Dry kit vs Brew Demon Canned kit

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Disasterdave

Dry kit vs Brew Demon Canned kit

Post by Disasterdave »

Hi new brewer here, made my first batch in the plastic carboy, now settling in the bottle. I'm taking advice I read on here and pulling one each week for four weeks and placing in fridge, then taste test them.

So I really liked the idea of the brew demon ,and bought one, made another 1 gallon kit (Brewers best) I had in it now fermenting! Heres my question, the canned kits brew demon sells (bought one) how do the stack up to a kit of dry ingredients like brewers best or others?

Is it cheating? :D

Do they taste as good ? :clink:

Sure looks easier

Thanks for response
Disasterdave
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Dry kit vs Brew Demon Canned kit

Post by bpgreen »

Some people consider it cheating. Some people also consider brewing extract kits cheating. Some people consider any kind of kit (or even using another person's recipe) cheating.

There are all kinds of brewing snobs.

I say you should brew what and how you like. If you like the beer you're making, that's what's important.

I haven't made a batch with prehopped extract in a long time. I remember I thought some were really good and I was less impressed with others.
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Beer goes into my fridge after 2-3 weeks conditioning at room temperature.

Canned kits v dried ingredients comes down to personal preference and how well it turned out.
Definitely not cheating.
Last edited by HerbMeowing on Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Hi Dave! I don't think hopped malt extracts (cans) are cheating either. I do think that extract steeping grains and hops are a little more interesting. My brewing improved (slowly) when I moved to mashing grain, but I don't think that was necessarily because of the method. Part of it was certainly that I was learning more, partly because some of the canned recipes didn't impress me. People brew for different reasons, I know a guy who only brews radical experimental or rare styles. He figures he can buy pilsners and pales. I brew what I want to drink because I enjoy the process and for me it's much cheaper than buying craft beer. I like mashing grain but if I don't have the time I'm happy to use extracts.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Welcome, brew what you're comfortable with till you get a couple under your belt. There is no cheating if you're brewing in the end, still need to boil, cool and ferment it!
:welcome: :cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Disasterdave

Post by Disasterdave »

Thanks for all the cool thoughts and comments. I will try grain brewing eventually, I live in 800 SF condo so space is limited :D And I still want my wife to like me.

Cheers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Disasterdave wrote:Thanks for all the cool thoughts and comments. I will try grain brewing eventually, I live in 800 SF condo so space is limited :D And I still want my wife to like me.
Cheers
When you decide to try it, you can do little 1 gallon batches on your stove top using something like a Brooklyn Brewing kit to start with to learn - and then if you want to go bigger, an all in one electric brewing device like a Mash & Boil or whatever like it is available then is just the ticket. Doesn't take a lot of space, and is easy to clean.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Disasterdave wrote:Thanks for all the cool thoughts and comments. I will try grain brewing eventually, I live in 800 SF condo so space is limited :D And I still want my wife to like me.

Cheers
I completely understand. I brew outside for the same reason!
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Disasterdave

Post by Disasterdave »

John Sand wrote:

Cheers
I have even less room outside and I'm on the 4th floor :lol:
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Disasterdave wrote:
John Sand wrote:

Cheers
I have even less room outside and I'm on the 4th floor :lol:
There are some electric options that would let you brew in an apartment. I've got a mash and boil, but there are other options.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

There are even little all in one appliances that fit on your counter top that are good for small batches. Those get poo-poo'd as "not real brewing" by snobs as well, but it is real brewing, it's just real brewing made simple and convenient (although more costly). I may get one of them one day but if I do it, it will be one where I can build my own recipe. (some of them use little pre-packaged "pods" like coffee makers, except for beer).