What are you drinking?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by swenocha »

I like the Beard Beer. It's not as wild as one would assume. It's a pretty tame farmhouse. Very drinkable.

I'm on to homebrew Amarillo (not) wheat. I'm not sure what happened here. The only thing I can assume is that the old stoner dude at the homebrew store burned me again and milled me something that wasn't my order. But, as with the last time it happened, the beer is good... The last time he merged two orders into one. This time it's not at all what my recipe was that I sent over. I don't detect wheat at all. It's more of an amber IPA-ish kinda thing. Kealia clued me into this when he sampled it, and I've had a few since then that presented similarly. RDWHAHAB... It's a pretty tasty beer.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

swenocha wrote:I like the Beard Beer. It's not as wild as one would assume. It's a pretty tame farmhouse. Very drinkable.

really ? gonna have to try it, landbier pronounced luntbier(country beer) was one of my fav. types in germany. i'll have to give this a shot (assuming i can get it here).
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
D34THSPAWN
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by D34THSPAWN »

Gray's Oatmeal Stout again...incredibly disappointed to find that they are twistoffs though and that whole 6 pack has been a wash for collecting bottles... :x
Deadhouse Brewing Pipeline
Drinking: Northern Brewer Nut Brown, Pale Rider, Charon's oar Conditioning: Charon's OarFermenting: Single Obol Stout Next Up: Persephone's Tears Blackberry Wheat
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

jimjohson wrote:
swenocha wrote:I like the Beard Beer. It's not as wild as one would assume. It's a pretty tame farmhouse. Very drinkable.

really ? gonna have to try it, landbier pronounced luntbier(country beer) was one of my fav. types in germany. i'll have to give this a shot (assuming i can get it here).
Landbier is a pretty diverse style. It traditionally was just whatever the local easy to drink (lightly hopped, lower abv - what we would call sessionable) beer was in the countryside. It might be dark, might be light, might have just about any kind of German malt or hop in it. Do you remember what the particular brand or local place you were in?
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

Ibasterd wrote:taking a break from beer tonight.
I Love you, man! :lol:
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

mashani wrote:
jimjohson wrote:

Landbier is a pretty diverse style. It traditionally was just whatever the local easy to drink (lightly hopped, lower abv - what we would call sessionable) beer was in the countryside. It might be dark, might be light, might have just about any kind of German malt or hop in it. Do you remember what the particular brand or local place you were in?

yes very diverse like commons were here(bitd). lol i don't think too many GIs forget where they were stationed lol. i was in, Kitzingen Germany, then it was FRG. like many GIs i use to collect the lables off every type of beer i tried. long story short, the kids found them i only have a very few left, They all need to be glad i didn't discover that 'till after they all moved out. i have tried to search for landbier in Kitzingen but the search parameters weren't good enough it only resulted in a definiton of a landbier. i was hoping for a picture of lables, i think i'll know it when i see it(lord knows i drank enough of them). i've also searched BA with no luck. if anybody has a suggestion on how to search for this , don't be shy speak right up. where i was it was a dark variety, but in Wurzburg (about a half hour ride on the local) the style was a light colored beer.

Edgar Allan Poe
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kesselring or Brauerei Wolf perhaps? Both make an amber landbier. If you enter those into google images I believe you will find labels. I dunno there are probably 10 or more other possibilities, lots of little local breweries that have been around since 1700s or earlier in those parts.

I'm drinking Southern English Brown.

EDIT: Here some quick links for you:

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm ... r&tbm=isch

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm ... g&tbm=isch
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

checked those 2 no, but as always has opened more "brands" to investigate. i'll let you know if any prove fruitful. below is a explination of landbier but only think the part i put in () and made bold to be germain to our discussion.(how's that for a 50 cent word?;)) gonna take awhile to search all the links also re-look at landbier pic in the search(could've been added since i last looked)

LANDBIER

Pronunciation guide for English-speakers:
"lunt-beer" (pronounce the "a" and "d" in "land" like the "u"
and "t" in "but")
Definition:
Literally "country beer," Landbier is a general term denoting a simple everyday session or quaffing brew. As an easy-drinking beer, it is usually not too hoppy. Its other characteristics, however, are fairly undefined. A Landbier is usually golden-yellow, but it may also be dark; it may be filtered like a Pils or unfiltered like a Kellerbier, and its alcohol by volume level may range between 4.8% and 5.3%. (For many breweries, the term Landbier has more to do with branding a particular line of beer than with brewing a beer according to a style definition.) Landbiers are made throughout Germany.

Related beer styles:

Edgar Allan Poe
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Mac & Jack's African Amber Ale
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Feelin good on some PPS Hard Cider. Good stuff, 1.5 yrs old.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

My father in law had a bottle of Golden Pilsner that I brewed early this year. I thought all of them were consumed, so I grabbed it out of the fridge and poured it for myself. It was fantastic! It was my first and only lager I've ever brewed, and I always thought it was a little too fruity sweet, perhaps from using too much extract, and too much flavor hops. But time had mellowed it out very well and was quite crisp.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Beerlabelman
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Beerlabelman »

Time heals all wounds. I'm drinking my last bottle of "Dog will Hunt" It was great & will be brewed again. Definitely in the rotation.
Attachments
Dog Will Hunt.JPG
Dog Will Hunt.JPG (157.68 KiB) Viewed 524 times
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

More brown ale.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Yazoo Rye Saison while watching the Iron Bowl... Picked up a case of call-backs (still on the shelf when it was time to rotate in the fall seasonal [Fall Lager]) for $20 at the brewery last night, using a $25 gift card that was purchased on Black Friday for $20. So, you could say I got it for $15. Not a bad price, and a great beer that doesn't mind the age (bottled 6/27).

While at the taproom, had a nice discussion with Linus about the upcoming efforts of the lobbying group. Their last successful lobby was to stabilize the beer tax in TN (which is the highest in the country), and the new effort will be to remove the ABV restriction for beer sales. Currently anything above 6.2% cannot be sold in a beer store or served at a bar with a beer license. For that reason, Yazoo cannot serve some of its own beers in its taproom (they have obtained a day-long liquor license for festivals in the past if they intended to serve hi-gravs), and you can't buy the entire line of Yazoo (or anyone else) at the same store. My relative in for the holiday was shocked when I told her that I'd have to make two stops for her beer request (Ranger and Fat Tire), but that's just common here. A few stores have a beer store and wine store next to each other, so you have to exit one store and enter another to make such purchase. This effort will run hand-in-hand with the wine in groceries efforts, which have the similar problem of not being able to sell wine bottles in store. Linus mentioned that they will coordinate efforts with the wine lobby, but they don't want to be coupled to that bill and would rather be a separate bill, as that bill has failed several years in a row and they want to stand on their own merits. Enjoyed the conversation... Linus is always fun to talk to...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

I'm on to homebrew Amarillo (not) wheat. I'm not sure what happened here. The only thing I can assume is that the old stoner dude at the homebrew store burned me again and milled me something that wasn't my order. But, as with the last time it happened, the beer is good... The last time he merged two orders into one. This time it's not at all what my recipe was that I sent over. I don't detect wheat at all. It's more of an amber IPA-ish kinda thing. Kealia clued me into this when he sampled it, and I've had a few since then that presented similarly. RDWHAHAB... It's a pretty tasty beer.
I have an Amarillo Wheat in the fermentor right now......