The No Post Post

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: The No Post Post

Post by berryman »

I had a interesting brewday yesterday. I had the M&B set to come on at 7:00 am to get a early start (early for me that is). Was about 5 mins left before sparge and got a phone call from one of my neighbors, she said her pigs got out and were in the road, they (her and husband) were on their way to Kentucky and I was the closest but had others coming to help get them in. Me and Grandson went and got 4 back in before the others got there but still had one pig missing and we looked for a while but didn't find it and I said you guys got enough help here now and I got something cooking at home. A 2 1/2 hour mash yesterday, but all came out good in the end and the other missing pig came back on it's own to find the others like I figured it would do.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

berryman wrote:I had a interesting brewday yesterday. I had the M&B set to come on at 7:00 am to get a early start (early for me that is). Was about 5 mins left before sparge and got a phone call from one of my neighbors, she said her pigs got out and were in the road, they (her and husband) were on their way to Kentucky and I was the closest but had others coming to help get them in. Me and Grandson went and got 4 back in before the others got there but still had one pig missing and we looked for a while but didn't find it and I said you guys got enough help here now and I got something cooking at home. A 2 1/2 hour mash yesterday, but all came out good in the end and the other missing pig came back on it's own to find the others like I figured it would do.
I've been doing overnight mashes. I put the grain pipe (with grain) and water in and set the temperature, then set the timer for 24 hours, so it's ready whenever I'm able to brew.

An overnight mash can lead to a more fermentable wort.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I got the same OG I always get with that recipe.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Ever notice for those of you on Facebook and see someone post that they made moonshine? Apple, cherry, what ever and what ever. Everclear and favorings is all. Yes is good but they didn't make moonshine. You want to say you made moonshine, then do a mash and cook down and distill , then you made moonshine and add what you want after.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

berryman wrote:Ever notice for those of you on Facebook and see someone post that they made moonshine? Apple, cherry, what ever and what ever. Everclear and favorings is all. Yes is good but they didn't make moonshine. You want to say you made moonshine, then do a mash and cook down and distill , then you made moonshine and add what you want after.
Don't think I've ever said I made moonshine, but I have made shine! Yes, it's based off Everclear, what's wrong with that? Saying that, have you made moonshine? I'm thinking of getting the rest of the equipment to make some when I get time... yea, that's a joke, finding time... anywayz, Grainfather sells everything needed to turn my Graindfather WiFi kettle into a still.... I gotta do this someday. I've heard through the grapevine I had family (Hoosier farmers... LOL, well, they started in the Carolina's then through Tennessee into Indy) back in the day produce a gallon or 2 but that was before my time.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

yeah, I've pondered an experiment...still pondering
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Yankeedag wrote:yeah, I've pondered an experiment...still pondering
Might be hard to get away with, experimenting, living an a shytie like you do... now here, in Norf Dakoota, no problem. I can obtain most the ingredients for free, plenty of vacant/abandoned houses to do it in *IF* you wanted to do it on a grand scale. I'd trade some from you.... LOL A good experiment that would not smell so bad or be so obvious would be to make some apple jack. I want to do that sometime too.... if I can find time.... yeesh, it never ends. *I QUIT!!* Oh, wife just laughed and said get back at it... LOL
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FrozenInTime wrote: Don't think I've ever said I made moonshine, but I have made shine! Yes, it's based off Everclear, what's wrong with that?
Oh boy I just got FITS feathers flying in a bunch :) No I didn't say that. I have made glogg with everclear, port wine and spices, some different flavored drinks with everclear but can not call it your own 'shine unless mashed and distilled it. That's all i'm sayimg.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I want to clear this up. IF you use MB or BD canned you made beer. if use extract, LME or DME, steep, hop boil you made beer, if mash grains you made beer. I just get tired of hearing people on Facebook saying they made their own moonshine after buying some everclear and adding some fruit flavoring to it. Yes good stuff and fun to make but have not made moonshine, they bought everclear and about the closest can get from over the counter. A good but heavy duty flavored drink. I don't want FIT to think I was calling him out on that and I wasn't, just venting from some of the facebook post I see on this subject....All I got to say on this.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Hey... we good bro! I do understand what your saying. Another moonshine I like is made with, well, aww poop, it's not moonshine but everclear 190 flavored with fruit, sugar and some vodka..... LOL Drink-on, life's too short to get upset over semantics. Cheers!
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

:borg:

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I think when I get that Big stimulus check, going to smoke and drink till it's gone. As in buying some charcoal, meat, and pellets for smoking and grains, hops and yeast for drinking....
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

Don’t over do it...charcoal cost money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I swam competitively for many years, but then stopped for almost 40 years. A few years back, I started swimming again. At first, I could only swim 150 yards a day. And to do that, I'd swim 50 yards, rest several minutes, swim another 50, rest again, swim the last 50 and wait several minutes before I could manage to climb out of the pool.

I slowly increased the distance I swam until I was swimming 3000+ yards most days.

I later added biking, mostly so I could get some exerrcise on days when the pool was closed for some reason.

Then somebody at work posted about doing a 70.3 (half ironman). I realized that I was doing 2 of the 3 sports, so I started trying to run so I could participate (note that I don't say compete) in triathlons.

I signed up for a sprint triathlon labor day weekend 2019.

I've never been much of a runner. For the sprint triathlon, I wasn't up to running the fulll distance, even though that distance was only 3.25 miles. So I did it as a run/walk, running about 2/3 and walking about 1/3. My goal was to finish, hopefully not last.

I finished, and was actually in the top half for my age group (the old fogeys group).

So I signed up for 3 triathlons last year. Two sprints and one Olympic distance.

Then Covid hit. They cqancelled the Olympic distance triathlon and one of the sprints. Daily new cases were sky high here for the tri that wasn't cancelled, so I skipped it.

I also got pretty creative in finding ways to injure myself last year. Between Covid and injuries, I only got back to running (or trying to run) a couple of months ago, and have only been swimming about a month.

I'm not up to my pre-covid speeds for swimming or biking, but I'm actually doing better running (not fast, but better than before).

I'm signed up for a sprint tri this coming Saturday. This one has a "serpentine swim" in an indoor pool (swim to the end, duck under the lane line to the next lane, swim to the other end etc until there are no more lanes). So it's a really short swim, which helps others, but swimming is my strong sport, so it works against me.

Wish me luck.

I'm also signed up for a "traditional" sprint triathlon next month (750 meter open water swim). I plan to sign up for the same labor day sprint triathlon I did in 2019, then a week later I'm already signed up for an Olympic triathlon.

I routinely swim more than the Olympic distance, and often bike more. But I have to work up to the run distance.

If I can ever get to the point where I can run 13 miles, I may try a half ironman, but just so I can say I did it. I swim more than the half ironman distance almost every day. I haven't biked the distance, but I've biked more than 25 miles a few times, and doubling my biking distance isn't nearly as daunting to me as quadrupling my run.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW, plenty of people will walk a good bit of the 13 mile run in a half ironman in age groups (not pros obviously). You don't have to be able to run the whole thing to just "do it" as long as you don't care about where you finish and are just doing it to prove you can. Your swim is fast enough that as long as your cycling is also decently paced that you could walk a good bit and still make the cutoff. You have 8 1/2 hours to finish it. You could cycle as slow as 15mph and then still walk / jog as little as something like 5mph pace and still finish it as long as your out of the water as quickly as you would be.

My intro to tri was from run/bike as my things, so figured why not learn to swim and do it. My swimming sucks compared to yours though as you know. Although I can swim a half iron distance easily, you would likely be out of the water 10-15 minutes before me. I can swim 5k without stress, I've done some open water 5ks here with 2-3 foot waves. A wet suit helps me swim faster if I can wear one, which I could for those. (I'm skinny and dense and my twiggy marathon runner legs and arms are not good paddles, so anything that increases my buoyancy and "fattens me up" a bit helps).

But at least once a week, if not twice, I run and/or cycle half iron + miles. I could literally just go out and do a half ironman without any specific training at this point. I wouldn't be very competitive without specific training where I am peaking before the event, but I would finish it. If I trained to peak, I might be age group competitive depending on the event and how strong the field is. I'd do better overall in a half then an Olympic, because the swim isn't that much longer, but everything else that I am good at is twice as long. Half is really my ideal distance because of that.

Full iron, that would still be tough, and not something I would just roll out of bed and do. I would prefer an xterra version of something like this if I was to do it, I don't want to road run a full marathon, too much impact, would want to do it on dirt. Even for a half, I don't really want to run a half marathon on pavement either if I don't have to. I much prefer trail running, so for long distance tris I'd rather do xterra style these days. All the long distance runs I've done over the past 5 years have been on dirt/grass, I reserve road and track running for short hard intervals. (squishy padded road running shoes and my Achilles do not get along, I really only like to run in low drop somewhat firm shoes or racing flats). It's hard to get the old cross country runner out of me, it's what I do best.