Foaming after hot break?

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

shewdawg

Foaming after hot break?

Post by shewdawg »

I made an American IPA today (gonna call it Birthday IPA for the Marine Corp Birthday) and even after the boil started I thought that I was going to have a mess. This did have 1 lb of DME and I've seen the foam a little higher in the past when I've used the DME. Since I've already had one boil over SWMBO has me on a short leash. :laugh
Has anyone had similar experiences or is this ok? I didn't think that once you got past the hot break that you had to worry. I don't know if it was the DME or the Columbus hops that I used.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Foaming after hot break?

Post by FrozenInTime »

Although rare, after hot break, u can have a foam up again. I have had this happen albeit not bad enough to overflow. I've had it maybe 2-3 times from over 100 batches. IMHO, NEVER turn your back to a boil, period. THAT is when it will bite u in the arse.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Also you will get new foam with each hop addition.
shewdawg

Post by shewdawg »

FrozenInTime wrote:Although rare, after hot break, u can have a foam up again. I have had this happen albeit not bad enough to overflow. I've had it maybe 2-3 times from over 100 batches. IMHO, NEVER turn your back to a boil, period. THAT is when it will bite u in the arse.
Yes, this was quite strange and I'm glad that I kept an eye on it... thanks.
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

How much water did you use for the boil? If the wort is too concentrated, it may lead to foaming.
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
shewdawg

Post by shewdawg »

russki wrote:How much water did you use for the boil? If the wort is too concentrated, it may lead to foaming.
I used 2.5 gallons of water. I was wondering if that may have been the case since I had a full lb of DME and 6.6 lbs of LME.
brewin bull
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewin bull »

Gymrat wrote:Also you will get new foam with each hop addition.
and some hops for whatever reason will be worse than others.
Carcharodon Brewing
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Come to think of it, the last two large IPAs I did foamed up real bad with each hop addition. I thought I caused it by throwing in huge amounts (it was hop'd pretty heavy), the hops I used were frozen, straight from the freezer. I figured I did it from the froze hops into a boil, maybe not.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

shewdawg wrote:
russki wrote:How much water did you use for the boil? If the wort is too concentrated, it may lead to foaming.
I used 2.5 gallons of water. I was wondering if that may have been the case since I had a full lb of DME and 6.6 lbs of LME.
That will give you SG of around 1.115 in the boil - this is really high, and can certainly lead to extra foaming (and poor hop utilization too). If you're doing partial boils, I suggest you do late extract additions - add just enough extract upfront for a boil gravity of around 1.040, and add the rest of extract with 10 min left in the boil, or even at flameout. This will also help to lighten the beers as it won't caramelize as much.
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Boil Over LME.JPG
Boil Over LME.JPG (48.2 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
It can happen with late extract additions as well.... the minute you turn your back on the pot. :whistle:

I also often get foaming when I add whirlfloc at T5.
Sibling Brewers
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

One thing you may want to try is Fermcap. Works like a champ and havent had a boil over any time Ive used it. Really helps me multitask by being able to go in and out of the house to clean some equipment as I go and for future steps, or at least get a little organization done in the garage as I dont have to watch the kettle like a hawk.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
BrewHa

Post by BrewHa »

Did I not see somewhere that you can calm a boil over with a spray of water?
SomeGuyBrewing
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by SomeGuyBrewing »

Yes a spray bottle works great. My last beer I did a boil on foamed up like crazy. A couple of squirts from the spray bottle took care of it quickly. I always keep one close by when doing boils.
“Good things happen to those who hustle.” - Chuck Noll
See what SomeGuy is brewing
Drinking:
Drago - FES
Fool's Gold Pale Ale
Maple Apple Cider
Wheats The Deal With Hops?
The Blonde One

Bottled/Kegged/Conditioning:

Fermenting:
Honey Crisp IPA

On Deck:
Golden Stout, Recipe inspired by Aztec Brewery

Competitions:
The Blonde One - Silver Medal - Thirsty Classic 2016

Never Forget
Amber Alert, Drunkin Pumpkin 2013, Tryin' To Get A Nut - Brown Ale, Wheat You Talkin' Bout Willis?, Good Twin, Blacker the Berry the Sweeter the Porter, New World...Altbier, Smoked Sour(ish), Oh YEAAH!!! - Orange Wheat, Evil Twin, Hanger 12 - OITNB, The Gose & The Darkness, First Harvest, Ghost Pumpkin, Grapefruit IPA, Murphy Brown Porter, Thanksgiving Blonde
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Spray bottle full of water works great for taming the hot break! I have a 3 gallon pot and have done many full volume boils with 2.8-2.9 gallons of wort in the pot, so right up to the brim. As the wort starts to boil vigorously, spray some on the foam to keep it from rising out of the pot.

Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

shewdawg

Post by shewdawg »

DaYooper wrote:One thing you may want to try is Fermcap. Works like a champ and havent had a boil over any time Ive used it. Really helps me multitask by being able to go in and out of the house to clean some equipment as I go and for future steps, or at least get a little organization done in the garage as I dont have to watch the kettle like a hawk.
I'll definitely look into a Fermcap. As I saw on Brewbirds pic, been there done that and want to continue my hobby. :)
Also tonight had to change out the airlock on the carboy. Plugged up on the plastic airlock and when I went to clean the top the inner part of the airlock shot straight in the air :wow: Immediately sanitized my hose and stuck it in a bucket. Gotta love the higher alcohol content fermentations! Makes me want to go after a Russian Imperial Stout just to watch the fermentation.

Thanks for all the help!