Mr Beer forum is really dead

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Mr Beer forum is really dead

Post by ssorck »

Thanks for the tip there Mashani, I'll take your advice and follow your lead on them. I'm guessing about 3 lbs DME, 1 lb Candi, 2-3 oz hops & using a Saison yeast instead of T-58?

Have you tried the other two yet? (Nut Brown and Spiced)
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

Went back today and even the New Brewers page is dead. So sad. I did put in a plug for this site.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

You know, if they were smart about it (I know, we wouldn't have bailed if they were smart), they would fold that nonsense, but some ad space here. Then they would get good technical advice, maybe win back some customers, and be free of the hassle of running their bad forum. Problem solved! Louie, take a letter!
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

John Sand wrote:You know, if they were smart about it (I know, we wouldn't have bailed if they were smart), they would fold that nonsense, but some ad space here. Then they would get good technical advice, maybe win back some customers, and be free of the hassle of running their bad forum. Problem solved! Louie, take a letter!
I've reached out to Mr. Beer a few times when everything was going down hill fast and never received any reply. I don't think they like me much since I have a relationship with BrewDemon and they had an ongoing lawsuit with them.

I'm thinking that a lot of the new Mr. Beer Brewers are going over to the mrbeerfans.com forum since that is also linked from Mr. Beer's main page and is also owned by them.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

LouieMacGoo wrote:
John Sand wrote:You know, if they were smart about it (I know, we wouldn't have bailed if they were smart), they would fold that nonsense, but some ad space here. Then they would get good technical advice, maybe win back some customers, and be free of the hassle of running their bad forum. Problem solved! Louie, take a letter!
I've reached out to Mr. Beer a few times when everything was going down hill fast and never received any reply. I don't think they like me much since I have a relationship with BrewDemon and they had an ongoing lawsuit with them.

I'm thinking that a lot of the new Mr. Beer Brewers are going over to the mrbeerfans.com forum since that is also linked from Mr. Beer's main page and is also owned by them.
I don't think it was your relationship with BrewDemon because I had nothing to do with them and they pretty much ignored any question I posted or emailed them with. They just don't seem to want to communicate with their customers.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

duff wrote:
LouieMacGoo wrote:

I don't think it was your relationship with BrewDemon because I had nothing to do with them and they pretty much ignored any question I posted or emailed them with. They just don't seem to want to communicate with their customers.
"Pride goeth before destruction..."
Never mind, there it is.
DirtRacer
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by DirtRacer »

I've deleted the Mr. Beer forum link and don't plan on heading back. I tried to delete my account there but for some reason I couldn't(kind of like Myspace as it was losing people left and right).

My brother has recently wanted to get into homebrewing and likes the simplicity of these 2 gal. kits like I have. So for Christmas I've ordered him a BrewDemon kit plus some refills. With customer service being as important as it is, I just don't see ever recommending Mr. Beer to anybody anymore.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from poor judgment.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Tabasco wrote:The Bed Bath and Beyond stores around here don't seem to be carrying MrB anymore. They got some other kit, and it ain't Brewdemon, either.

It's Brooklyn beer making kit. Seems to have a small glass carboy type fermenter. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/s ... r%20making
Yep... the one gallon Brooklyn Brew Shop kits are pretty nice, as they are starter all-grain kits. A little spendy for the ingredient kits, but I've done one in the past and had good success. Whole Foods carries them as well.

Tabasco wrote:I can't keep making more beer ... I have to shut down the fermenters for a bit.
I have 6 5gal cornys full, another 5 gal fermenter going that I'll have to bottle, and about three cases of bottled homebrew. I made more than EVEN I can drink.
Guess I'll have a party after New Years, and knock out one of two of these kegs.
True that... I have around 7-8 cases of homebrew bottled in the closet, two fermenters needing bottling, a full sized beer fridge totally stocked (half at least being homebrew), and a dorm sized fridge fully stocked. Plus ingredients for about 4-5 more brew days from contest winnings. I'm giving the stuff away left and right...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Makes a mental note to visit Tabasco and Swenocha.
I still buy craft brew. I drink about a case of beer a week, and while I also brew that much, parties and holidays hit my homebrew supply. And there isn't always room in the fridge to chill the brews for a few days. And big beers take more time, so my Rare Vos clone isn't ready to drink. I am trying to catch up though, I bottled 2 gallons on friday, have 5 ready to bottle, and five more in the bucket a week.
Never mind, there it is.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

OK... I was compelled to do a quick inventory. Here's what I came up with...

In refrigerators: around 150 bottles and cans. Looks to be about 70% of that homebrew (I'm going to say 105 homebrew/45 commercial).

In cellar/closet: around 32 commercial bottles...

In cellar/closet: around 60 bottles of homebrew.

In fermenters: 4 gallons (2 Mr. B sized batches). I'll say 22 bottles.

So... My somewhat accurate estimate is 264 bottles of varying sizes, and the following breakdown: 1254oz of commercial beer and 2264oz of homebrew (and five batches of Mr. B ingredients left from these contest winnings that have both helped and hindered my brewing progress). About 27.5 gallons. And that doesn't count the one can of Natty Light hanging out in the door of the beer fridge.

Apparently Tabasco has me beat with his 35 gallons plus three cases, so the party is at his house... ;)

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

While at first glance that seems crazy to me, I just did a quick tabulation. I think I have about 25 gallons of homebrew in various stages, though most is not ready to drink. Maybe two cases of assorted commercial beer.
Never mind, there it is.
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

Being the only (pretty much) beer drinker in the house, it takes a while to go through, right now, about 8 gals in kegs and 2 cases, so about 13 gals.... but I'm on vaca until 1/2/14 so I'll put a dent in it... Trying to decide what to brew next while I'm off, I have a porter ready to go when the American Ale or Vanilla Chocolate stout kicks....
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

John Sand wrote:While at first glance that seems crazy to me, I just did a quick tabulation.
Uhm, yeah.....nothing to see here.....move along. Without getting up from my seat I can come up with 6 five gallon kegs, 7 cases of home brew in the spare bedroom and I'm not even going out to the garage fridge. Easy on the plus side of 30 gallons.

Hey Swen, I see a beer in one of your fridges from our west coast friend, have one just like myself.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

I was in k-mart yesterday and no MrB display this year
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Was surprised to see fermenters in Target this year, as I hadn't seen them for the last few years there... Our Kmart and Sears never has had them. Now that BB&B has moved on, they would be harder to get around here outside of Target. At the Opry Mills, they used to have them at BB&B, a kitchen store, and at Bass Pro Shop. Haven't been out there, so not sure if they all still have them, but outside of that outlet, BB&B was the only game in town.

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking: