Saving Yeast

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

charlieb

Saving Yeast

Post by charlieb »

I did a test 1 gallon batch today. Only used half a packet of dry yeast. Curious if I can save the other half? You know keep it in a plastic baggie in the fridge.
Beer-lord

Re: Saving Yeast

Post by Beer-lord »

My understanding is that they can only be saved a short time. Once you open the package and air gets in, the viability starts to decline. I'm reading 'Yeast' now and it doesn't talk too much (so far) about dry yeast but says "dry yeast is only dormant, not dead or inert. Story dry yeast at refrigeration temperatures greatly increases its shelf life. Stored at 75 F dry yeast loses about 20 percent of its viability per year. Stored under typical refrigeration temperatures of 38 F it only loses about 4 percent of it's viability per year" but this is sealed.
I think maybe a few weeks at most closed very well in air tight tuperware and I'd throw it out. For $3.50, it's not worth it to me.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I do it. I have a batch brewing right now with half a pack of Nottingham that I opened in July. I squeezed air out and taped it closed.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
charlieb

Post by charlieb »

Thanks for your input guys.

I have it wrapped in foil in a baggie in the fridge. I wouldn't wait much longer than a week if I do it at all. Just curious as I may do another 1 gallon test. Who knows :)
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Once opened, 1 week is generally the manufacturer's recommended time before tossing and getting a fresh packet.
I'm with Beer-Lord, for a minimal investment I won't risk the use of potentially bad/dead yeast.

Between the possibility of under-attenuating, stuck-fermentations, off-flavors, etc. it's just not worth the risk to me.

Yeast health and viability is so critical in brewing, why roll the dice? Most of us measure our ingredients to the 1/10th of an ounce, worry about temps to the degree and manage all other aspects of brewing so tightly but far fewer handle yeast health and counts in the same manner. This isn't meant to be a lecture, so I apologize if it comes off that way. I just doubt anybody would grab some hops without measuring, toss them in and say "that's probably the right amount".

Anyway, back to your original point. I wouldn't worry about it if it was a week or so. Just roll the packet tight to get as much air out as you can, tape it closed and then put it in a lock-n-lock type container if you can.
charlieb

Post by charlieb »

I get the whole '$3' argument. I was more curious than anything. Just hate to waste yeast or any other ingredient.

It's unlikely I'll make another 1 gallon test but just in case......
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Well, the $3 gets more serious when you are only doing 1 gallon. For 5, it's worth a new package but for 1 gallon, I get the fact that you want to save it for as long as possible.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
charlieb

Post by charlieb »

It's not even the money ya' know? It could be free, I just don't like wasting stuff lol......

Plus I'm just curious in general about viability.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:I just doubt anybody would grab some hops without measuring, toss them in and say "that's probably the right amount
Confession. I have and still will do this to a point, especially when I'm in frankenbier mode. As in I start off with a known amount of hops but not really weigh out the individual additions, just divided it up IE "eyeballed it" on a plate and tossed those in as I brew. And I've always managed to make good beer. Beer I could never reproduce exactly obviously, but still it was good beer, and I like having random things in my pipeline. I figure my ancient brewing ancestors did not have scales that could measure out exact amounts, and they made beer, so why not. And honestly, unless you are using advanced scientific equipment to measure the actual AAU of your hops and also the quantity of other hop oils, then even exact measurements down to the 10th ounce will not necessarily give you identical beer every time. Because hops change with age and storage conditions, and the hops we get are of somewhat random ages and storage conditions.

What can I say, I'm an :evil: nonconformist.

Of course I'm not saying I always do this... I just do it once in a while when I'm in the mood for something "different".

EDIT: If I was doing 1 gallon batches, what I'd probably do is brew 2 or 3 versions of them at the same time (I could easily do 2 or 3 1 gallon BIABs at the same time in my stove/oven). And then split the yeast between them all. Especially if I was trying to tweak a recipe and was not sure what tweak would really improve it. Or if I wanted to brew say and APA and an IPA test batch at the same time, or a couple of different Belgian test batches that used the same strain.

I've actually been tempted to pick up one of the 4 1-gallon fermenter packages from Northern Brewer. That's how I'd use them. I don't think I'd ever brew only 1 gallon of something at a time, 2 gallons I find ok, but 1 gallon too much time for too little for me...
charlieb

Post by charlieb »

mashani wrote:
Kealia wrote:I just doubt anybody would grab some hops without measuring, toss them in and say "that's probably the right amount
EDIT: If I was doing 1 gallon batches, what I'd probably do is brew 2 or 3 versions of them at the same time (I could easily do 2 or 3 1 gallon BIABs at the same time in my stove/oven). And then split the yeast between them all. Especially if I was trying to tweak a recipe and was not sure what tweak would really improve it. Or if I wanted to brew say and APA and an IPA test batch at the same time, or a couple of different Belgian test batches that used the same strain.

I've actually been tempted to pick up one of the 4 1-gallon fermenter packages from Northern Brewer. That's how I'd use them. I don't think I'd ever brew only 1 gallon of something at a time, 2 gallons I find ok, but 1 gallon too much time for too little for me...
Damn it Mashani why didn't I think to do two batches at once.....effing duh!
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

To each his own. Certainly Mash's point about hops can apply to yeast also. Long ago brewers didn't add yeast, it just stayed in. Washed yeast isn't fresh, repitched yeast hasn't been in a purged package. Half batches do fine with opened and resealed packages of refrigerated yeast.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Don't forget you can always keep it if it to old to use and throw it in the boil for some extra nutrients.
Sibling Brewers
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

mashani wrote:
Confession. I have and still will do this to a point, especially when I'm in frankenbier mode.
<snip>
Touche. I was exaggerating to make a point but your is well taken, too.