Assimilation ala Tabasco

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Assimilation ala Tabasco

Post by Tabasco »

I only stopped in MrB a couple times since the revamp ... it seemed ok to navigate. I haven't been on there much lately, anyway. Been on my motorcycle board a lot due to summer trip scheduling. I'm more in the mood for brewing board now anyway. Thank you very much for posting the link on the old board.
I do have an affinity for MrBeer, as I enjoyed the borg, and being a BOM back in '10, that was fun. But, I'm not ordering much of their stuff these days. I have to watch my budget, and I like my AG's better. But, I still like an HME LBK thing once in a while.

Thank you. I hope there's some familiar people in here, but if not ... I'll be glad to meet you all. :party:

BTW, just sayin' ... not bad, not good ... but I'm still strictly BIAB for my AG's. I still use a 16qt pot, and top off with cold water. I'm getting excellent 5gal batches for corny kegs, 4.5-6.5 ABV. To get over 5ABV is add a half pound of sugar, which I like, because the beer is already full bodied enough with the 8.5 lb grain mash. It ain't the best, but I love it.

I enjoy reading from folks who have better stuff, e.g. 20 gal pots, tuns, burners, etc. But right now I got my little brew room, induction burner and slop sink, and it works. So, you may see me in the BIAB section time to time, but this whole forum look great. VERY WELL DONE. THANK YOU. :banana: :banana: :banana:

P.S. I'm going to start drinking beer early today. I know I'm a bad boy. I'm just sayin'.
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: Assimilation ala Tabasco

Post by teutonic terror »

Welcome Tabasco! Good to see you here!! :barman:
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Welcome to the forum!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Hey Tom, nice to see you here. What is that induction burner you mentioned? Is it that Nu-Wave thing they sell on TV? I've been seriously wondering about that, but can't seem to find out if it's able to boil 3 or 4 gallons of liquid. I see them bring a shallow pan of oil to 350 degrees, so I wanna believe it could bring a few gallons to 220 degrees. It might save me from moving from my electric stove to outdoor brewing. Can you tell me about that induction burner you're using and if it's the same one or not? Thanks a bunch.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Brew Birds.jpg
Brew Birds.jpg (28.74 KiB) Viewed 3070 times
Sibling Brewers
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

joechianti wrote:Hey Tom, nice to see you here. What is that induction burner you mentioned? Is it that Nu-Wave thing they sell on TV? I've been seriously wondering about that, but can't seem to find out if it's able to boil 3 or 4 gallons of liquid. I see them bring a shallow pan of oil to 350 degrees, so I wanna believe it could bring a few gallons to 220 degrees. It might save me from moving from my electric stove to outdoor brewing. Can you tell me about that induction burner you're using and if it's the same one or not? Thanks a bunch.
Joe, the brand name of mine is Circulon. It will bring a 16 qt pot to a boil in reasonable time, but it just will hold at boil on full setting. It may to a 20qt (5 gal) pot, but I doubt it would do more than that.

Like I say, I mash 8.5 lbs of grain in 12 qts or so of water, which JUST MAKES the 1.5 qt / lb criteria. I have a sparge technique that works ok, and the boil volume at start is still not full volume, only about 3.5 gallons, ending up at three gals. So, I cool down in sink bath to about 90 deg in about 20 mins not using any ice .... pour in 5 gal fermenter pail and bring up to vol with cold water ....

So, I don't get full hops utilization, but I don't notice ... my IPA's all come out like IPA's. It works for me.

This is the one my wife got for me ... I don't remember where she bought it, maybe Amazon. You need the stainless steel pots with the heavy bottom that will attract a magnet for it to work. Most steel pots are that way now.
Image Brand name Circulon, and it looks exactly like that.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Welcome Tom and that is a terrific new picture of you.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Hi Tom!

:borg:
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

I would like to say, VERY NICE BORG. Great to be here. I don't feel guilty about a new Borg, and I appreciate all your effort making this. Thanks! What the hell ...

I've never gone to that "MR BEER FANS" one. It's nice to have a good place here. After years and years of being supportive of MrB product line, etc, on their borg, we don't owe them or anyone else anything. We are not salesmen, we are home brewers. Can always stop in there and help the new brewers, but I haven't been doing that for a while anyway, just got too busy.

I like this site already.
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jpsherman »

Welcome!

You should post some recipes or tips in the BIAB section. Its pretty sparse right now, and for us newbies even simple tips and recipes could help others make the the jump from HME kit brewing.
Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:
Barleywine 8-27-2014 (only drinking on special occasions)

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Good to see you, Tom!
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

:bbwelc:
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

jpsherman wrote:Welcome!

You should post some recipes or tips in the BIAB section. Its pretty sparse right now, and for us newbies even simple tips and recipes could help others make the the jump from HME kit brewing.
Thanks, I'll try and do that soon. Going to my son's engagement party today.

I've always wanted to make a photo essay of my BIAB methods ... I'll try and do that soon. It's not for everybody ... I'm sure it's not the best ... but it's so freaking simple it's scary.

To start off, I almost always use American two row as base, as I buy 50lb sacks, but I will buy a batch size amount of pilsner once in a while.
I'm getting away from any type of choc or brown malt .... rarely use them anymore merely out of personal preference.
But I still like a good, black, bitter stout. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I haven't updated my recipe xcel sheet in eons. I have my notebook of all the batches I've made, and should update the list on my site.
But, I plan on visitint the BIAB page. It's who I am, what I do .... heh heh.
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

Thanks, everyone. It's good to see you all.

You and I know that this borg is gonna be the one. Been here two days, and already it feels great. The fact that so many of the great borg folks are already here is the clincher.

BTW, FedoraDave .... I just remembered your real name ... it's Dave! heh heh. Thanks good to see ya.

Good to see everyone.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

hey tabasco welcome
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies