The No Post Post

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: The No Post Post

Post by berryman »

haerbob3 wrote:
berryman wrote:I love the internet, after all these years of being told no alcohol when taking antibiotics, I've done a lot of research and found this not to be 100% true. Yes there are some antibiotics out there that if you drink while taking them, you will end up with a super bad hangover. As far as cutting down on the effectiveness of the antibiotic while drinking some, that is false. I should have known that a long time ago because I did it when I was told not to but it still worked. My fingers are healing just fine and I am still drinking the same amount of beer I do every night. Myth busted.
now if the same could only be said about Lyrica :( :( :(

So how did you slice your hand open?? Inquiring (--read nosy) brewer would like to know. I just read the post about hurting yourself at work
I was drilling a stainless steel rod on a drill press, I shut it off to remove the stringies that tangle up when drilling, yes they can be real sharp like razors, it was hot when I went to touch/grab them and I jurked my hand away and when I did they were wrapped around my fingers and sliced them open. 8 stitches later and cant work this week. Another lesson learned the hard way, after over thirty five years of doing the same type of work and doing the same thing over and over, there is always something new to be learned, don't touch hot sharp steel is one of them.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

OUCH OUCH!!!!! Was a CNC programmer/machinist by trade for 27 yrs. Done that one more then once. The worst I have ever seen was a guy grab a spinning end mill to slow it down. I was his apprentice at the time. Needless to say I learned not to ever do that.
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

The "Safety Nazis" where I work have implemented a policy that we must have gloves on at all times. Even while doing lay-out work. So the other day (night) I was grinding some parts on the pedestal grinder with-out my gloves on. (Only a fool would run a pedestal grinder with gloves on.) Sure as heck the plant Stupervisor walks by and tells me he's going to write me up for not having gloves on. I have my gloves hanging from a clip from my belt loop. I took them off and said, "Watch this." I then shoved a glove into the grinding wheel. Just as expected the glove was sucked in between the wheel and the tool rest and then the wheel merrily shredded the glove. I looked at him and said that I had learned waaaaaay back in High School that you never wear gloves around a rotating tool.

He nodded his head and said, "Good example. And you're right." He then thanked me and walked on. I guess even bosses can be edgimicated. :razz:
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

My cat Ingrid keeps getting cuter!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Stitches come out tomorrow (hopefully), brew supplies should be here shortly (hopefully). Start brewing tomorrow after coming back from the Dr's.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Chuck N wrote:The "Safety Nazis" where I work have implemented a policy that we must have gloves on at all times. Even while doing lay-out work. So the other day (night) I was grinding some parts on the pedestal grinder with-out my gloves on. (Only a fool would run a pedestal grinder with gloves on.) Sure as heck the plant Stupervisor walks by and tells me he's going to write me up for not having gloves on. I have my gloves hanging from a clip from my belt loop. I took them off and said, "Watch this." I then shoved a glove into the grinding wheel. Just as expected the glove was sucked in between the wheel and the tool rest and then the wheel merrily shredded the glove. I looked at him and said that I had learned waaaaaay back in High School that you never wear gloves around a rotating tool.

He nodded his head and said, "Good example. And you're right." He then thanked me and walked on. I guess even bosses can be edgimicated. :razz:
Good for you for doing that CN. I was laying a hard wood a few years back and had gloves on while mixing some overlayment in a five gallon bucket with a paint stirrer attached to a drill.
Yes the glove got caught and my finger got wrapped around the stirrer rod and twisted the knuckle around about 45 degrees. That finger is still crooked.
I hope your supervisor will do more than just letting you off and make sure the "new safety plan" is actually safe.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

I guess these people never actually worked out in the shop environment that they are writing policy for. at least he seems willing to learn.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I believe gloves can be more of a safety hazzard when working around spinning equipment then not having them on just like Chuck says, and I've seen it happen with not so good endings. I wear gloves when I'm using a cutting torch or welding, I can do a much better job without jerking when a hot piece hits you, I were gloves when I'm dealing with sharp rusty metal, I wear gloves when I'm beating on a harden piece of metal, but I won't wear gloves on spinning machinery. When I got my fingers ripped open a week ago today, nothing was spinning or turning, but it was hot and sharp and I should have waited or put gloves on before I touched it.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Hey b, got a question if you feel like humoring me.

I've got a Stihl 290 Farm Boss w/18" bar. When I'm cut'n hard wood it bogs down when cut'n more than bout 14". New chain makes no difference, I can put a very sharp edge on, so it's not dull. Would rake cause this? What would it take to beef up the cc's a tad and still be a daily user?
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FrozenInTime wrote:Hey b, got a question if you feel like humoring me.

I've got a Stihl 290 Farm Boss w/18" bar. When I'm cut'n hard wood it bogs down when cut'n more than bout 14". New chain makes no difference, I can put a very sharp edge on, so it's not dull. Would rake cause this? What would it take to beef up the cc's a tad and still be a daily user?
Oh I like this question, but would need more information on the saw. A 290 is a good saw and should cut a full 18" bar and more of hard wood. Yes a bigger saw (cc's) will cut it easier and faster but a 290 will cut good.
If the rakers are to low it will bog the saw, a bad bar can slow you down, as would a worn out saw, (low compression) or even a bad fuel filter or crap in the carb. This alcohol gas is bad on chainsaws. A lot of veriables on this one. Tell more and I'll try to give you a good answer.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

berryman wrote:
FrozenInTime wrote:Hey b, got a question if you feel like humoring me.

Oh I like this question, but would need more information on the saw. A 290 is a good saw and should cut a full 18" bar and more of hard wood. Yes a bigger saw (cc's) will cut it easier and faster but a 290 will cut good.
If the rakers are to low it will bog the saw, a bad bar can slow you down, as would a worn out saw, (low compression) or even a bad fuel filter or crap in the carb. This alcohol gas is bad on chainsaws. A lot of veriables on this one. Tell more and I'll try to give you a good answer.
I put on new air filters, always keep fresh gas/oil in it. I use stabil or seafoam mixed in, which ever one I have handy when I fill up the gas can. The oiler works, it takes one fill of oil each/every time I fill with gas. I wondered about the rakers, but it does the same with a new chain. I think maybe I need a new bar? I had a tree set down on it as I did a bad cut one day, had to cut the bar out. BAD guess on that as to which way it was going to fall. The saw (w/original bar) is around 3 yrs old, but I have cut a ton of trees, both hard and soft wood, green and dead. Probably cut 'round 8-10 cords/year since buying it. Ok, u said fuel filter, this thing has a fuel filter? It feels like it has good compression but I can do a compression test if needed, when I can dig out the shed from snow.

I talked to a guy that recommends a 3/8" chain and new bar, is that a good set-up for my use? He gets pretty aggressive with his, he does chainsaw carving. I run .325 if me memory serves me right.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FIT, take a piece of wire and bend a little hook on the end of it, take the gas cap off and go fishing you will find a fuel filter, but don't take the filter off and drop the line back in the tank because it will be really hard to catch again. .325 chain will usually cut faster then 3/8 (.375) on a smaller saw (takes a smaller bite) but I don't like it as good because I have a harder time sharpening it and rather use 3/8 chain because of that.
Lastly if you do have a bent/twisted bar you should notice that it is cutting crooked and that will slow a saw down and make them bog also.
Me having fun and being timed .
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

I'm about to go out for my last day of deer hunting. Wish me luck. If I'm unsuccessful it's another year of store-bought meat and tag soup.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
pocketjr
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by pocketjr »

Chuck N wrote:I'm about to go out for my last day of deer hunting. Wish me luck. If I'm unsuccessful it's another year of store-bought meat and tag soup.

Good luck Chuck!
Lenwoode & Merle
pocketjr
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by pocketjr »

Supposed to be a big storm coming today. Usually I'm okay with a bit of snow, but today not only brings an estimated 3-5 inches of snow it also comes with wind chills of -22 Celsius! That's just wrong!
Lenwoode & Merle