What's the worst commercial beer you've tasted?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: What's the worst commercial beer you've tasted?

Post by RickBeer »

FrozenInTime wrote:Moose Drool (FIT runs for his flack jacket and helmet)
Moosedrool? Had it in December for first time. Liked it so much made a 5 gal batch a few months back.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

:lol:
John Sand wrote:Sam Adams Porch Rocker nearly made me puke.
:lol:
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

Photon Brewing wrote:Back in the day it was Strohs and regular Iron City. Just awful and makes me gag thinking of it.
Recently, arrogant bastard comes to mind.
I seem to remember Stroh's as a horrible tasting beer.
I never liked Schlitz.
Carling Black Label.
Schmidt's
Pathmark No Frills Beer (there really was such a thing)

What I don't understand is how someone can brew shit, if they stick to water, malt, hops, yeast ... they must be doing something weird ... beer ingredients are rarely listed. I know Bud uses rice adjunct, but I consider that an acceptible lager ... not bad for an average lager.

As far as a home brew (I know it's off topic) I did not like MrB Pilothouse Pisner the first time I made it, but came to actually love the nelson sauvez hops, so it goes to show you ... savor and appreciate ... now I love that taste, although I rarely make it. But, my worst memories of commercial beers is above, thanks for listening.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

billy beer
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

jimjohson wrote:billy beer

LMAO Remember that? I don't think I ever tried any. Was that Carter's brother or Clinton's? I think I'm getting old, CRS.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Kealia wrote:CC, Uncommon Brewers is only a few miles from me. I had that beer at a local beer fest a few years ago and I poured it on the ground, too.

That would be my second choice for sure.

And I'm not aiming to throw anybody under the bus but the reality is that there are some bad beers out there just as there are some phenomenal beers out there. We talk a lot about beers like Pliny, Heady Topper, etc. so I think it's ok to talk about the other end of the spectrum, too.
Interesting that you, too, had a bad experience with Uncommon's Bacon Brown. Mine was a gusher, so I figured maybe I got a bad one. Regardless, it was not a pleasant experience.

And I didn't want to imply that you were trying to throw anyone under the bus -- totally agree that it's fair game to talk about "the bad" since we all enjoy talking about "the good."

While on that topic, another well-respected beer that I just don't care for, personally, is: Rogue Dead Guy Ale. Just not my thing.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

Mississippi Mud. blah.
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

Rogue Maple Bacon Voodoo Doughnut...
I call it the pink bottle of death now. *shudders*
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
DirtRacer
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by DirtRacer »

Had a Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen once. It was the first hefeweizen I ever had and the after taste was like stomach acid. After one drink of it I dumped it. Ruined my appetite for the day.
Last edited by DirtRacer on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from poor judgment.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

A bad widmers brew? Wow, I have not had many of theirs but love what I've had. I'll have to avoid this one for sure.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Gymrat wrote:Hands down goose island IPA
I've had some that was OK and then some that was sour/cross contaminated with some of their funky beers about a year ago. The sour stuff was pretty bad. I like sours, but when you mix sour with IPA bitterness, it's a bit much.
BigPapaG wrote:Magic Hat
Magic Hat beers are nasty.

That said, the worst commercial beer I've had was locally produced, it is only commercial in a very small range I think. I'm not going to get into names, but the dude who runs the brewery does open fermentation and allows his beers to be contaminated with the local flora/fauna found in the city. And unfortunately my city is not Flanders, so this doesn't work so well.

His beers are ok right out of the fermenter or with just a few weeks of age, but whatever it is that gets into his beers, it's not like my house brett, and it does not make good stable bottled beer. When his beer gets some age on it, it tends to become so sour that it is undrinkable or gets that baby vomit kind of funk. Maybe if it was ignored for 2 years in a cellar it would get better like old English ales did back in the day, but that's not how he markets them. I can buy them at my local grocery, but every time I look at them I get queasy. Which is sad considering I like Flemish and Belgian sours.
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

The worst beer I have ever tasted was purchased by a friend of mine at the PX on whatever base he was staying at during that time. The can was white with block letters on it saying beer. The closest picture I can find is below. The lettering and content on the label was nearly identical except underneath the part that said 12 fl oz was a label for the ABV. The can below looks like the top came out but on the ones he had it was a normal tab opening mechanism on top. They came in 6 packs held together by those little plastic rings. He had grabbed a few of the 6 packs off the shelf and it turned out that there were 3 different ABVs 3.2%, 5%, and 6%. The instant you popped the top on one you knew they were bad. They smelled like the men's bathroom in a college bar. Some people managed to choke them down after copious amounts of jagermeister but I was never able to take more than a sip each time I tried.

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

FrozenInTime wrote:A bad widmers brew? Wow, I have not had many of theirs but love what I've had. I'll have to avoid this one for sure.
If you get a chance, try both the RyePA and the Alchemy Ale. Both are really good.

I've avoided Rogue's VooDoo based on nothing but bad reviews that I've read.
DirtRacer
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by DirtRacer »

FrozenInTime wrote:A bad widmers brew? Wow, I have not had many of theirs but love what I've had. I'll have to avoid this one for sure.
Was the first and only Widmers I've had. I am definitely up for trying it again, as well as other beers from them. I assume it was that bottle. Can't recall where I bought it from, but they may have been the culprits to its poor taste. Another beer I forgot to mention: Sam Adam's Boston Lager. Again, may have just been a bad bottle because I haven't had it again to see. The one bottle of it I did have though had a very strong metalic taste.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from poor judgment.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

John Sand wrote:
jimjohson wrote:billy beer

LMAO Remember that? I don't think I ever tried any. Was that Carter's brother or Clinton's? I think I'm getting old, CRS.
Jimmy Carter's brother. i had a whole 6 i had to drink
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe