brewmax booster

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mregione

brewmax booster

Post by mregione »

I got two refill kits for mr beer from someone and a bunch of brewmax booster packages. the refills are just past use by date (one by 2 months, one by a month). the brewmax booster packages are white and also some gold color, both have the same ingredients. a few are hard so I dont know if they are bad or if these go bad. anyone have some suggestions before I brew up one of these only to find out the booster was bad?
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: brewmax booster

Post by bpgreen »

The cans of extract are still usable, unless they have leaks or if they are bulging. If there are any leaks or bulges, they should be discarded because they can contain toxins that can't be destroyed even through boiling. The end result will likely be a little different than originally intended, but they'll still make beer. There are reactions that happen that can make the exract a little darker and a little less fermentable, and the hops may fade to an extent, so the resulting beer will likely be a little darker and sweeter than originally designed.

The booster should be fine to use, even the packets that are hard. You'll probably want to break up the ones that are bricks so that they dissolve more readily, or maybe soak them in hot water until the booster dissolves. But it should be just fine to use.