What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by Beer-lord »

TonyKZ1 wrote:I Brewed a Dry Irish Stout this morning. It's a 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Midwest Supplies. Looked and smelled like a stout, so it ought to be pretty good. Since I've been checking the gravity, original and final, it's interesting how sometimes I'll get the suggested/recommended O.G. from the recipe vendor and other times not. This recipe was said to have an O.G. of 1.042, I measured 1.046. Not sure if that'll make any difference or not (probably not one that I can notice by tasting) but we'll see what it turns out to be when it's done in a few weeks.

It definitely makes the house smell good, so that even when my wife gets home later this evening she can tell that I was making beer. I also save the grains for her to use in baking. :cool:
I brewed this exact kit many years ago and recall it took a few weeks for it to meld together well but when it hit its stride, it was very enjoyable. Hope yours comes out just as well.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I put the 15 Minute Azacca Pale on tap. Tastes like straight fruit juice, pineapple and grapefruit. I expect it will mellow a little in the next few weeks.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

John Sand wrote:I put the 15 Minute Azacca Pale on tap. Tastes like straight fruit juice, pineapple and grapefruit. I expect it will mellow a little in the next few weeks.
I bet that’s pretty darn tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Nice, John. I should do another 15-minute pale ale using DME.... super quick but yummy.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Just brewed up a Kentucky Common (Dark Cream Ale). Been on my to brew list for a while. Not a style you hear much about, thought it would make for a nice spring beer. Image

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Brew Strong My Friends...
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Beer-lord wrote:
TonyKZ1 wrote:I Brewed a Dry Irish Stout this morning. It's a 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Midwest Supplies. Looked and smelled like a stout, so it ought to be pretty good. Since I've been checking the gravity, original and final, it's interesting how sometimes I'll get the suggested/recommended O.G. from the recipe vendor and other times not. This recipe was said to have an O.G. of 1.042, I measured 1.046. Not sure if that'll make any difference or not (probably not one that I can notice by tasting) but we'll see what it turns out to be when it's done in a few weeks.

It definitely makes the house smell good, so that even when my wife gets home later this evening she can tell that I was making beer. I also save the grains for her to use in baking. :cool:
I brewed this exact kit many years ago and recall it took a few weeks for it to meld together well but when it hit its stride, it was very enjoyable. Hope yours comes out just as well.
Thanks, I appreciate that, I'm hoping it turns out well too.

When we got back home Sunday, apparently the yeast had been very active as it had blew the Krausen/foam head through the airlock. So I removed it and installed a clean one. I've never had that happen before on a 5G batch. It happened normally on the 1G recipes that I made, so I'd use a blow-off tube on those for a few days and then install an airlock.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

@madBrewer - that's some clear wort going into the fermenter. Well done, sir.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Kealia wrote:@madBrewer - that's some clear wort going into the fermenter. Well done, sir.
Thanks. Since I started to ferment, carbonate and serve all out of the same keg I do try to get as clear of wort as possible going into the fermenter to start. A few new things have really helped with that.

Also, I didn't realize how large of a picture Tapatalk puts out there, I don't use it much. I guess I'll select small pic from now on.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Great pic. MB. The whole deal looks good.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Kegged a Brown Porter and a Munich Helles today.

Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Did you post the helles recipe somewhere? I'm considering what spring/summer beer to brew next. Bouncing in my head between helles, something light/smoked/wheat, or a light lager or cream ale...

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

swenocha wrote:something light/smoked/wheat
Swen, I can't even begin to explain how much I like the Grodziskie/Gratzer that I make, based on a recipe I found from a closed down German brewery from the early 1900s. It's really simple, 70% oak smoked wheat, 30% Pilsner (or 65/35 if using Viking Malts smoked wheat instead of Weyermann because the Viking malts one is a bit rougher edged and that ratio seems to make it similar). I brew it between 1.045-low 1.05s. Bittering AAUs like a wheat beer (not a lot) but 1/2oz or so each of Lubelski or if you can't get that then Saaz or the like as flavoring and aroma additions.

If you can get Lubelski (Farmhouse Brewing sells it), I *strongly recommend* that you use it. It has somewhat astounding levels of magnolia and lavender flavor/aroma. The ones I've made 100% Lubelski have been amazing. I have fallen in love with that hop. I used it in the Kolsch I'm drinking right now, and it's awesome in that too, although it makes it unlike any other Kolsch I've ever had because of how floral it is.

(if you hate the idea of magnolia in bloom levels of floral then stay away from it though and go with the Saaz).

70% smoked malt sounds insane, but the oak smoked wheat is unlike any other smoked malt, it's smoky but also sweet, it's almost self balancing. It doesn't remind me of sucking on cigarette butts, where most smoked malt either does that or else reminds me of bacon. This isn't like either of those things.

Ideally you can carb the snot out of it. You don't have to, but it is supposed to be like "Polish Champaign" as such.

It is one of my favorite beers now.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

berryman wrote:Image

Ill drink some of that. I would also be curious to see the recipe. I think Im going to work my way through Lagers, Kolsch, Cream Ale, etc this summer.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk