3-2-1 method video

Nothing goes better with a home brew then a good home made meal. Have a special food recipe you would like share or a food pairing with your favorite brew. Let the Borg know here.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

3-2-1 method video

Post by FedoraDave »

Sometimes it's easier to grasp a concept when you see it, rather than just reading about it. His method differs slightly from mine; I mop every 30 minutes during the smoke phase, and I put more rub on after the foil phase, and I put bbq sauce on about 15 minutes before I take them up, to create a glaze. But this is the basic technique for 3-2-1 ribs. His turned out looking pretty good, too.
http://smokersilo.com/smoked-ribs-using-3-2-1-method/2/
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: 3-2-1 method video

Post by Kealia »

I think we're all likely similar in our approach - much like our brewing - but with minor differences.

- I put a mustard, Worcestershire, apple cider brushing on the night before and let that soak in overnight
- I don't peek for the time it is on the smoker either
- I smoke at 180 (Traeger)
- I don't use plastic, just foil - and I add honey, brown sugar and a bit of cider into the foil for steaming
- I use the smoker the whole time, I don't switch to the oven
- For the last hour, I sauce with about 30 minutes left

I'm sure they all taste great, as I know everybody has been pleased with the way I do them. Mine end up falling off the bone or pulling apart easily with fingers which is how I/we like 'em.
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

I've never "smoked" ribs before so thanks for posting this since I'm hoping to get a smoker in the near future. I do have to say that watching this at 8 am was not a good idea, now I want ribs really bad! :fedora:
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Smoking ribs is fun. Getting the rolling papers to stay in place - not so much :whistle:

Over the years I've tried many methods of cooking ribs and this is the only way I will ever do them at this point. So.....good.....
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

The 3-2-1 method is 'kinda of a proven fact and cooking between 200 and 250 like this you can hardly go wrong and will have good ribs.
Kealia wrote:I think we're all likely similar in our approach - much like our brewing - but with minor differences.
Exactly. I always cook on the smoker for the 3 hours, but then I have done the 2-1 different ways with good results. Sometimes I do the whole cook on the smoker but sometimes I like to finish on the gas grill and have also finished in the crock pot. That's my favorite way of doing pulled pork. After about the 3 hour range smoking is done and now just cooking and whatever is the easiest at the time is what I do..
Good Vid and TY for sharing :clink:
Edit: I called what we have a crock pot, but it is bigger, I think it's called a slow cooker but the same thing...
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Individual techniques are sure to differ, but, as with brewing, as long as everyone likes the result, you're doing it right.

I just use foil for mine, and I put apples slices, onion slices, and crushed garlic in, to steam and add extra flavor. I try to keep the temp between 200 and 250, and while the meat doesn't fall off the bone, it pulls clean.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Damm Dave, this thread inspired me to do some ribs this weekend, I just took out of the freezer 3 packages of pork spare ribs, ground pork and bacon all home grown to cook Sunday. I will do a fatty with the ground pork and bacon. Smoking a big Fatty is good..........Haven't done it in awhile :)
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I have a couple racks of baby backs in the freezer. I was going to get ambitious on Labor Day weekend, but it didn't work out, so I had to put them in cold storage. I'm waiting for the right time to thaw them, prep them overnight, and get some smoke going.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I have been doing a lot of BBQ this summer, about 3 or 4 nights a week, you can do that being retired and not have to wait for the weekend. The 3-2-1 is a good starting point but will over cook baby backs at 225, it's closer with spareribs. I have been doing 3, then 1 1/2 hour foiled and about 1/2 hr open and sauced. still nice and tender but doesent fall apart taking off the cooker.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
baarsofia4

Post by baarsofia4 »

Absolutely, visual examples can be really helpful for grasping concepts. Your approach sounds interesting, with mopping during the smoke phase and adjusting rub and sauce application. Thanks for sharing the link, I'll check it out!