Stout Ideas and suggestions.

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Stout Ideas and suggestions.

Post by berryman »

My first brew of the year (and first one since last Aug.) is going to be a Founders Breakfast clone. My problem is the grain bill size, 16.75 and I have done that big in the M&B but my efficiency really falls and it is a lot more work to mash. 13 lbs 2 row and rest (3.75) specialty malts. Question, what if i just steeped the special or treat it like a minimash and add one lb of 2 row in a bag? that would put me at 12 lbs in the M&B and my favorite amount, I still have my 8 gal megapot and a bag to mash that on. Thoughts?
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Stout Ideas and suggestions.

Post by bpgreen »

That sounds like it would work.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I see no reason why that won't work.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Thats pretty much what I did for the dopplebock. I just did a separate mini mash in my old pot and then boiled that on my stove while I mashed and then boiled the other in the M&B, and then combined them all in the M&B when the volume allowed for it.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Using Wyeast 1450 with a starter. I am going to add lactose and is not in the recipe, but I want to add it at kegging after I get my FG. Has anyone done this at kegging or bottling? Kinda like back sweetening wine to taste. I have made milk stouts but have put the lactose in at the end of the boil and it is always a guessing game if enough or too much, and the OG and FG are off, but approx. 6-7 points per lb on top and bottom.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

As long as it's boiled in some water so it was pasteurized before adding, I don't see why it would be a problem. It's not quite the same as back sweetening wine when you have tossed in stuff to murder all the yeast and bugs so you would want to be careful like that. (Although you could do that in beer when kegging and force carbing if you wanted to, I suppose). I know that your yeast used there will not eat the lactose, but other bugs may happily do it.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mashani wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:33 pm I know that your yeast used there will not eat the lactose, but other bugs may happily do it.
Yes and will do a boil before adding and when make wine have to kill the yeast before back sweeting or will keep working, but get temp. down low enough wild yeast can't do much either. As far as I know not much will eat lactose. You think Bella would? I would wonder, that stuff takes everything down,
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I don't know for sure, but since Bella / French Saison produces enzymes that can convert even unconverted starch and complex sugars into fermentable sugars and ferment it anyways, and mash temperature is more or less irrelevant when using it because of this when it is pitched in high enough quantities and/or enough nutrients are present to allow it to make those enzymes until it's all chewed up, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to whack off bits of lactose molecules and turn them into something it can eat as well.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

This recipe calls for 2 more oz. of coffee a week before bottling, never done it before with coffee, just hops and commando, no problem. Should I boil maybe a cup of water with the coffee first? I'm thinking I should.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've only used coffee twice but I found making cold brew was better for a coffee porter I made. Supposedly it's not a bitter and acrid than boiled coffee. It should sit for about 24 hours in the fridge.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Beer-lord wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:07 pm I've only used coffee twice but I found making cold brew was better for a coffee porter I made. Supposedly it's not a bitter and acrid than boiled coffee. It should sit for about 24 hours in the fridge.
Yes, I think the cold brew would be the way to go, I was just thinking a possible infection on raw coffee, I overthink on things that I have not tried myself. :borg2:
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

berryman wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:38 pm
Beer-lord wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:07 pm I've only used coffee twice but I found making cold brew was better for a coffee porter I made. Supposedly it's not a bitter and acrid than boiled coffee. It should sit for about 24 hours in the fridge.
Yes, I think the cold brew would be the way to go, I was just thinking a possible infection on raw coffee, I overthink on things that I have not tried myself. :borg2:
You could always "cold brew it" but then boil the final product before adding it.