Sierra Nevada Flipside Red IPA

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Sierra Nevada Flipside Red IPA

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

I picked this up on a whim last weekend and was glad I did. Was mostly clear, slight hazy, copper to auburn color. Really pretty to look at when held up to the light. Nice creamy head with a moderately aggressive pour.

Aroma starts with lots of hops in usual Sierra Nevada fashion (probably from the Centennial), some pine, mild resin, grassy and earthy, hint of citrus (Citra) and a bit spicy/fruity (Simcoe). When tasting, had a slightly toasty malt, a little caramel note, touch of chocolate flavor, roasty.

That gave way to the hops, quite a bit of pine and spicy hops, hint of fruity hop not really citrus maybe a stronger Simcoe hit, fairly bitter overall (60 IBU). Just a bit of some kind of dark fruity flavor too interestingly. Finish is still a bit sweet, more candy and reddish malts lingering, long lingering spicy slight pine hop bitterness with the Simcoe aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium to a bit bigger body, nice carb, little creamy.

Overall not bad, nice malt character, decent hop profile and good balance, I like the way the caramel creaminess and chocolate malt flavors mix with the spicy slight pine hops, and the strange but interesting dark fruit like characters and Simcoe kick.

From their site:

Malts: Two row Pale, Caramel, Wheat and Chocolate

Hops: Bittered with Magnum, Finished with Citra, Simcoe, Centennial.
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod