Mechahopzilla vs. Mechagodzilla

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Mechahopzilla vs. Mechagodzilla

Post by jivex5k »

So stupid....
I'll be sure not to watch their upcoming movie.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I don't understand the backlash against Toho?

It's not wrong for a company to protect their property/Trademarks/characters, etc.
There's a reason that Disney and Lucas protect their stuff so vigorously - it's to ensure that others can't make money off their product/name. In my opinion, this is more than just "close", it's way over the line in terms of infringing upon their rights. And if there is a movie coming out the merchandising could be huge so they are within their rights, and common sense to me, to defend Godzilla (or in this case Mechagodzilla) and all likeness of it.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

I agree Kealia. As a small business owner myself, we go to great lengths to make sure our brand isn't infringed upon (and we have nothing close to godzilla popularity...). This isn't a case of the corporate fat cats beating up on the little guy. This is protecting your brand and following both the intent and letter of the law.
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

Whose going to confuse a movie with a beer though?
Mecha HopZilla is a play on words. The beer won't generate extra revenue because of some old movie, or some coming up movie.
It won't cause them to lose revenue.

Godzilla is pretty much public domain at this point, I mean who doesn't know about Godzilla?

Why didn't they sue southpark for Mecha Streisand?

And it's a beer vs a movie, no one will confuse the products.

I'm just sick of all this litigation against beer names. Let be be free man, it's creative naming.

It's one thing if two beers from the same location are name the same thing. When a homebrew shop sues a brewery for having a somewhat similar name, 15 states over, that has no distribution outside their state...man screw them. No one is going to confuse your crappy homebrew store with a local beer in a different state.

Meanwhile Budweiser blatantly copies flying dog's beer packaging styles, and asks for those copy cats beers to be place next to flying dog's.
But yeah, they have the money for good lawyers so they can get away with bullying people.

Seems like this company is being a bully to a small craft brewery when it will not affect them in the least.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

The point is that the owners of the movie name have the rights. If you use it for foot powder then you have to go to them for permission, or to license the rights.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

RickBeer wrote:The point is that the owners of the movie name have the rights. If you use it for foot powder then you have to go to them for permission, or to license the rights.
They own the rights to Mecha Godzilla, not Mecha Hopzilla.
Maybe it's similar enough to constitute infringement, but it's a dick move IMHO.
They can be sure to never get any of my money.
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

Looks to me like they were asking for it, with the name being so close and the label showing a mechanical dinosaur! :oops:

Why couldn't they have used Mega instead of Mecha?
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Assuming they have a lawyer, and assuming he's any good, he should have said "We'll get caught. Maybe it won't be too painful, but we'll get caught.". It was a bonehead move.

I'm sure the movie company is very worried that all the beer drinkers won't watch their movie...
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Two things I know I learned from this. Hadn't heard of NOLA Brewery prior to this. They look pretty good (they also have other "zilla" named brews, so not their first attempt to get in trouble). And there is another Godzilla movie coming out in 2014. Probably wouldn't have known about either if it weren't for this lawsuit. I doubt either is crying too much about the free publicity... :whistle:
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
rickbray66
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by rickbray66 »

Perhaps both sides will come to some sort of agreement that results in a win-win.

Rick
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

At my local beer shop, I was told there are already small rumblings of rumors that NOLA will cease producing the beer in cans until they have a new design, or, they may cease selling it in cans entirely (they only started selling this in cans last year) since they feel they may not want to fight the giant. All rumors or course but since I only had one around I grabbed 2 more. Never know if they'll be worth a cup of coffee in the future.
IMG_1200 (Small).JPG
IMG_1200 (Small).JPG (96.58 KiB) Viewed 537 times
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

That's a pretty bad ass lookin can!
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

It really isn't a great beer. I used to like it but it's all bitter and not much flavor. Though, I've had some uber fresh at the brewery and it's much more enjoyable. It does open your nose.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black