s-05 = wlp001

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

s-05 = wlp001

Post by berryman »

I have always used 05 on a lot of stuff I make, decided to go liquid with a started on the recent IPA brewed, same strain I understand. My observations was that it was slower to start. Pitched at 68 degs. and set the inkbird for 66. next morning was expecting to see some high amount of fermenting and it was down to 63 and was starting some. going to take me a little longer to get this one done but will be alright. The reason I did it with 001 instead of the 05 dry was only about 3.00 cheaper and I like to make starters in between brewing.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: s-05 = wlp001

Post by bpgreen »

berryman wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:26 pm I have always used 05 on a lot of stuff I make, decided to go liquid with a started on the recent IPA brewed, same strain I understand. My observations was that it was slower to start. Pitched at 68 degs. and set the inkbird for 66. next morning was expecting to see some high amount of fermenting and it was down to 63 and was starting some. going to take me a little longer to get this one done but will be alright. The reason I did it with 001 instead of the 05 dry was only about 3.00 cheaper and I like to make starters in between brewing.
To clarify, there isn't a yeast strain S-05. There's a US-05. That's the Chico strain (famous for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale among others.

Liquid yeasts: WLP001, Wy1056*

Those are all essentially the same yeast.

* when Fermentis first came out with their dehydrated version of the Chco strain, they packaged it as US-56, Wyeast sued then, so they changed the name to US-05. Same yeast. Still the Chico strain. Different name.
Beer-lord

Re: s-05 = wlp001

Post by Beer-lord »

I especially like Imperial's versions Flagship A07.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black