Crazy question

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

DeBus

Crazy question

Post by DeBus »

Hey, not sure of where the best place to ask this is, so throwing out in this section.

Bought a case of Grain Belt the other day, and the 1st 2 cans i opened were flat. Squeezed some of the remaining cans and guessing they may be flat as well.

Is it a crazy idea to try and recarbonate them in bottles just like i would if i needed to re carb home brew?

Hate to waste a case of beer....
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Crazy question

Post by bpgreen »

It's not likely that there is any live yeast in that beer, so if you wanted to carbonate using priming sugar, you'd need to add some yeast. I have no idea how much you'd need to add.

If I were you, I'd probably try to return it. If that didn't work, I'd probably just use it for cooking.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

DeBus wrote:Hey, not sure of where the best place to ask this is, so throwing out in this section.

Bought a case of Grain Belt the other day, and the 1st 2 cans i opened were flat. Squeezed some of the remaining cans and guessing they may be flat as well.

Is it a crazy idea to try and recarbonate them in bottles just like i would if i needed to re carb home brew?

Hate to waste a case of beer....
Lets say you could, but what would be your process? Pouring it out of the original can to a bottling bucket with yeast and sugar to add back to bottles? I would have to ask myself if it's worth the hassle, it could be done but by the that time the beer will be oxidized and certainly not the same beer. I agree, and see if you can get your money back if anything, but that's about all.
Brew Strong My Friends...
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

You might try one can into a bottle just for fun. Add a sugar cube and a pinch of yeast.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.