Infection? New fermenter advice...

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Infection? New fermenter advice...

Post by JimH »

Alright Borg, I think I may have an infection in my LBK. My last couple batches have come out with a strange off flavor. I have not identified it yet, so I don't know for sure if it is an infection, or what type, but I am pretty sure it is and there may be more on this later, I have some off flavor flash cards and a possible infected beer in the fridge ready to drink. As a few members in the Taproom last week found out, I am musing a new fermenter to replace the LBK. But, I don't know where I should go. I was originally thinking of a 3 gallon Better Bottle after seeing the Hat get one. But, I have some issues and need some advice. I was originally thinking 3 gallon fermenter, because that is about the size batches I have been making, and I have a small brewpot. But, if I am going to buy a new fermenter, why not just get a 5 gallon and not have to upgrade again later on, since I plan on moving up in batch size anyway. I think I can still make decent beer doing partial boils in 5 gallon batches. I don't normally secondary or dry hop, so I don't know if headspace will be a big deal if I do a smaller batch in the 5 gallon fermenter. So, the other issue I have, is what type of fermenter? I was thinking of the Better Bottle, because I don't want to worry about breaking glass, and saving weight, but I worry about the plastic developing infections, a la the LBK I am currently replacing. A five gallon bucket would work great, because it is pretty easy to clean, but again, should I do glass to make it a little more infection resistant?

Advice?
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
----------------------------------------
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:
Fermenter 1 (5 Gal Bucket): Empty :(
Fermenter 2 (1 gal.): Empty :(

On Deck:
Something?!
Root Skier
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Re: Infection? New fermenter advice...

Post by Root Skier »

I'm only on my 2nd 5gal brew, but I like how easy the buckets are to work with. I really don't like the LBK as much now. The equipment kit I bought also came with a 5 gallon glass carboy. I just keep it in a milk crate.
Roots Brewing
Drinking
3. MB Wild Wheat ~6.5%
4. MB Girls & Boysenberries ~7%
5. MB El Diablo Blanco 8.1% 'Hop Jump' 
8. Wheat Pale Ale (1st 5g brew, 7.5%)
9. Hard Apple Cider (12.1%)
Conditioning
11. Winter Ale (1.070 OG)
Fermenting
Mr. Frankenale
Secondary
(empty)
 Planning
12. Blackberry Wheat

Follow Root's Brewing on Untapp'd.
https://untappd.com/RootsBrewing
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

Thanks Root. I am looking at Amazon right now, and there is a 3 pack, with lids food grade 5 gallon buckets for $20. Pretty good deal, I can use one as a fermenter, one as a bottling bucket and have a spare, which is a plus.
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:

On Deck:
Something?!
Root Skier
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Root Skier »

No prob. If you plan on doing 5 gallon batches, you might want to get 6 gallon buckets. I also look at the bucket as being a disposable item due to it's low cost incase I think there's a problem with it.
Roots Brewing
Drinking
3. MB Wild Wheat ~6.5%
Conditioning
Fermenting
Mr. Frankenale
Secondary
(empty)
 Planning
12. Blackberry Wheat

mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

if you do go to 5 gal batches, you'll need a 6.5 gal bucket. 5 gal will blow out every time. I have 3 now, and use as you think you'll like to. It's not uncommon to have two fermenting in the spring for spring/summer enjoyment...
I've never done anything more than a 5.5 gal ferment or less than a 5er, so someone else may chime in here about the headspace...
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

mtsoxfan wrote:if you do go to 5 gal batches, you'll need a 6.5 gal bucket. 5 gal will blow out every time. I have 3 now, and use as you think you'll like to. It's not uncommon to have two fermenting in the spring for spring/summer enjoyment...
I've never done anything more than a 5.5 gal ferment or less than a 5er, so someone else may chime in here about the headspace...
True, but I was almost thinking since I don't have a very big brewpot, then I could get away with the 5 gallon bucket, and do 4-4.5 gallon batches. That will allow me more beer, but not having to upgrade the brewpot right now will help my budget situation.
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:

On Deck:
Something?!
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

All of my 5 gallon batches of ale are done in the 6.5 gallon plastic buckets (Ale Pail), I currently have two of them. I think I paid about $14 for both the bucket and the lid. I do lagers in a 6 gallon glass carboy. They only reason I do the lagers in glass is because it is only moved twice. It gets moved to the fermenting fridge after the yeast is pitched and out of the fridge for bottling. It goes through the D-Rest and the cold crash all in that one location (I adjust the temp controller on the fridge). Oh, and it's fun to perv the fridge every now and then to see how it's coming along. I like to see it's clarity toward the end of fermentation. And I don't do a lot of lagers. The buckets are so much easier to clean compared to the glass. And if it gets an infection and I have to get rid of one of the buckets, then I'm not out a ton of money on a new one.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

You caught me thinking inside the box.... thinking brewing only comes in 2.5, 5, and 10 gallons... :unsure: Doing a 4 in a 5 will be tight, but with a watchful eye, it'll work. I do 7.5 gal boils in an 8...
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

Well, I am just mulling all my options. I don't have a LHBS, so if I order a 6.5 gallon bucket, it has to be shipped. But, I think I have seen 5 gallon buckets at the Ace hardware, so I could be up and brewing this afternoon...Part of the reason I haven't brewed in a while is I have been mulling my possible infection.
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:

On Deck:
Something?!
Root Skier
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Root Skier »

I agree, brew what ever size fits your budget and equipment. It's real easy to set up a recipe software tool to scale for the size batch you want to make.
Roots Brewing
Drinking
3. MB Wild Wheat ~6.5%
Conditioning
Fermenting
Mr. Frankenale
Secondary
(empty)
 Planning
12. Blackberry Wheat

mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

Are the buckets from Ace foodgrade?
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

JimH wrote:But, I think I have seen 5 gallon buckets at the Ace hardware
Just make sure that it is a food grade bucket if you go that route. It will have a sticker on it that says so.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

I think I am now leaning toward the buckets. Easy to clean is a huge plus, I have big hands, so cleaning the LBK really got annoying. And if the hardware store has them it is easy to get a new one for whatever reason. Using Qbrew I can kinda play around with ingredients to get the desired results.

I will of course double check the food grade, and it has been a while since I looked, but I do remember an orange sticker on them saying food grade.

With that, I will ask because there is a lot of conflicting reports on the internet. If the bucket is #2 HDPE is it automatically food grade? Or must it be specially indicated?
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:

On Deck:
Something?!
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

One more odd idea: I use 12qt pots from Walmart for 2-2.5g batches. The lid acts as airlock, you can add plastic wrap for additional security. Mine ferment in a musty basement without trouble, as long as I don't open them. A cooler or tote helps too. The pots are enamel or stainless, either can be scoured, baked or boiled to sanitize. The SS have rivets which can hold gunk. Enamel are $14, SS $9. I do like the Amazon 3-pack too. I've brewed a couple of four gallon batches too. As for headspace, 20% can be enough for many yeasts. The more active ones want more, though I've read that fermcap can prevent foam-overs.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

To answer your question regarding if all #2 HDPE is foodsafe: "All food grade buckets are made of HDPE #2 (high density polyethylene) but not all HDPE #2 buckets are food grade. Buckets that are not food grade will out-gas and leach into the container, and whatever is in the container." That line is from http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/saf ... and-drink/
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck