Now that's active

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

jimmypirate
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Now that's active

Post by jimmypirate »

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of Canadian Blonde yesterday. 3.75lb can of Coopers Canadian Blonde HME, 2 lbs of Munton's pale light DME. Used the yeast that came with the HME.

The only difference in my method is that I used spring water instead of tap.

I checked it tonight and noticed that the airlock was actually bubbling and that some beer had come out onto the lid of my ale pale....

I've never had such an active fermentation before, could the water have made that much of a difference?

I'm either expecting something really tasty or really bad... :clink:
~On the Way~

~On the Board~
Small Batch Gossamer Red
Small Batch Cherry Wheat
Big Batch Cerveza
Big Batch Canadian Blonde

~R.I.P~
Small Batch Cerveza
Small Batch Chile Lime Cerveza
Small Batch Canadian Blonde
Small Batch Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner
Small Batch Hopped Up IPA
philm00x

Re: Now that's active

Post by philm00x »

The yeast seem to like the minerals in the spring water :)
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Brian N-

Post by Brian N- »

As a science teacher, I have grown many microorganisms in "Pond Water". However, they actually seem to do best in Deer Park spring water, and that is what we use in our laboratory experiments. I would bet the yeast appreciate the particular mix of minerals in spring water too. BTW, there is a significant difference among spring waters; Deer park appears to have the right amount and combination of minerals for excellent growth in my experience. I've been using it for brewing since my second MB batch, and the fermentation phase has been very active in all the styles of beer I have brewed. YMMV.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

As a brewer I can tell you two things. 1, This active of fermentation is just "one of those things". It happens sometimes when you least expect it. And 2, you better put a blow off tube in pronto.
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

I find that the spring water actually helps produce a better tasting beer than tap water.
Well, the tap water I was using before was in Texas.
Here, we're on a well water system. It's very high in Rust. so I have been using spring water exclusivly for my brewing. All phases.
I have also given up on Bubbler Air Locks.. the blow off tube works great in any case.
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
shewdawg

Post by shewdawg »

Brian N- wrote:As a science teacher, I have grown many microorganisms in "Pond Water". However, they actually seem to do best in Deer Park spring water, and that is what we use in our laboratory experiments. I would bet the yeast appreciate the particular mix of minerals in spring water too. BTW, there is a significant difference among spring waters; Deer park appears to have the right amount and combination of minerals for excellent growth in my experience. I've been using it for brewing since my second MB batch, and the fermentation phase has been very active in all the styles of beer I have brewed. YMMV.
Very interesting fact. I only use Deer Park spring water and noticed that I do get very active fermentations as well. Now I know that it's not my new found skill of making brew but it's in the water I'm using! :lol: