Honey Cider

Talk about your mead, cider, peary or anything else that doesn't fit in the other places!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Honey Cider

Post by FrozenInTime »

I've not brewed in a good 8-9 months. After 3-4 years of little/no apples on our trees, this year I was able to pick enough to make 13 gallons of cider. Yesterday I filled 2 carboys with 5 gallons each and discovered, although I had a feeling, the packets of cider yeast are pretty much dead. One carboy acted like it was going to take off, today, silent. I ordered some fresh yeast last night, hope the cider does not spoil by the time the yeast gets here. I think I will try to put the carboys in the fridge til it gets here. For the 10 gallons of cider, I mixed in 6 pounds (2 bags) of table sugar. After fermentation is done, I will kill the remaining yeasties and mix in some honey to taste (along with some lactose) to make Honey Hard Cider. I've done this for years, comes out pretty good.

I also ordered a Mosiac IPA all grain kit. I've done those, for an IPA, it's pretty darn good.
Opps, messed up and ordered an extract kit darn it. Oh-well.
Last edited by FrozenInTime on Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Honey Cider

Post by FrozenInTime »

Just checked FG... I guess it has been a while since I've done cider. It comes in at 10.25%. That is a ... little higher than I wanted. I have a feeling I should have checked the grav BEFORE I dumped in that much sugar. The oldish yeast I used dropped it down to .998.... I checked the hydrometer, it's accurate. Started out at 1.076 so if my math is right... it's NOT going to be a session drink, more a small tankard at a time.

I'll let it sit another week or so, transfer it to a fresh carboy and start killin yeasties. After a test to make sure the yeasties have laid down to a permanent sleep, I'll mix in some lactose and start mixing in honey to reach desired taste. I like'um a little on the sweet side, I think I'll do the honey flavoring first so I don't over-sweetin them. I'm going to have 10 gallons of this cider, with the very little drinking I'm now doing, it *might* last me quite a while. I usually let my cider condition in keg for a year.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I've only brewed a few ciders, but they all came out pretty strong. I first bought one at the liquor store. Everything is sold by the individual can or bottle at the liquor stores here (anything above 5% abv is sold at the state run liquor stores). It's kind of annoying when you buy a six pack, because they ring it up as 6 individual items, but it's nice when you want to buy a mixer sixer, or just one of something to see if you like it before making a 5 gallon batch.

So after trying one, I made a 5 gallon batch. When I kegged it, I started another. I think I might have made 3 or 4 batches (all about 10-12%) before tapping the first one. It didn't take long to discover that I liked cider well enough to have one every once in a while, but I didn't really like it well enough to have that as what was on tap all the time. I think I eventually disconnected it and just hooked up the picnic tap. Took a long time to work through all those kegs (but I'm not one to let something go to waste).
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I have made a couple of malted hard ciders using 2 row and trader joes mulling spiced cider, and a tiny bit of hops (like 7AAU). Those came out great, I would do it again.

: now has urge to go to Trader Joes :
TwistedTail

Post by TwistedTail »

Sounds like your sugar formula was a we bit off but hopefully you have recovered. Honey Cider is something I plan on trying next. I just bottled 2 gallons of Apple / Cherry Hard Cider that is almost ready to pop the top.
Best of luck…