Introducing....

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Introducing....

Post by DaYooper »

Welcome aBorg!
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Ibasterd wrote:Howdy

How do you like the brew demon? I'm using a Mr. Beer kit but am intrigued by the conical design of the brew demon. My only concern is that it seems that it would take up more space, and for me space is at a premium.

Cheers
Yes, the BD takes more vertical space than the Mr. Beer LBK. The majority of the forum members don't have BD kits, although some have recently purchased them since joining the forum.

The owner of my LHBS pointed out that you can brew beer in anything, and that's almost true. A simple bucket with an airlock or an overflow tube for example. You can read about why BD designed their LBC the way they did on their site (although I'm sure they have to deviate quite a bit from the LBK design due to patents). I don't know anyone that has brewed the same batch, side by side, and found that there was any difference in the end product between the LBK and the LBC.

I have two LBKs (and a full kit for sale) and I don't have any plans to buy an LBC. If anything, I'd likely move to a 5 gallon kit at some point in the future - need to use up my Mr. Beer refills that I bought last year first. I do find the 2.5 gallon size (full LBK) nice for splitting a 5 gallon batch.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Welcome to da forum!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
petts5354

Post by petts5354 »

Everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. You're such a mellow bunch. I love it.
Ibasterd wrote:Howdy

How do you like the brew demon? I'm using a Mr. Beer kit but am intrigued by the conical design of the brew demon. My only concern is that it seems that it would take up more space, and for me space is at a premium.

Cheers
I love my BD conical. It is well made, the opening in the top is big for easy cleaning, it has a co2 vent and best of all it looks cool. And when I'm drinking and brewing beer, cool looking is at the top of my list.

I have another post in the newbie section where a guy sent a picture of a modified versin with a hole in the bottom with a tube for draining off strub. Effectively allowing a second ferment without transfering the beer to another container. Ferment 2 weeks, then drain off the trub, then ferment another week.Awesome!

I'm going to do that mod to mine. I'll post pic's.
Beer is like sex. It's all good, just some better than others.
petts5354

Post by petts5354 »

When do I get the wires in my head and the red laser eye?
Beer is like sex. It's all good, just some better than others.
Snowjob
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Snowjob »

Welcome petts5354.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

FYI, there is no need to remove the trub for a 3 week fermentation, but to each their own.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

Basically, the more you f*ck with it, the more chance there is you'll screw something up.

I've never racked off the trub and I ferment for 3 weeks religiously. That crap you may have read about leaving the beer on the trub causing off flavors is old bullshit that's been refuted in recent years. Even Palmer admits he was wrong.

Put it in the LBK or LDC and leave it there for three weeks unless you have a hydro and take gravity reading that tell you when it's "done."
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Totally agree wit the above. Leave in the LBK for 3 weeks, don't screw with it, that invites infections. It hurts nuttin to leave it on trub for 3 weeks or a little longer. I have one going now, I let if ferment/LBC condition for 3 weeks, dry hopped it (commando) for 2 more days, then put it in the fridge for a cold crash for 4 days. I will probably transfer it today into a keg if I get time. No ill affects. Don't fear the trub.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!