My best story... kinda lame but it's what I have

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

My best story... kinda lame but it's what I have

Post by FrozenInTime »

Shorty after moving into this home, (wife at work, luckily) I was bottling up a batch from my LBK. I fill 6 bottles at a time, stop and cap, then refill, etc. After filling the first 6, I place the bottling wand into an empty bottle and go about capping the filled bottles. I'm doing this in the kitchen. We have heat vents in the floor, this one was tucked under the kick space of the cabinet. Anywayz, I cap the first 6, go back around the other side of the counter to see that not only had the bottle filled up, it kept filling, and filling, and... well hell (I actually said much-much worse) the LBK was nearly empty. It was all over the kitchen floor, pouring into the heating vent. (Tons of expletives were said) I grabbed a mop and proceeded to clean, wash, clean the floor to get up all the lost nectar. Removed the grate from the vent and started swabbing as far down as I could get. I even tied a rope onto a towel and pushed it in as far as I could using anything I could get in there. After a few swabs of the towel, I soaked it in hot soapy water and ran it in as best/far as I could. Wife returned home from work about the time I finished so she never saw the mess. Even now, 3 years later during winter, I can catch a faint whiff of old beer when the heater has been running for a while.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: My best story... kinda lame but it's what I have

Post by Chuck N »

This spring (I know... it's already a long time comin') sprinkle jst a little baking soda into the vent (with the grate removed). Then, using the exhaust side of a shop vac, blow the baking soda down the duct. Should help take care of the smell.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Good Idea, thanks!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Connie

Post by Connie »

I don't think I would do anything, but smile everyone I smelled it. If it has not molded by now it won't so don't worry about it.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I agree with Connie, as long as nobody else knows about it (we do now) every time you get a little whiff of it you can laugh to yourself and think back about it.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison