Simple guide to brewing

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

beerme

Simple guide to brewing

Post by beerme »

Just found the Simple Guide to Brewing by YankeeDag (a.k.a. Beer Nong). Wish I had done more poking around the 1st time I was here. Great info!................. Now, any reason I can't use one of those slimlines from WalMart to ferment 2 gallon batches? Just notch out two little venting holes in the top like the LBK. I already have 2 LBK's and one BD but those slimlines would be a great space saver, especially when I get a fridge for better temp. control.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arrow-H2O-2. ... e/15915151
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Simple guide to brewing

Post by mashani »

Yes, you can do it as long as the plastic is food safe, won't leach anything with acidic liquids or the presence of alcohol, and/or with warmer temperatures if you are going to be pouring anything hot into it (even if your pouring hot stuff into ice cold water to dilute it, the hot stuff can splash).

They are very "unclear" about what kind of plastic it is made of, so I can't answer if those things are all true. It does say "hand wash" which is a bit of a temperature warning, so I would not assume it is safe to dump anything hot into it. I would only put pre-chilled stuff into it without knowing more.

Even without notches it will still likely work as long as you don't crank the lid down all the way. It just needs to keep fruit flies out.
beerme

Post by beerme »

Thanks
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

It'd be a bit nervous about trying that. Swimme plastics do fine with beer for short periods, but break down with long exposure. I remember somebody used one of those big eager bottles successfully several times, then had it split wide open and he lost everything.

If you really want to try a cheap fermenter, look for the steeljan video on using a 2 (or 2.5?) gallon water jug as a 1 time fermenter (and water supply). If you can't find it, just look for steeljan on YouTube and start watching. If nothing else, you'l be entertained.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I remember reading of people using the slimlines for fermenters, but I don't recall the details.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

bpgreen wrote:It'd be a bit nervous about trying that. Swimme plastics do fine with beer for short periods, but break down with long exposure. I remember somebody used one of those big eager bottles successfully several times, then had it split wide open and he lost everything.

If you really want to try a cheap fermenter, look for the steeljan video on using a 2 (or 2.5?) gallon water jug as a 1 time fermenter (and water supply). If you can't find it, just look for steeljan on YouTube and start watching. If nothing else, you'l be entertained.

I really need to proofread before I hit submit. "Swimme" should be "Some" and "eagar bottles" should be "water bottles".
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

I wouldn't use one for anything brewing related.
Something about soft plastics I just don't like.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I used to use a slimline to bottle from because the spigot worked awesome with a bottling wand. But not to ferment in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck