What to buy?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: What to buy?

Post by John Sand »

No thanks Kealia, way too much money and space required. Kegging would take hundreds of dollars, I'm perfectly happy to bottle.
But it also strikes me that if I buy a wort chiller, I probably need a bigger pot anyway, because I need room in the pot for the chiller. I'm still shopping.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I'd lean towards a chiller and/or a pot if you think you need a bigger one. As for the electric turkey fryer... I've been going that route for the last year or so and have had great success. Not a bad investment if you're interested in BIAB, though I find 5 gallons difficult to do in it (I generally do 3 gallon, so no worries). And, I found this smaller scale wort chiller that works great in the pot size I have. Maybe it would work for you...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

i would find a mini fridge on Craig's list for around 35.00 and build a temp controller for around 30.00.
I love having control of my fermenting temperatures.

I just realized you are going through Amazon. I guess Craig's list is out but I still love my mini fridge and temperature controller.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks guys. I do okay in temp control with a cooler and ice. Only one batch got out of control. Most of the year my basement is good for fermenting.
Never mind, there it is.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

swenocha wrote:I'd lean towards a chiller and/or a pot if you think you need a bigger one. As for the electric turkey fryer... I've been going that route for the last year or so and have had great success. Not a bad investment if you're interested in BIAB, though I find 5 gallons difficult to do in it (I generally do 3 gallon, so no worries). And, I found this smaller scale wort chiller that works great in the pot size I have. Maybe it would work for you...
Which turkey fryer do you have? The reviews I saw said that the temp display was hard to read.
Sibling Brewers
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Rev_evans

Post by Rev_evans »

Id go for a bigger pot and gradually pick up the supplies a little at a time for your own wort chiller. Making it is super easy and inexpensive. If you search homemade wort chiller there is a ton on it and if you spread out the purchases it is a lot more affordable then a one time chunk of $75 to $100+. Cant split the cost of a larger pot so I would go with that while you have the cash.
Brian N-

Post by Brian N- »

John, just a passing note on the sailing forums. I've found the Precision sailboat forum to be a great place - very positive and friendly. I' have not posted much here, but I read most. Also a good, friendly site. Sounds as if you have stepped up your brewing.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks Rev, I'm trying to figure a way to buy both (my birthday is coming up!)
Thanks Brian. I am working on my brewing. Still sailing too, I was out today for a couple of hours. I was a regular on the Sailnet and WoodenBoat Forums. Both have some nice guys and helpful people. But both suffer from "Internet Jackass Syndrome", WB especially. Too many people with too much opinion and too little experience trying to be smart or tough online. I have no patience for it.
Never mind, there it is.
rickbray66
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by rickbray66 »

Well.....I'm a little bit late to this conversation. But I would probably lean towards the chiller. While the 20 qt pot may not be as big as you would like to go, you can still brew with it. And you should be able to use a chiller with it. My strike water pot is 20 qt and my chiller fits in it. I waited a while before getting a chiller and wondered after the fact why I waited so long. Since you have a pot, but no chiller, I'd lean towards the chiller.

Then again, anything added to the brew toolbox is a good thing. :jumpy:

Rick
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks Rick. I'm definitely getting a chiller, but I may buy it and use the GC for the pot. My worry about size wasn't that it won't fit inside, more it's displacement. That is, will it cause my nearly full pot to overflow. With a twenty quart, I believe so.
Never mind, there it is.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

imo go on and get the chiller you can always upgrade your pot to one of these at anytime;

http://www.walmart.com/ip/IMUSA-Tamale- ... r/13370045

i've been using this pot since march (price went down some, i paid $29) i use my 21 qt to heat splarge water
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

It occurs to me that you might be able to pick up pot and wort chiller both. Have you checked Craig'sList in your area? There seems to always be beer stuff for sale around here.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Jim, love the Walmart link. That pot is not in stock online or in stores, but searching "tamale steamers" does provide more options. BB, you are correct. I've been watching Craigslist, but not with any success. But I found a 50' coil of 3/8" copper tubing on ebay for $32 delivered, I'll put end connections on it. That leaves the gc for a kettle, and with careful shopping, other stuff too. This thread has been extremely helpful, thank you all!
Never mind, there it is.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

John Sand wrote:Jim, love the Walmart link. That pot is not in stock online or in stores, but searching "tamale steamers" does provide more options. BB, you are correct. I've been watching Craigslist, but not with any success. But I found a 50' coil of 3/8" copper tubing on ebay for $32 delivered, I'll put end connections on it. That leaves the gc for a kettle, and with careful shopping, other stuff too. This thread has been extremely helpful, thank you all!

woops, didn't even notice that but it's the same price at target. http://www.target.com/p/imusa-32-qt-alu ... A-10910892
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe