What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by mashani »

bpgreen wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:05 pm .997? Wow.
Yeah, Bella Saison yeast be like that. It is a domesticated version of Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus. It can eat break down starch and complex sugars into simple sugars and eat it all on its own. So, it doesn't really matter what your mash temp is, it will eat it anyway as long as you pitch enough and it doesn't run out of the nutrients required for the enzymes it makes (glucoamylase for example) to do that to work. If you brewed a regular beer and got even just 1 cell of a wild version of this stuff got into your bottle, then some months down the road it might explode. Most "gusher" infections are caused by a wild version of this stuff.

I only use it in 1.06 or < beers these days, usually 1.05 or <. I've used it in 1.09 beers once. That was mental as far as final beers ABV. I think that beer finished at 1.001. It just eats.

Anyway, I brewed a Franken American APA today with 10# of pale malt, 1 can of Mr. Beer Bewitched Amber that I got at a garage sale for a couple of bucks, 3oz of Mosiac, and a couple of packs of Coopers Ale yeast.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Anyway, I brewed a Franken American APA today with 10# of pale malt, 1 can of Mr. Beer Bewitched Amber that I got at a garage sale for a couple of bucks, 3oz of Mosiac, and a couple of packs of Coopers Ale yeast.
I was babysitting a crazy dog which is why I've been AWOL, but he finally went home so I bottled this. Trying to figure out what to brew next tomorrow.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Brewed 6 gallons of "Belgian Stout". Because why not?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:21 pm Brewed 6 gallons of "Belgian Stout". Because why not?
In bottles, and is going to be great!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Since I have a hella lot of Citra to use, I brewed a Zombie Dust clone.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

mashani wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:31 am Since I have a hella lot of Citra to use, I brewed a Zombie Dust clone.
Yum! :banana:
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I still haven't brewed since I retired. Why don't I have more free time?
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

bpgreen wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:16 am I still haven't brewed since I retired. Why don't I have more free time?
:lol:
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Today I Brewed a Simply Beer. American Wheat, I'm going to add Strawberry flavoring to this one. The Mango flavoring I added to the last Wheat Ale turned out pretty good, a mango aroma more so than a over powering flavor, although a little more flavor would probably have been good. Definitely drinkable though.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Curious: What process are you using for the flavor? Do you add to fermenter, or do you add at bottling?
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

My 8 or 9 year old kegerator died and while I had planned to use a keezer going forward, until I move in 2 years, it wasn't in the cards but I got a good deal on a Komos kegerator and love it. But, I obviously didn't tighten my 3 gas lines well enough and.....well, emptied a tank. :) I'm good now and have a back up but, just when you think you are experienced..............................you suck! I had a good laugh and am drinking good beer!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

mashani wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:49 am Curious: What process are you using for the flavor? Do you add to fermenter, or do you add at bottling?
I'm adding it to the fermenter a day before bottling. After searching online some people said to add it at the time of bottling. Some recipes say to put it in a day or two before bottling to let the flavor blend/mix well. So that's what I've been doing and it seems to work well enough I guess.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yesterday I brewed up batch #(I lost count) of Levitation.

For those not familiar, this is a clone recipe of Stone's Levitation (AmberAle) that they discontinued a while ago.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:31 am Since I have a hella lot of Citra to use, I brewed a Zombie Dust clone.
I bottled this.

I had very limited ingredients on hand, just one bag of crushed malt and some raw organic honey I got 50% off on Woot. So, I tried something that is either going to turn out awesome or crap we will see.

A 5.5 gallon batch of hopped "Session Braggot" with 5# of pilsner that I mashed at 158 to get as much body out of it as possible, 1# of home toasted and steamed oats (going for "Golden Naked Oats" type vibe), 2# of honey that I caramelized a bit to get some crystal malt vibe out of it, 2# more of untouched raw honey both added to the whirlpool, also used some yeast fuel and whirfloc. It was lightly bittered and whirlpool hopped with Wakatu hops which are like Hallertau with a hint of lime zest mixed with the floral aroma. It's slow chilling now. I'm going to use Verdant IPA yeast or Nottingham, I haven't decided yet, I have 20 hours to figure that out. I could also use T-58 but I think for this that would be a no. I also have a pack of K-97 German Ale/Kolsch yeast, but I think I want to save it for when it's colder, same with the Notty, so it will probably be the Verdant, the Verdant will also likely leave the most body left behind, and that's not going to be a bad thing.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

That sounds interesting.

What's the purpose of toasting and steaming the oats? I've used oats before, but I've just used them raw.

I think I agree with your reasoning on the yeast choice. T-58 is a great yeast for the right beer. But this doesn't serum like the right beer for it. And since notty and the kolsch yest are both good for cold temperatures, verdant wins. I've never used that yeast, so I'll be interested in hearing your report. I haven't used a kolsch yeast, either, but Nottingham would likely ferment that down lower than you want, even mashing at 158.