Bottling

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

DirtRacer
Brew Master
Brew Master

Bottling

Post by DirtRacer »

So I've got a birthday coming up next month and with the money I get, I'd like to buy myself a bench capper, caps, and maybe some ingredients. If I remember right, the highly recommended, or maybe just most common, was the Super Agata capper. What do you all use/recommend in the way of capper and website to get supplies/ingredients from? I have no LHBS otherwise I'd visit them. So for now it will have to all be done online.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from poor judgment.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Bottling

Post by Gymrat »

I have and love the agape super capper. And I buy the American flag caps at midwestsupplies. They look cool and they are oxygen barrier.
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

I love my Super Agata capper, got it from Northern Brewer which I have had no complaints about so far.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/supe ... apper.html
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

i too have a super agata capper. i got it from the lhbs and have had no problems to date
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Super Agata is the way to go!

:cool:
SelfFueled
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by SelfFueled »

You know me like to look for deals...

I got quite a few items at http://www.ritebrew.com/

Plain caps gross $2.79
Oxygen are $4.79, which I passed on because my local has em for $4.25 (yesterday I got 3 gross)

Super agata $34.99

Shipping is pretty fair and quick same day shipping (times at top of site)
DirtRacer
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by DirtRacer »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Putting a list together and saving bottles for now.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I save bottles too. But I got started by asking my local beverage distributor for bottles. He lets me (or anyone) have them for the 5c deposit. I get a case for $1.20, even swing-tops when he has them. I do buy there, and owe him a couple of homebrews for the courtesy.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
SelfFueled
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by SelfFueled »

That right there is a good thunking!

You can always ask if you can leave a posting or note at the counter.....would make it easier if you shopped there before.

In PA there is no deposit or recycling centers, but if you have them in your state, that could be a place to ask also. Many said they do it that way.

I went to a private owned hippy owned place.
$2 case,
got me 25 cases!
DirtRacer
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by DirtRacer »

Yea I'm out in California so it's CRV, still not a bad deal if I can get it. I might know somebody who works at the local bottling co. via a friend of a friend so it's worth asking. Also, I've been just using the one-step stuff that comes in the refills but I have seen alot of Star-San use mentioned and wondered if that's a better/more convenient way to go. If so I'll add it to my list of what to get. Thanks.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I put an ad on Craigslist offering the deposit and to meet people in the parking lot of the grocery store. I got 20+ cases across three people very quickly, too many for me, sold some back again. Ended up making a small profit :).

Ad wording:

I am interested in beer bottles that fit the following qualifications:

Brown in color
Pry off caps (no twist-offs)
Rinsed clean (nothing found on the street)
Must be at least 12 bottles, preferably more

Sam Adams is a sample of the type of bottle. Killian's is a twist-off, so it would not be of interest.

I will give you the deposit money, and I will pick up at your house, so you don't have to put them in the car, drive to the market, wait in line, stick them in the grungy machine...

LOCATION - You must live in the general area of _______, within 2 - 3 miles of there, or it's not worth my effort. I am happy to meet at the Park N Ride if you'd like, or Kroger's parking lot.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

star san is probably the best thing to use for sanitizing. since it is an acid based sanitizer, it sanitizes on contact. you don't have to wait minutes for it to sanitize properly. and you can make a decent amount, then just pour it into a spray bottle and spray things when needed, so it goes a really long way.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

philm00x wrote:star san is probably the best thing to use for sanitizing. since it is an acid based sanitizer, it sanitizes on contact. you don't have to wait minutes for it to sanitize properly. and you can make a decent amount, then just pour it into a spray bottle and spray things when needed, so it goes a really long way.
+1 I found chemical resistant spray bottles in the cleaning section of the store. I love having it full of Star San ready and waiting. I spray down the whole top of the LBK before dry hopping and spray the spigot before and after taking a hydro sample.

Be advised that you should mix the Star San with Reverse Osmosis water not tap water. With RO water it should last a long time but Star San can go bad which would be a very bad thing for your beer.

For bottling I highly recommend getting a bottle tree and vinator, add a couple of inches of Star San to the vinator place on top of the bottle tree throw your bottle caps in there shoot a few in each bottle dip the lip of the bottle in the vinator and your good to go.
Bottle Tree & Vinator.JPG
Bottle Tree & Vinator.JPG (97.57 KiB) Viewed 3230 times

Edit: looks like I'm going to have to go through all my photos and photoshop some glassware. :opps:
Sibling Brewers
DirtRacer
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by DirtRacer »

Going to place my order on Monday and here's the list:
Bottle Caps
Super Agata Capper
32oz. Star San
Sulfiter/Vinator http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/863230.htm?CartID=2
Bottle Tree http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/863235.htm?CartID=3 - Hoping the handle comes out so I can place the vinator at the top like in BrewBirds photo.
Hydrometer Test Jar
Hydrometer - Triple Scale http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/863021.htm?CartID=7
Anything else you'd recommend? I plan on picking up a bottle brush here locally because I think I can get one for less than RiteBrew's price, but if not I'll add it to cart.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

DirtRacer wrote:Going to place my order on Monday and here's the list:
Bottle Caps
Super Agata Capper
32oz. Star San
Sulfiter/Vinator http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/863230.htm?CartID=2
Bottle Tree http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/863235.htm?CartID=3 - Hoping the handle comes out so I can place the vinator at the top like in BrewBirds photo.
Hydrometer Test Jar
Hydrometer - Triple Scale http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/863021.htm?CartID=7
Anything else you'd recommend? I plan on picking up a bottle brush here locally because I think I can get one for less than RiteBrew's price, but if not I'll add it to cart.
You might consider some nylon hop sacks and a bottling wand will make bottling day go smoother.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers