New Brewer Questions

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

rpatchy

New Brewer Questions

Post by rpatchy »

Hey everyone! New brewer here. I just got a Mr.Beer kit as a gift since I have always wanted to make my own beer. I instantly started making my first batch of Aztec Mexican Cerveza. From everything I heard from Mr.Beer I was supposed to follow the 2-2-2(2 weeks in LBK, 2 weeks bottled in room temperature and 2 weeks in the fridge), but today is 2 weeks in the fermenter and I was just about to bottle before I found this amazing website. From browsing the message boards I have seen people are suggesting to follow the 3-4 rule. Since I was just about to bottle at 2 weeks this was like someone just threw a curve ball at me :p So, I just want to ask all you experts if I now have the right way of doing this:

-leave in LBK for 3 weeks at temperature between 68F-75F(mine has been around 70F)
-cold crash the LBK in the fridge for 2-3 days...and I saw some advice to put something under the spigot-side so it tilts the LBK in the fridge to move the trub to the back. (Is that right?)
-bottle beer(using 1Lt plastic Mr.Beer bottles...will move to glass on 2nd batch) and let sit in room temperature dark room for 4 weeks.
-Put 1 bottle in fridge for 2-3 days before trying. Then wait a week and do the same with 2nd bottle.

Does that sound right? Anything I am missing? Thanks so much fellow brewers, I know there are tons of posts about this exact same thing, but its just nice to hear I am doing this right lol. Very excited! :)
DirtRacer
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: New Brewer Questions

Post by DirtRacer »

Welcome and yes that is correct. Although cold crashing isn't a necessary step, if you have the room in the fridge then it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and cold crash just to help clear up the beer.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from poor judgment.
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

PS. I always cold crash three days before my normal bottling day......Wednesday if bottling on Saturday, etc.

If you brew on the weekend like I do and cold crash after the three weeks period is up, then you end up bottling on Tuesday or Wednesday. That's why I cold crash "three days early."
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

WOW someone has done their homework. First Welcome to the Borg, we are glad you're here. Second, Yes to all the above of the steps you posted. A cold crash is not necessary, but will help with clearer beer.
3 weeks fermenting and 4 conditioning if you can stand it that long always helps. Spacing out the times putting them in the fridge will help you to see how they develop over time.
Looks like you have learned a lot in your reading and will do VERY well.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

First off :bbwelc:

Secondly there really isn't anything I can add to what the others have pointed out so I'll just say we're glad you found us!

:cheers:
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Welcome to the forum!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
rpatchy

Post by rpatchy »

Thanks SO much for the quick replies everyone! I appreciate it!! It is nice to see everyone on here is so helpful and no sign of 'trolls' so far. I can't wait to try my beer, I made the Aztec since I really think it will be the worst of the 5 types that I have. The Bewitched Amber Ale with the extra Brewmax LME-smooth is the one I am most excited about.
pghFred

Post by pghFred »

my ears are burning.....

troll.jpg
troll.jpg (24.39 KiB) Viewed 948 times
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Welcome to the :borg: rp it is great to that you have been reading the information available to early on in your brewing. You are off to a great start in your new obsession er hobby.

Remember that there are a lot of great folks here who are happy to help.

Wings usually has a great bit of advise for new brewers: patience, sanitize, SWMBO and patience. (Did I get that right Wings?)

Good luck with the first brew and hope many more follow.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Welcome aboard rpatchy! Glad you found us!! Good advice already given. Keep asking questions when you need to, and let us know how your brew turns out!

:welcome:
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Sparrow
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Sparrow »

You may have already caught this from other post, but extra conditioning time is the Aztecs best friend. Maybe try one at 4 weeks, but expect much better results ( as good as Aztec gets anyway) sometime after 6 or 7 weeks.

Oh, and Welcome!
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

Welcome, glad you found the place. You are spot on about everything in your original post. Cold crashing is optional, but if you have the room in the fridge without the spouse/whatever giving you the evil eye, I'd suggest it. There are several reasons why it helps, but to me the most important is so the trub is firmed up, which helps a lot when bottling. I'd suggest a bottling wand if you don't have one, they are like $3 and make things so much easier.

As Sparrow (above) states, the Aztec benefits from a longer conditioning time. 4 weeks is what is generally considered the minimum. Some need longer, a few are ok shorter. It's your first brew so you can be easily excused for not wanting to wait 6+weeks on that particular brew.

Also, I know I have found, and am not alone in this, that a few drops of lime or a slice/wedge of lime in/on the glass will greatly increase your enjoyment of the Aztec. So you might want to have a lime handy at 4 weeks when you first try it.

Did your kit also come with Czech Pilsner? If so, that one (imo) is delicious.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Welcome to the borg!
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

:welcome:
BrownstotheBone
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by BrownstotheBone »

rpatchy wrote:Thanks SO much for the quick replies everyone! I appreciate it!! It is nice to see everyone on here is so helpful and no sign of 'trolls' so far. I can't wait to try my beer, I made the Aztec since I really think it will be the worst of the 5 types that I have. The Bewitched Amber Ale with the extra Brewmax LME-smooth is the one I am most excited about.

Welcome. That could have been one of my posts. Sounds like we're in about the same spot. I'm less than 4 months into this.

My 1st batch was Classic American Light. I rookied that one bad with high fermentation temps (no cooler) and inexperience. It wasn't very good but I drank it of course.

My 2nd batch was the Mexican Cerveza Deluxe. I got that because it looked like a good simple one to try next. After 4 weeks it never seemed right. Took everyone's advice.
I let the Cerveza sit for 2 months total and it made a big difference. Of course I did an inordinate amount of testing and "research" to determine that in that time. ;-)

My 3rd batch was Bewitched Amber Ale Deluxe. The bewitched is FANTASTIC at 4 weeks. I gave some away to co-workers, family and some went for testing at weekly intervals for more T&R.
So it's nearly gone already. But I know one thing. My co-workers are going to have some interesting comments on Monday.

I batch primed it with 4 TBSP of sugar. At first I thought it might be under-carbonated but as the beer matured I liked it better because it let more flavor through.
Either way, you have a right to be excited. I'll brew that one again with a tweek here and there for sure. Good luck!