brew demon sheydu oatmeal stout and licorice?

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

brew demon sheydu oatmeal stout and licorice?

Post by zorak1066 »

made a 2 gallon batch ... used about 1/4 cup of brown sugar to boost alcohol and 2 cans of oatmeal stout. fermented at 62-65f for 21 days. used bottled mineral water. no other additions.

bottling sample tasted like strong black licorice, caramel, molases and stout.

what i am wondering is ... what caused the black licorice taste? it isnt the sugary sweet american black licorice but the european licorice root-y taste.

final grav was 1.015 - ish.

thanks
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: brew demon sheydu oatmeal stout and licorice?

Post by RickBeer »

I would think the brown sugar did.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Usually brown sugar leaves more of a molasses like note. But mixed with the dark stuff it might blend in to get that flavor. European licorice often has treacle in it.

You can get licorice and treacle like flavors from 120L+ British crystal malts too.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

My End of the World Milk Stout tasted very similar to Left Hand Milk Stout when it was fresh. But now that it has aged for 10 months it has taken on a licorice like flavor.