Ouch!

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Ouch!

Post by John Sand »

My Uncle Jack just had his leg amputated. Well, half of his leg. Apparently he came through surgery fine, because he's in rehab. I haven't seen him since my father died 17 months ago, Jack lives in MD. I'm still a bit worried about him, he's 81. Though last time I visited him was after bypass surgery and he was mowing the lawn. He's a very nice guy, father of 5, grandfather and great grandfather to many. I guess it's time for a road trip. I can't help but think this is going to hurt his bowling average.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Ouch!

Post by Brewbirds »

Wow that's terrible news JS. If they did that to a guy 81 years old it must have the last option they had, rehab for a someone his age must be hell.

Hope he pulls through.
Sibling Brewers
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Sorry to hear this John, it's hard as we all get older and your beloved relatives are even older yet, I've been going though this kind of stuff a lot lately. A road trip down there would be good for you and him both. Again, sorry to hear about this.
Don
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks. His son, the other John S, says he (Jack, the oldest John S) plans to go home after rehab, so he's optimistic.
Never mind, there it is.
truckndad
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by truckndad »

Sounds like he has a good attitude. That can only help in the healing process
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

You're right John, Ouch. His average is going to take a hit. But from the sound of it with the positive support from his family and his outlook he'll be back on his foot in no time. :redface:
Let him know that we send our prayers and support also.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

"Back on his foot" :D
Thanks for the chuckle and the prayers. I was just on the phone with his son John. Jack is pretty down right now, I guess anyone would be. But John said that I should wait a week to visit, let him get more strength. Cousin Joe is nearby in Delaware. Maybe John and I will drive down together (he lives on the Hudson).
Never mind, there it is.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Okay, got back at midnight from a couple of days on the Eastern Shore. Uncle Jack lost the rest of his leg, but he looks good, and is undergoing rehabilitation. Sometimes he is rather glum. To tie in with another thread, he had undiagnosed diabetes. When his foot started bothering him, he just toughed it out. He put props around the house to help him walk. By the time he called for help, it was too late to save his leg. This bothers him to think of, he feels old and foolish. But with a little help yesterday, he stood on one foot, then joked about it. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, and mind your own health and that of your loved ones.
Never mind, there it is.
GOF
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by GOF »

Sounds like he is doing well, all points considered. Hope he gets back to enjoying life quickly.