carbing

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

carbing

Post by berryman »

So I always like to try something new, New to me that is. I mostly do the set and forget carbing at serving pressure and in about a week or so might try and close to carb, and a few more days is good,I have tried the shake high pressure fast but don't like bleeding off and wasting co2, doing the 24 hr burst deal now. set at 30 psi for 24 hours and then will drop back to 10 tomorrow. will see what that will get me.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: carbing

Post by John Sand »

I do the burst, 30 psi for 30 hours.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I now almost always do 30psi for 24 hours, 18 for another 24 then serving pressure. While some beers are still a bit green, I love trying them early so I can see just how they change over the next few weeks.
I crash all my beers before kegging and even if I set it to 11-12 and let it go, it's got decent carbonation in 2-3 days.
I think you can easily over carb with the shake and roll method.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Last night I had a decent carbed irish red that I kegged the day before, so this does work. Not sure I would do it every time because I think beer always get's better with some lager time and in a week at serve pressure it is always drinkable but a few more days is better. The only problem that I have doing it this way is I just have a single regulator but a 4 valve manifold, so I have to shut off the gas to other beers that are already carbed for the 24 hours.
John Sand wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:31 am I do the burst, 30 psi for 30 hours.
I think was over 24 hrs, I didn't time it but maybe 26-28.
Beer-lord wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:24 am I think you can easily over carb with the shake and roll method.
Yes what I found when I tried it my one and only time and who wants to drink cloudy, riled up, over carbed foamy beer?
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

> Yes what I found when I tried it my one and only time and who wants to drink cloudy, riled up, over carbed foamy beer?

2 of those things describe NE IPAs lol.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mashani wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:37 am 2 of those things describe NE IPAs lol.
Would be the perfect style for that.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I do the shake, rattle and roll. Connect to the tank at 18 psi, roll for a bit until the (bubbling) all but stops. Sit in storage until used, most times a couple months. I always place in chill box for 3 days before tapping. Never had cloudy beer nor over carbed. Usually comes out to my liking so it works for me. Might have to try the blast to 30 psi for 30ish hours and drop to 18 psi to try it some-time. When I brew, I usually keep 2-3 kegs on stand-by so I don't do green.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

in a few more days I'm going to keg a Cascade APA and going to do the 24-30Hr @30 again. What I like about this is I didn't have to bleed down and waste CO2 and wasn't over carbed and everything was settled. The Co2 was absorbed, so actually the same amount that would of been used with set and forget but about a week quicker. I still want to try the keg prime with sugar sometime if I could ever get that far ahead of my consumption. :)
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I kegged a almost SMaSH (a little c-10 and carapils] PA , was cold crashed to 40 deg in the fermenter. Set @30 psi and was going to try Johns Sands 30 for 30 but tried a few at 24 (that time of day for me :) ) and was very close, about like a week on set and forget. So I tried the Beer-lord 18 psi for 24 more hours and was perfect carbed. This was a good style beer for semi quick carbing as it was a simple beer @1.054 and hit fg 1.010 in 4 or 5 days but with dry hop and cold crash It was 12 days in the fermenter. So 14 days have a good beer,
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Glad to hear it. I kegged yesterday and had it on 30 for 24 hours and now down to 18. I'll try a taste in a bit but it's usually nearly there after 2 full days. Still a few more days sitting and clearing is helpful but if you want it fresh a f$(%, this is the way to do it.
Mine would be 2 weeks since I brew this coming Tuesday. When it's ready, it's ready!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black