Bottle Problem

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

hopsnhoses

Bottle Problem

Post by hopsnhoses »

I just finished bottling my third brew which is the MB punkin lager. My problem is that when I went to cap my bottles, I noticed that a bottle I just capped didn't seem right. It looked askew on top. I flicked it with my thumb and guess what, it flew off. So I looked closer and noticed that this bottle had a fatter lip on it than the other bottles. Anyone come across this? After some checking I tracked down where I got those bottles, I filled 5 of them, they come from "Rahr n Sons" in Fort Worth. I had bought 2 six packs of this brand, one is called Texas red, it was ok but not my new favorite. The other, Buffalo Butt, yes its true, I bought a beer with the word butt in it. It had to be done. My kids laughed all the way home. Not suprisingly, it tasted like ass. I will not be buying any more Rahr n Sons. So, back to my dilemma, I now had 5 bottles full that I can't cap. My solution, and I hope no one says I screwed up, was to quickly clean and sanitize new bottles. Then I slowly poured those bottles back into my clean and sanitized LBK, and filled up the new bottles and capped them. I think that as long as I didn't introduce too much air through two cycles of bottling, it should be ok. I did mark those so I will know for sure when its time to sample. Any additional tips and advice would be appreciated. By the way, I use a Red baron bottle capper.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Bottle Problem

Post by Gymrat »

As long as everything was sanitized, and as you mentioned, as long as you didn't introduce too much oxygen, I don't think this should be a problem.
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

You aren't the first person to have to rebottle a new beer. Seems you did the right thing.
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

Sounds like you did well. But on the subject of the beer with "butt" in it's name: Leinies used to make a beer called "Big Butt". The picture on the bottle was of two rams head-butting each other. It was a damn good beer too and I miss it. But I loved going into the local watering hole and asking the waitress/bar-tender if she had a "Big Butt"? (Of course we knew each other other wise I wouldn't be here to type this. ;) )
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence