, all hanging out together, filling picnic shelters, playing basketball or what not, and/or not doing a good job at all of maintaining safe distance. I've had to go find unmarked trails to walk my dogs on to stay away from the crowds of people.

Also my neighborhood has had in influx of NJ/NY people moving here to stay with their local families in order to "Escape from NY" as such it seems. Although I totally get why, I'm pretty sure that isn't going to end well for some of them. I just hope they all stay in their house for a while and away from everyone else. The mayor is asking them all to self quarantine for 2 weeks to be safe. Will it happen? Who knows.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Fortunately or unfortunately I am working as our business of material handling is considered essential to keep medical, manufacturing and the food and beverage infrastructure going, in Ohio there is NOT a stay at home order it is a social distancing order, in other words a common sense order, don't gather in groups, only go to public stores when absolutely necessary, business deemed non essential to sustain life are closed. Haven't brewed since May of last year, have made some wines since, 2 bathroom remodels and one bedroom makeover nearly complete and I can straighten out my brewing area and get a few kegs filled soon!
STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY!
:cheers:
https://content.govdelivery.com/attachm ... 0Order.pdf
mashani wrote:
Dawg LB Steve wrote:in Ohio there is NOT a stay at home order it is a social distancing order, in other words a common sense order, don't gather in groups, only go to public stores when absolutely necessary, business deemed non essential to sustain life are closed.
It is basically supposed to be interpreted as "stay at home, except for when you must go get stuff to live like food and/or for getting some fresh air or exercise". (unless you are in an essential business). And if my experience trying to take advantage of the "you can go outside for exercise and such" part of that common sense rule is true everywhere, it's a bit of a mess. Every metro park and local park I've tried to go to has been packed full of people who clearly are not related to one another or all from the same household, all hanging out together, filling picnic shelters, playing basketball or what not, and/or not doing a good job at all of maintaining safe distance. I've had to go find unmarked trails to walk my dogs on to stay away from the crowds of people.

Also my neighborhood has had in influx of NJ/NY people moving here to stay with their local families in order to "Escape from NY" as such it seems. Although I totally get why, I'm pretty sure that isn't going to end well for some of them. I just hope they all stay in their house for a while and away from everyone else. The mayor is asking them all to self quarantine for 2 weeks to be safe. Will it happen? Who knows.
The unfortunate reality is that a large portion of the population is simply stupid, there's no other way to put it. Quite unfortunate, but guidelines are given and not followed, then more stringent rules not followed, ... In Florida they've been closing stuff piece by piece as the reality sets in that the general population is so stupid that common sense doesn't prevail.

It's unfortunate that Darwin's Law is going to be a reality for some - not like in the past where people joked that "oh, Fred, that's Darwin's Law right there" but "oh, Fred, he passed away from the coronavirus".

Stay safe everyone, and use common sense, if you have it. :clink:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

RickBeer wrote:Stay safe everyone, and use common sense, if you have it. :clink:
Are you saying that there's people here that don't have common sense? That's quite the thing to say. I don't believe people come here to be lectured or to be belittled.

This thread is titled "Isolation Brewing" and the OP was asking what our brewing plans or activities are during this unfortunate time. So, let's keep this thread on track about brewing.....
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

BlackDuck wrote:
RickBeer wrote:Stay safe everyone, and use common sense, if you have it. :clink:
Are you saying that there's people here that don't have common sense? That's quite the thing to say. I don't believe people come here to be lectured or to be belittled.

This thread is titled "Isolation Brewing" and the OP was asking what our brewing plans or activities are during this unfortunate time. So, let's keep this thread on track about brewing.....
I was not. There are people out in the world that don't have common sense, which I referenced when I said that our governor had to add clarification that golfing wasn't ok with her Stay Home order in our state. And I referenced in my follow-up post for what Florida is going through. Brew on.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

That's fine, but remember the high majority of people reading this are members of the forum, so when you say "Stay safe everyone, and use common sense, if you have it"...it is being said to those people reading your post...which are members of the forum and not the general public. I understand it was not meant that way, but that's the way it came across.

Let's get this one back on topic.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Well I'm pushing off my isolation brew to Thursday when we get back to more normal temps. We've broken all time records the last 4 days and will today. I'm putting off yard work until it's less humid tomorrow and think Thursday will be the best day for me to enjoy it. Nothing special is planned and I already have 3 almost full kegs but I think the Kveik yeast is asking to get let out and a simple and low ABV Pale is best. It'll be ready in days and when the heat starts coming back next weekend, it'll be ready to enjoy.
I understand the LHBS across the country and even retailers are doing very good business. I've read of a number of people who stopped brewing years ago and are coming back to it as well as lots of new brewers. AHA has some stories on this as well.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm on it today with the Berliner Weiss. Mash, sparge, bring to a boil, drop to 95 and pitch the Lacto.
Go bugs, go!
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I have been on vacation this week....well, staycation to the max. The wife wasnt feeling well on top of it and the weather was shit so literally just a lot of nothing. I did some yard work the only nice day we had this week. I brewed a NEIPA last Sunday and a big Old School Pale Ale today. So when this all settles down, at least I'll have 2 nice hoppy beers ready. Back to work tomorrow. Image

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Brew Strong My Friends...
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I brewed a partial mash today. I was digging through my chest freezer and found some containers of LME.

I used the mash and boil to heat the water to mash temps, but used a paint bag in a cooler for the mash. I did the boil in the mash and boil.

I'm not sure what hops i used because the marker writing on the vacuum bag was illegible. I think it was nugget.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Things aren't bad in my rural end of this state unlike what is happening in NYC. I am staying home and away from people, what I am good at anyways. Yes I work outside all I want I have 40 acres and no close neighbours. I haven't brewed much during this as I am stocked up and haven't had anyone stop up and drink beer with me which is good. I am thinking on doing a couple batches soon but my LHBS is closed. I see morebeer is out of a lot of stuff too, but I should be able to put something together in the next few days. I hope you are all well and getting through this deal. It will soon pass. Take care my friends. DP
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I'm still working, since supermarket employees are essential. I was brewing pretty much every week anyway, so that hasn't changed.

Stay safe, everyone!
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Stay safe yourself Hat!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Stay safe Dave, hopefully you are getting hazard pay.