The No Post Post

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: The No Post Post

Post by bpgreen »

I'm not sure how much times change swimming open water vs pool. Before the pandemic, I could do 1650 yards in about 28 minutes. I'm at about 30:30 now. I was checking my time for 2075 yards (close to half ironman distance) at one time, but I don't remember for sure what it was. I think it was about 35 minutes.

You started running, then added biking and added swimming because it was the only one missing. Running is your best, swimming is your worst. So half ironman is your best.

I'm the opposite. I started with swimming, then added biking and added running because it was the only one missing. Swimming is my best, running is my worst. So Olympic is my best. Right now, a true sprint triathlon is probably better for me because my running is so bad, but I've got great endurance in swimming and biking (my average pace biking improves when I go farther than 15 miles).

I could probably average about 16 mph for 56 miles (not today, but once I'm back in shape).

A 5 mph pace is a 12 minute mile. That's about my pace for a 5k.

But if I can get back to my previous swim speed and if I can maintain 16 mph for the bike (I should take a long ride some time just to check), I would have 4 hours or so (depending on transition) to finish before time's up. I can walk a mile in about 13:45 if I'm pushing. But that's not after swimming and biking and it's only a mile. If I'm tired, my walking pace is closer to 16. Doing a run/walk? Even after a swim and bike should be ok.

Maybe I'll try a 70.3 next fall (2022) just so I can say I did one. But I think I'm better suited for races where the swim is a bigger portion.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'm not sure how much times change swimming open water vs pool
This is hard to judge exactly. If you flip turn and kick off the wall and dolphin kick underwater for 1/8 - 1/4 of a length, then you are gaining time doing that on every length/lap that you will not get swimming open water. If you do open turns, then you aren't gaining that time, but maybe giving yourself a little bit of a break on HR that you won't get swimming open water. Also open water involves currents, so if you are going with one, you go way fast, if you are going against one, you are going way slow, cross currents will push you off course and you have to adjust, big waves make it so that bi-lateral breathing can be more helpful then if you were pool swimming, also bi-lateral breathing can help you sight a buoy or a boat or whatever is on the course better and stay on course as there isn't a line at the bottom of the pool you can use to judge if your going in a straight line. Also you are possibly drafting off the feet of a whole bunch of other swimmers where in a pool that would likely be considered rude but is just how it is in a tri swim. Open water tri swims can get pretty gnarly, you can and will get kicked and smacked around if you are trying to swim up front or aggressively try to take the shortest line around the buoys. Since I am not fast I just stay out of that shit.
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

sounds way exhausting to me...I'll just pull another one and watch....y'all be careful, ya hear?
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I did flip turns when I was young, but I tried for a while when I stated again, and just couldn't seem to get the timing down, so I'd end up needing to paddle back a bit to push off. So I just gave up and started doing open turns.

I should probably take a few minutes after a swim and just try some flip turns to get the timing right.

I've seen people do that underwater kick thing (some get quite a way across the pool) but I've never tried it. When I was swimming, we mostly started swimming as soon as we could except for breaststroke.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

bpgreen wrote: I've seen people do that underwater kick thing (some get quite a way across the pool) but I've never tried it. When I was swimming, we mostly started swimming as soon as we could except for breaststroke.
In a competitive pool swim you are only allowed to do it for 15 yards / meters. There would be indicators marking the cutoff spot. If allowed to be done further some freestyle swimmers who can hold their breath for a 25 or 50 would just do it for the whole 25 or the whole 2nd half of a 50 and set new world records, it's perhaps the fastest possible way for a human without flippers to swim for a short duration if done correctly. The reason you see every Olympic swimmer doing it for the maximum distance allowed after every flip turn is also for this reason, without doing it they wouldn't be competitive.

You could do it as much as you want in open water swims I think from a "legal" sense, but obviously you can't hold your breath for an entire tri swim so its not going to help so much there, and also it would be difficult to stay on course - no lane lines and such to follow - and you'd be wasting time / energy bobbing up to the surface and then back down below to breath and counteracting the benefits. It is the flip turn that puts you in the right place to start it in a pool that makes it so effective, no wasted energy and a propulsion boost from the kick off the wall that the dolphin kick helps preserve.

Anyways, shorter answer is you could gain a good bit of time if you learned how to do a flip turn / dolphin kick in a pool swim. It just doesn't translate to an open water tri swim in the same way.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I only got snooze once and got there before 6.

My swim was a little slower than last time, which wasn't a big surprise since I've only been back in the pool for a month.

My bike was slightly faster and my run was quite a bit faster (largely because I ran the whole way this time and did a run/ walk the other time).

My overall time was almost 5 minutes faster than last time, so even though I'm slower than most I'm happy that I'm improving.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Yankeedag wrote:sounds way exhausting to me...I'll just pull another one and watch....y'all be careful, ya hear?
Can you pull one for me too? We’ll sit and watch together!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

bpgreen wrote:I only got snooze once and got there before 6.

My swim was a little slower than last time, which wasn't a big surprise since I've only been back in the pool for a month.

My bike was slightly faster and my run was quite a bit faster (largely because I ran the whole way this time and did a run/ walk the other time).

My overall time was almost 5 minutes faster than last time, so even though I'm slower than most I'm happy that I'm improving.
In my book, that's all that matters.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

BlackDuck wrote:
Yankeedag wrote:sounds way exhausting to me...I'll just pull another one and watch....y'all be careful, ya hear?
Can you pull one for me too? We’ll sit and watch together!!!

Works for me.... :fillup

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:In my book, that's all that matters.
Same!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:
Kealia wrote:In my book, that's all that matters.
Same!
I meant to post the link to my results in case anybody is interested.

https://snstri.itsyourrace.com//qrresults/23d0a91e/66

According to my fitness watch, my run was at an average pace of 11:30 per mile. That would actually be pretty good for me (I'm not a runner). I've been closer to 13:00 on runs longer than 3 miles. My chip time makes it closer to 11:05, which is great for me. That's closer to my usual time for a mile (my best is a little better than 10:00).

The run is where I can improve the most, but I'm pretty sure I can improve in the other areas, as well.

I've got another sprint triathlon coming up in June with traditional sprint distances. This one had a super short swim, slightly short bike and slightly long run due to constraints in where it's run (indoor swim; bike and run on streets and trails, so they found routes that came close). The distances for this one were 350 yards swim, 12 mile bike, 3.3 mile run. The traditional distances are half the Olympic distances, so 750 meter (~825 yard) swim, 20 km (~12.42 mi) bike, 5 km (3.107 mi) run. I should benefit from the longer swim and shorter run.

I've got another "baby" sprint like the one yesterday on labor day. The following week, I've got an Olympic distance. If I can build up to the 10k run, that should be even better for me (relatively speaking). I've got a lot of endurance swimming, so my time for 1500 meters is only slightly more than double my time for 750. And when I'm up to par, I'm actually faster on longer bike rides (although that may be due to a large hill at the startof most of my rides).
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Tomorrow is going to be a interesting brewday. To start somewhat early in the morning, going to overload the M&B with 16.5 grain, then leaving it for a while to go to a Dr. appointment, then come back and it it suppose to rain all day so my grandson will have to stay in my basement with me instead of being outside and I told him if wants to stay he has to play his video games and leave me alone and not wanting this or that, yes he can help but not changing my plans otherwise he can go home and only a 1/4 mile down the road. Of course he wants to stay so will see what happens. He is always good when he can be outside, but staying inside is a different deal.

O
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

Hi folks!
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

Howdy. It’s 04:57 here. Going back to sleep

BlackDuck

The No Post Post

Post by BlackDuck »

Wait a minute. What’s going on here. Tabasco and Dag post back to back? Good to see you guys.

ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck