What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by TonyKZ1 »

mashani wrote:
berryman wrote:
TonyKZ1 wrote: Today I brewed a Kolschbier
By that description, makes me want to have one of those right now :) I use to get a lot of stuff from Midwest, but now tend to go to more beer more. Prices are usually better and super fast free shipping if the order is more then $59 and not hard to do. Check them out sometime.
Yes, I would like one of those Kolsch biers right now too.

FWIW, Northern Brewer (same as Midwest just different store front) jacked up all their prices a while back. But they randomly send me 20% discount codes. Sounds good, until try to buy grain or what not and then it says the discount code doesn't apply to grain or what not. Effectively for me it would only be useful to buy kits. But I can build the same kit at MoreBeer by buying the ingredients (with 0 discount) or my LHBS for much less then the kits, even with 20% discount at Northern. The one good thing I guess is if your willing to pay more, you can get "free" shipping on a smaller amount of stuff then at MoreBeer. But probably you can still buy the same thing at MoreBeer and still pay the shipping and it would cost the same or less. That's how jacked up the prices at Northern are right now on some stuff.
Yeah, I've noticed their prices have went up. I just figured it's like a lot of things that's went up in the last year or so. We like the "Bastard Stepson Root Beer Extract Beer Recipe Kit" but they've not had it in stock for quite some time. They say they're having problems getting some of the ingredients or something? I've ordered from MoreBeer before and have a few favorites there. That's nice to know about the free shipping after your bill goes over $59.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Brewed a Farmhouse Saison today. Efficiency was down some as expected with this size grain bill on my equipment, but all good otherwize.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled that Patersbier a few days ago.

I brewed an annoying disaster that hopefully will still turn out to be beer. If it is beer it will be a "Simcoe Saison" IE my too hot to brew an APA in the summer replacement beer, where I used 2oz of debittered Simcoe that was just 3.3% AA (what Yakima calls "American noble hops"). 50/50 split of Pils and Pale, with some Carahell, and 1oz of the hops @20, 1oz@flameout. Bella Saison yeast.

The annoyance was water main break and intermittent water outages. It took me hours to fill the mash & boil with "boil alert" water because by the time I flushed out as much of the brown crud and got the water as clear as possible and started filling, they'd turn it off again. Luckily boiling was on the menu anyways, as well as some potassium metabisulfide treatment that I always do anyways.

The disaster was that I again forgot to put the grain basket in the mash & boil. I figured this out about 1 hour after mashing in when I went to kick up the temps for a mashout, and saw that it said "186 degrees" on the readout. Now I'm certain that the entire mash wasn't actually 186 degrees, and it was just that a pile of grain heated directly by the element was sitting directly on the temperature probe. But I honestly have no idea what the actual mash temps were, clearly very different from bottom to top though. I know I got conversion I had sweet wort. I ended up dumping the mash out of the mash & boil into 3 small fermenters, and it sat in them mashing some more while I cleaned out the mess. Then I just put the basket back in and dumped it all back into the mash & boil through the basket, then drained and sparged as normal. I couldn't pull a hydro sample as my hydrometer went to live with the gods when I pulled it out of storage capping off my brew day. So really I have no idea what I'm going to get here besides something Simcoey.

Regardless of type of conversion and/or if it was fully converted, the Bella will eat everything in there and even the starch if there is some, so it should be beer none the less.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:I bottled that Patersbier a few days ago.

I brewed an annoying disaster that hopefully will still turn out to be beer. If it is beer it will be a "Simcoe Saison" IE my too hot to brew an APA in the summer replacement beer, where I used 2oz of debittered Simcoe that was just 3.3% AA (what Yakima calls "American noble hops"). 50/50 split of Pils and Pale, with some Carahell, and 1oz of the hops @20, 1oz@flameout. Bella Saison yeast.

The annoyance was water main break and intermittent water outages. It took me hours to fill the mash & boil with "boil alert" water because by the time I flushed out as much of the brown crud and got the water as clear as possible and started filling, they'd turn it off again. Luckily boiling was on the menu anyways, as well as some potassium metabisulfide treatment that I always do anyways.

The disaster was that I again forgot to put the grain basket in the mash & boil. I figured this out about 1 hour after mashing in when I went to kick up the temps for a mashout, and saw that it said "186 degrees" on the readout. Now I'm certain that the entire mash wasn't actually 186 degrees, and it was just that a pile of grain heated directly by the element was sitting directly on the temperature probe. But I honestly have no idea what the actual mash temps were, clearly very different from bottom to top though. I know I got conversion I had sweet wort. I ended up dumping the mash out of the mash & boil into 3 small fermenters, and it sat in them mashing some more while I cleaned out the mess. Then I just put the basket back in and dumped it all back into the mash & boil through the basket, then drained and sparged as normal. I couldn't pull a hydro sample as my hydrometer went to live with the gods when I pulled it out of storage capping off my brew day. So really I have no idea what I'm going to get here besides something Simcoey.

Regardless of type of conversion and/or if it was fully converted, the Bella will eat everything in there and even the starch if there is some, so it should be beer none the less.

Wilson!

I was going to say you locked out not getting an E4, but I guess it wouldn't get that hot in the mash.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Williams actually says a BIAB bag that touches the bottom could trigger an E4, but I guess that would "conform" more to the surface of the sensor then random bits of grain? But I would think the sensor has to register above 220 or something like that to trip, otherwise you could never boil?

It is fermenting vigorously in my 6 gallon fermenter, so the yeast likes it, whatever it is.
IMG_1547.JPG
IMG_1547.JPG (18.74 KiB) Viewed 17073 times
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mashani wrote: It is fermenting vigorously in my 6 gallon fermenter, so the yeast likes it, whatever it is.
It could come out one as one of the best you ever made, but how would you copy that? :D
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Kegged a Farm house Saison today and brewed a hef like beer but with the banana yeast. Still cooling down now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Haha, your gonna be a very drunk farmer thanks to Bella Saison.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Working on a Blonde Ale today. I’ve never done one, so something new for me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Two weekends in a row now I've brewed. Last one was a SMaSH with El Dorado hops and Maris otter grain. And today I brewed my Citra-nilla vanilla IPA with citra hops of course and the vanilla bean will go in in the secondary. It felt good to get the brew pot going again.ImageImageImage

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

That's quite the chiller you got there Leigh! Homemade?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Beer-lord wrote:That's quite the chiller you got there Leigh! Homemade?
Yeah I made that years ago. I made the mistake of buying straight line 1/2” copper then realize that it was too difficult to bend so I got out the torch and a bunch of 90° elbows and there you have my hip to be square wort chiller.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Today I'm brewing a Hefeweizen. It's the Hank's Hefeweizen 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Midwest Supplies. I don't recall drinking a hefeweizen before let alone making one, so this will be something new.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

TonyKZ1 wrote:Today I'm brewing a Hefeweizen. It's the Hank's Hefeweizen 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Midwest Supplies. I don't recall drinking a hefeweizen before let alone making one, so this will be something new.
Hef's are good, I brew them quite often. A nice light wheat beer. I have done that same one before. What you use for yeast?
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled the "Simcoe Saison" which was the table saison using Bella and de-bittered Simcoe ("American noble hops" as Yakima describes them).

From the sample I drew, it is for sure the least bitter beer I've ever made with 2oz of Simcoe. As in not very, and it fermented down to 0.997 because Bella Saison.

They said 3.n% AA and they meant it. The Simcoe flavor is also more subtle then it would have been if I used the real thing though. So don't use this stuff as a late addition and expect to get the full on Simcoe experience, it seems pretty mellow.

I honestly don't know if/how they de-bitter / mellow the Simcoe, or if it's just a batch that came out like that so they labeled it as such so they could sell it, or in my case include it with some hop sampler pack.

Anyways this will be good beer, but it's not going to be an APA in disguise, it's mellower then that.

I brewed 6 gallons of Wit bier with Pils, Malted Wheat, Raw Wheat. (45% pils, 45% Malted Wheat, 10% raw wheat). I bittered it with some Cluster, and then used 0.5oz each of Sweet Orange peel, Coriander seed, and Grains of Paradise @10. No late hops. Using LalBrew Wit. That yeast is what they used to call Munich, but it never made good Hefes or German wheat beers, as it doesn't produce enough banana and cloves and makes apple and citrus flavors instead. They replaced it with "Munich Classic" which is more of a true hefe yeast. In any case it should do fine here as I don't want a lot of banana or clove.