Step up with steeping

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

philm00x

Re: Step up with steeping

Post by philm00x »

Looks like you're ready! Did you have the grains crushed? If not, you can probably take a rolling pin or something to do it. Maybe light pulse in a food processor.

LOL @ soup nazi. Ahh well. I guess that's one way to avoid confrontation, to have it ready for pickup.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Yeah, I had them "cracked." It was an easy if not pleasant experience.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by RedBEERd »

Ibasterd wrote:hey guys. I have two Brew Demon kits on the way. A "Ye olde nut brown ale" and a "Hellfire deep red ale". They are both "plus" kits in that they come with two cans of HME. Thinking about stepping up and trying a grain steep. I have red some threads on it but would like some opinions and advice on what kind and how much grain for these particular kits.

As I understand it, I would add the specified amount of cracked grain (in a bag) to water (1 gal?) at between 150-170 degrees for 20-30 min. Then remove, drain, possibly squeeze bag. Then add the HME to this steeped water and add to LBK as usual?

Please advise borg!
I just did something like this yesterday for my wife....she likes Hefeweizens so I used a recipe I got from our former local brew supply store.......I used DME instead of LME, 1) because I find it has less of that 'extracty' taste and 2) because it makes for a little heavier bodied beer, at least to me. While I'm now doing all grain batches with beerlord, I sometimes want to have that little bit of flexibility I can get with the old mr beer Lbk's and also have a smaller batch to play with. I've used this recipe once before and it was very much like a hefe so I stuck with it.

3 lbs of Briess Bavarian Wheat DME, .25lb of Aromatic, .25 lb of Cara Pils and .25lb of White Wheat, 1 oz Liberty Pellet Hops for a 30 minute boil with Safbrew WB-06 yeast. I just steeped the grains at about 155 for 30 mins, did a full boil for 30 mins more, chilled it down to 70, pitched the yeast and in a matter of about 6 hours, she was up and running. And it should be ready about Christmas time or just before.