Fermenters - is there anything new??

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Fermenters - is there anything new??

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Hello All. I'm looking at replacing my plastic 6.5G fermenter buckets. I've had/used them for several years now. They've got stains of course, but after cleaning them from the last fermenting/bottling I did last weekend, I'm now noticing some deep scratches too.
They're still working good I guess, well other than the one fermenter bucket that I drilled a spigot hole in and drilled it too big :oops:

I've still got my 2-Brew Demon 3G conicals and my 2+ Mr. Beer 2.5G LBKs, they're still in good shape as I only use them for 1G recipes anymore. So I guess I could go back to using those, and just splitting a 5G recipe into two fermenters.
I like the idea of the Big Demon conical fermenter from Brew Demon ($160) and The Catalyst Fermentation System from Craft a Brew ($199), but they're both pretty expensive.

Or do I just order a couple more 6.5G fermenters from somewhere online, or go by my somewhat-local (an hour away from home or work) home brew shop and see if he's still open and has any in stock.
Hmmm, decisions, decisions...
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
BlackDuck

Re: Fermenters - is there anything new??

Post by BlackDuck »

You can get a 7 gallon stainless steel brew bucket from SS Brewtech for the same price as the catalyst system. It doesn’t have the trap at the bottom though. So if that’s necessary, then it’s not a comparison. But $200 for a stainless steel fermentor is a good price in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

BlackDuck wrote:You can get a 7 gallon stainless steel brew bucket from SS Brewtech for the same price as the catalyst system.
I will relate on this. I got the Ss Brewtech also and one of the best things I got for brewing. I have the temp gauge on mine and worth the extra few dollars more. Blackduck. beerlord, and Kelia had one before me and glad I took their advice. Worth the money.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

The twin recently bought one from Delta: https://www.deltabrewingsystems.com/pro ... k-8-gallon
He's very happy with it and it's pretty nice. Has a few tweaks that are nice.
I have 2 SS Brewtechs and love em. They'll be around after I'm gone. I may even take them with me if I can use them in the afterlife.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I don't regret buying the SS Brewbucket for a single minute.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Those stainless steel fermenters look great.

The Costco near me sells wheat and oatmeal in food grade buckets that are tube same size as the buckets ther brew stores sell.

I eat oatmeal regularly and started using wheat berries as a rice substitute long ago.

So I have a nearly unlimited supply of food grade buckets.