What has two thumbs and is no longer bottling?

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

christler

What has two thumbs and is no longer bottling?

Post by christler »

THIS GUY!! Actually i'm sure I will still bottle some batches because I only got one keg. I found a keg system in the local classifieds for a sweet deal so I went and swooped it up. Now I need to brew something I don't have anything fermenting!

a question for those of you who keg. Do you condition the keg before you force carb? Say I racked a pale ale from primary to the keg. Do I need to condition the beer in the keg before I put it in the fridge and put gas to it?
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: What has two thumbs and is no longer bottling?

Post by Gymrat »

The first time I kegged I racked to the keg, it went straight into the kegerator, and I force carbed right then. It took 2 weeks to fullh carb but it tasted just fine. Since then I have bought more kegs and I naturally carb them while they wait for me to finish whatever is on tap. That way as soon as I blow one keg the next one is ready to tap and pour.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Congrats on the keg score! There are a few different ways to do it, so you'll need to experiment and find out what works for you. I just tapped my first one tonight. I force carbed it at room temp for about 3.5 weeks (which is about the amount of time it would sit if I bottled). Popped it in the fridge last night, and tonight I'm enjoying my first keg pour!

:barman:
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
bucknut
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by bucknut »

You can do it either way, force carb at room temp, chill and force carb the "set and forget" way, or chill and force carb by shaking, just depends on your set up and brewing method and how long you want to wait. I just did my first keg about a month ago, I kegged the beer and let it condition for a week at room temp, then I put it on gas in the fridge for another week at about 15psi/40 degrees, lowered the press down to a few pounds and then it was ready to drink, carbonation was perfect!.....easy as pie.
christler

Post by christler »

Its funny how there is so many ways to do it and no ” right way”. That's why I love this hobby. Thanks for the replies. I have research to do.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I have done natural carbing, set and forget and now I'm force carbing with it in the fridge at 40 degrees. Find what works for you, there are many ways. I try to follow this for force carbing:

Force carb chart
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

christler wrote:Its funny how there is so many ways to do it and no ” right way”. That's why I love this hobby. Thanks for the replies. I have research to do.
But conversely, there are a lot of wrong ways. Those are the ones that result in you dumping beer down the drain and entering Purgatory as a result :)
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
rickbray66
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by rickbray66 »

RickBeer wrote:Those are the ones that result in you dumping beer down the drain and entering Purgatory as a result :)
That's alcohol abuse and we won't tolerate it!!!

heh heh heh

Rick
christler

Post by christler »

Kealia wrote:Image
My bad, My bad! here you go. I'm going to have to take a trip to the lhbs and get some replacement parts. I think the dude I got it from left beer in the lines for a year!
Attachments
IMAG0851(1) (475x267).jpg
IMAG0851(1) (475x267).jpg (251.19 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Nice, congrats!

Whether or not I condition the beer depends on how well I think I brewed it. If I hit temps spot on with the right pitch rate then I will go from primary (cold crashed) directly to the keg into the mini fridge. I use the set and forget method to carb so it takes ~10-14 days to carb up and at that point it's fine.

If I think it could benefit from a little extra room temp conditioning, I'll go from primary to keg and let it sit for 2 weeks before going to the fridge.