What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by TonyKZ1 »

berryman wrote:
TonyKZ1 wrote:Today I'm brewing a Hefeweizen. It's the Hank's Hefeweizen 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Midwest Supplies. I don't recall drinking a hefeweizen before let alone making one, so this will be something new.
Hef's are good, I brew them quite often. A nice light wheat beer. I have done that same one before. What you use for yeast?
I used the SafAle WB-06 German Wheat Beer Dry Yeast, one of the options with the recipe. I haven't used that yeast before but it wasn't long before the airlock was bubbling. So I'll be bottling it in a couple weeks and then we'll see how it turns out after some time carbonating and conditioning.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

TonyKZ1 wrote: I used the SafAle WB-06 German Wheat Beer Dry Yeast, one of the options with the recipe. I haven't used that yeast before but it wasn't long before the airlock was bubbling. So I'll be bottling it in a couple weeks and then we'll see how it turns out after some time carbonating and conditioning.
FYI: If you decide you want to make this again but want more banana flavor, then with WB-06, you can ferment between 74-78 (yes, 78 is out of spec according to the packaging) and you will get it. To get as much banana as some liquid hefe yeasts, you pretty much have to ferment that warm with it.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Kegged the blonde ale this morning. Going to give it a quick carb process. Never done it before, so I thought I would give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
RightHoJeeves

Post by RightHoJeeves »

I have three things fermenting at the moment…an IPA, a Pilsner and an Oatmeal Stout. All from Brewdemon. I’m three weeks in, just checked and my gravity is terminal but all three are still cloudy and smell a bit like apples…so I’m going to let ‘em ride and take another sample in another week.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Bottled the Wit Bier.

Brewed what I am calling "Triple Dubbel". This is another experiment that will yield beer. The best kind of experiment!

It started off as a very strong concentrated wort that was basically 40% Pils, 40% Pale, 19.something % Malted Oats, and whatever small % 4oz of Special B was. I effectively maxed out the M&B with grains and water, and obviously sparged this batch, not BIAB like. This was to give me a wort that I could split between 3 fermenters and dilute (like a big Macro brewery process to get extra capacity out of hot side equipment on a mini scale) and then add individual doses of candi syrup to make up for the dilution. Used some Cluster to bitter, some Saaz @20, and 1/2oz each of Orange Peel, Coriander, and Grains of Paradise @10, because I expect some of this to last until the holidays and wanted it to be a good festivus bier.

In one fermenter went ~10oz of 5L candi syrup.
In fermenter #2 went ~5oz of 5L and ~5oz of 180L (so effectively sort of like 90L).
In fermenter #3 went ~10oz of 180L.

Pitched Abbaye yeast in all 3. All 3 will ferment at the same temps and such.

There will be ~8.5 gallons of beer bottled out of this batch total. OG should be effectively about 1.067 or there about even by my calcs, even though I diluted it because of the candi syrup additions (I can't really measure its true final OG at this point but that's what it should have worked out to be).

Fun times.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mashani wrote: Brewed what I am calling "Triple Dubbel". This is another experiment that will yield beer. The best kind of experiment!
Fun times.
This sounds like could be intersting................
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I had quite a busy brew-related weekend.

Saturday I kegged the Ottertoberfest. It was brewed back in March, and it's been cold-conditioning in the lager fridge at around 32º for quite some time. I'm really looking forward to tapping that in a week or so!

Sunday I brewed the Littlejohn's Ale, a milk stout that I want to bottle condition for a few months so I'll have it for the holidays/winter imbibing. If I'm really pleased with this batch, I may enter it in a competition in February.

And I just finished kegging a batch of South Ferry Steam Beer, a favorite of mine that I brew quite often. The pipeline is nice and full!
:fedora: :fedora: :fedora:
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Schöenwald Schwarzbier
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

berryman wrote:
mashani wrote: Brewed what I am calling "Triple Dubbel". This is another experiment that will yield beer. The best kind of experiment!
Fun times.
This sounds like could be intersting................
I bottled this, it will be interesting to compare them.

I brewed something like the "smacked orange stout" I make sometimes, except am doing it like a "Belgian Stout".

So it think of it as like an 1.06ish oatmeal stout recipe that I bittered with cluster, but I used only 8oz of roasted grains, in place of the rest I added 4oz of Special B and used 1# of 240L candy syrup instead. On top of the stone fruit vibe, the 240L has a burnt/roasty edge to it, so it will work nicely to replace the rest of the roasted grains. Used 1oz of sweet orange peel @10, and will ferment with Abbaye yeast.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled the above beer and brewed an "Oak Smoked Dunkelweizen".
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Kegged a pumpkin spice yesterday and brewed a highly citrus IPA today. Make a lot of Apa’s but haven’t done a IPA lately. Nice brew day and hit the numbers right on.

Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

That size beer is perfect for the way I brew with the Mash&Boil, if get much bigger grain bill the numbers drop. 11 lbs 2 row pale, 2 lbs Belgian pilsner and .750 crystal 15. 8.5 oz hops. mashed @150
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by Ricklust »

berryman wrote:Kegged a pumpkin spice yesterday and brewed a highly citrus IPA today. Make a lot of Apa’s but haven’t done a IPA lately. Nice brew day and hit the numbers right on.

That’s a nice clean looking brew in that Hydro-Tube !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Slainté ☘️
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

TY Rick....
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Kegged a beer on Friday and brewed another one on Sunday. Sunday's brew was using Lallemand Voss Kveik yeast. First time using this. Chilled to 85, pitched and in 5 hours it was already down 25%. By the next morning, it was finished. Maxed out at 90 degrees only because I set the keezer to not go any higher. I'll be drinking it 7 days after brewing. Still can't get use to this stuff.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

I brewed a German Pilsner awhile back and used the Omega Kveik OYL 057 yeast. I pitched and kept at 90 degrees. That yeast took off and was gobbling away 4 hours later. Fermentation finished in 2-3 days. I could taste hints of Mango. That being said I went today to the LHBS to duplicate the same recipe. I bought the Kveik OYL 071 Lutra dry yeast this time. It can be pitched and kept around 90 degrees that will produce fruit flavors or it can be pitched and kept around 65-70 degrees to produce a pseudo-lager beer. I will try both ways and compare the results. Wondering if anyone else ever used the Kveik OYL 071 Lutra before ?
Last edited by Ricklust on Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slainté ☘️