Where do you ferment?

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Where do you ferment?

Post by BigPapaG »

RickBeer wrote:This is priceless.

Question - where do you ferment?

Answer - I put them wherever I can find a spot that doesn't make my wife mad.

Joe is the only honest one in the entire forum! :lol:
+1 :lol:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I believe Bella Saison or French Saison has become my official Summer IPA yeast. The IPA I made with it is totally delicious. No yeast fruitiness, the hops stand out, and no messing with temps, just let it rip away in the 70s-80s. It's great. The spicyness of the yeast plays nicely with the IPA hops I like the most (piney/spicy/citrusy hops).
Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Post by Foothiller »

I ferment in my work room, which is near the kitchen. What I like is being able to brew in the kitchen, which got the envy of a couple of people in a conversation at my homebrew club tonight. The outdoor temperatures here are hot in summer and cold in winter, with sometimes not very many weeks in between, and our garage is not well insulated, so brewing there would not be very comfortable.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

mashani wrote:I believe Bella Saison or French Saison has become my official Summer IPA yeast. The IPA I made with it is totally delicious. No yeast fruitiness, the hops stand out, and no messing with temps, just let it rip away in the 70s-80s. It's great. The spicyness of the yeast plays nicely with the IPA hops I like the most (piney/spicy/citrusy hops).
I just tried my first experiment trying to make Oberon how is use to be made. Still a tad green in the bottle but nice and tasty as well. Next time I might not take it quite as high - 80 vs 85 - will probably come close to nailing it, although it has been awhile since Ive had a "real" Oberon and not today's version where they (I believe) are now using their house yeast.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

BigPapaG wrote:
RickBeer wrote:This is priceless.

Question - where do you ferment?

Answer - I put them wherever I can find a spot that doesn't make my wife mad.

Joe is the only honest one in the entire forum! :lol:
+1 :lol:
Not really I do 99% of the cooking, so the kitchen us mine. Excepting when it is cookie baking time :lol: :lol: As far as the fermenting goes.................................
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

In my insulated closet, of course. Holds 2 Mr. Beer kegs or a 5 gallon fermenter.

It's the bottom half of a two door hall closet lined with 1.5 inch solid insulation. Duct taped at the top but the floor is removeable for easy replacement when it gets too dinged up. As good as an ice chest but bigger.

creativewoody

Post by creativewoody »

I rest my lbks in the closet near our basement laundry room. The carboys are sitting right across from the washer and dryer lol. Doin ok though with the space my wife permits me :)
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

My current "upper shelf" on my brew area... WLP500 Starter in progress, LBC's ready to go once that's done with old school locking spigots in place. (still do not trust new ones). It's a bit tricky to get LBC into base with locking spigots. But I believe it will work nicely. I cover this when not perving it, so it's totally dark in there, just the way the yeasties like it.
P1080864.JPG
P1080864.JPG (67.07 KiB) Viewed 836 times