The No Post Post

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Re: The No Post Post

Post by BlackDuck »

If you want to keep it to the BJCP style, I would not use the wheat. But that's totally up to you. Traditionally, I don't believe it would have wheat in it.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

Just having a "missing my fuzzy girls" moment. They've all very good homes. But that doesn't mean I don't miss the fuzzy hug moments.
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Well poo... water heater went to pieces... so went to town today to get a new one, tubing, etc. The only good thing that happened today... my order came in so I stopped in at the LHBS/natural food store. They ordered/received a 50lb sack of 2-row for me. Now I don't want to fix the water problem, I want to brew... oh... what to do, what to do..... Ya can guess what the wife is telling me to do... LOL
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
astrobeerman

Post by astrobeerman »

In preparation for holidays, I smoked my first turkey.....12lbs, no brine, filled cavity with orange and lemon quarters, 325 deg....for 3.5 hours.....tasted great

Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

astrobeerman wrote:In preparation for holidays, I smoked my first turkey.....12lbs, no brine, filled cavity with orange and lemon quarters, 325 deg....for 3.5 hours.....tasted great

Hah! I went out and SHOT my first turkey yesterday. :banana:

Scared the crap out of the other people in the meat department and I've been asked to do my grocery shopping at a different store now. But it was FUN!

:lies:
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

FrozenInTime wrote:Well poo... water heater went to pieces... so went to town today to get a new one, tubing, etc. The only good thing that happened today... my order came in so I stopped in at the LHBS/natural food store. They ordered/received a 50lb sack of 2-row for me. Now I don't want to fix the water problem, I want to brew... oh... what to do, what to do..... Ya can guess what the wife is telling me to do... LOL
You may already know this, but two things can lengthen the life of a water heater. First, change the anode rod out on a regular basis. Many recommend doing that at the end of the warranty. Second, using the drain valve, drain sediment out of the tank regularly.

Having done both, I can say that draining the tank to do the anode rod takes a long, long time since you're not under pressure (80 gallon tank). Then flushing it time and time again to get all the gunk out. Then you replace the rod, fill the tank, put in bleach and let it sit. Then you have to flush the bleach out of the lines which takes a long while. And you do detect a faint bleach odor/taste for days after. All in all a full day's effort.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

RickBeer wrote:
FrozenInTime wrote:Well poo... water heater went to pieces... so went to town today to get a new one, tubing, etc. The only good thing that happened today... my order came in so I stopped in at the LHBS/natural food store. They ordered/received a 50lb sack of 2-row for me. Now I don't want to fix the water problem, I want to brew... oh... what to do, what to do..... Ya can guess what the wife is telling me to do... LOL
You may already know this, but two things can lengthen the life of a water heater. First, change the anode rod out on a regular basis. Many recommend doing that at the end of the warranty. Second, using the drain valve, drain sediment out of the tank regularly.

Having done both, I can say that draining the tank to do the anode rod takes a long, long time since you're not under pressure (80 gallon tank). Then flushing it time and time again to get all the gunk out. Then you replace the rod, fill the tank, put in bleach and let it sit. Then you have to flush the bleach out of the lines which takes a long while. And you do detect a faint bleach odor/taste for days after. All in all a full day's effort.
Thanks for the hints, definitely useful. In the old heaters defense, it was an 80 gallon one, was original to the house build. It was 40 yrs old so it had a very long life, I have very good, (fairly) clean water. It served it's purpose, the bottom of it rotted out. New one is now installed and operating quite nicely. Now.... what to do with the 50 lbs of grain, it is a nice problem to have!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

astrobeerman wrote:In preparation for holidays, I smoked my first turkey.....12lbs, no brine, filled cavity with orange and lemon quarters, 325 deg....for 3.5 hours.....tasted great

Wow ~ that does look tasty, happy to see you are using your UDS. I've been cooking on mine all summer, love it. Have been doing a lot of chicken in the 5 lb range, I brine them all night, stuff with sliced apples and use Ken's Herb & Garlic marinade and smoke for around 5 hrs. 200 - 225 using apple and hickory wood mixed in the chacoal. They get ate up in a lot less time than it takes to cook them. I'm thinking of doing a turkey the same way.
Good to see you here astrobeerman.
Don
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Wanted to go to the LHBS but SWMBO didn't want to, so I appeased her with a trip to the mall. Really wanted to get stuff to make that tripel :(
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

Damn the turkey looks good... Haven't smoked a whole bird since last turkey day... Now I'm motivated....
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

got the damage bill for the repairs to Der Bagle (and there are a few other things that still need to be done) Just under $7000.00. I have officially exceeded the value of Der Bagle in repairs of needed objects. :unsure:

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Ouch! Definitely have to do some serious traveling to get your use out of 'er now! Might take ya a couple years.... LOL... OUCH
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

I'm ducking back into the house whilst the wort is boiling...cuz it's cold out yonder. Unfortunately, the wife has Soapies on the TV. My gawdz! What a bunch of whiney knickers in a knot complainint womenzez. I think I'll just go brave the cold.

philm00x

Post by philm00x »

A shot of some fire water and you'll warm up enough for brewing outside.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Yankeedag wrote:I'm ducking back into the house whilst the wort is boiling...cuz it's cold out yonder. Unfortunately, the wife has Soapies on the TV. My gawdz! What a bunch of whiney knickers in a knot complainint womenzez. I think I'll just go brave the cold.
Spitting a little wet snow here, first of the year.
Also my post before this one moved me out of the newbie status, now with gained confidence I will tackle some more 5 gal batches, but with a better bottle instead of glass.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison