Sugar

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Disasterdave

Sugar

Post by Disasterdave »

NO I'm not being fresh :lol:
I just bottled (4th batch) the Zombie Dirt, 2 weeks in the Brew Demon and 2 weeks in bottles, then cold crashed in the fridge for over 24 hours. So heres the rub, I thought going to 16 Oz flip tops made sense. So from my 2 Gallon BD I bottled into 16 oz fliptops and excess into 4 each 12 oz bottles.
I used 1 each .10 oz sugaring rock :urock: per all bottles.
Yesterday I invited a friend over for a social distancing beer tasting and we each had 2 of the 12 oz bottles and it was pretty awesome, some bubbles and a good head.
Today popped one of the 16 oz flip tops and nothing , flat. sad, disappointed. :( :x

So feeling like a drug dealer got my cooking scale out and weighed the sugar rock (.10 oz) did the math and think I should add .03 - .04 sugaring to the 16 oz plus the rock.

Does that sound like a good fix? Any Suggestions? Besides go back to 12's.

DD
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Sugar

Post by HerbMeowing »

The 12s were well carbed with 0.10 oz (~3g) sugar so the 16 should have had some fizz.
Loose seal or it wasn't primed?

I'd be inclined to re-dose with another 3g. Nothing to lose at this point.
Swing-tops can take higher CO2 vols than other glass <<but not as high as PET>>
Check the seal ... too

I've found the carb level can be increased slightly by rousing the yeast-rich lees toward the end of Week 2 - carbing / warm conditioning.

Hold the bottle over the top by its neck with one hand and the bottom like you would a light bulb with the other.
Relax your grip and spin the bottom a time or three. You'll see the lees roused into suspension.
Repeat every other day for a few days.
Chill at least a week

Lees - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lees_(fermentation)
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers