Nano Brewery Startup

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Nano Brewery Startup

Post by John Sand »

I hope that you are posting on HlomeBrewTalk too. I consider the BeerBorg my home forum, but HBT is a valuable asset, with thousands of users.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Funky Skunk Brewing »

John Sand wrote:I hope that you are posting on HlomeBrewTalk too. I consider the BeerBorg my home forum, but HBT is a valuable asset, with thousands of users.
Not as of yet, no.

In the past, I have seen others that have posted similar plans for breweries/brew pubs, etc. and all (not all but a lot) of posts and members were just Debbie Downers that only wanted to tell them that it couldn't be done on [insert size here] systems and you HAD to go bigger this and you HAD to do that. To be honest, I just don't like being around negativity when it comes to something I am a part of. No offense to those members or HBT by any means. Just posting what I have read from personal experience there from others posting similar ventures as this.

Now there were posts of encouragement and well wishes, of course. It just seemed that most just wanted to shoot people down or tell them what they thought was wrong. Opinions I like and welcome and listen to each one when I receive them. Though I do not believe just posting negative posts about what they "think" will happen with no experience is just a waste of time.

I do agree that it is a valuable asset to a certain extent. So I have yet to conclude if I will or will not post anything about it on that community. However, we'll see what happens here shortly with Kickstarter set to go live and explore posting something over on HBT perhaps.

:thanks:
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Quite well thought out, as are all of your posts. I agree that there are always those quick to say "You can't". It is why I always ask questions followed by "in your experience". Keep us posted on the kickstarter, I'm in.
Never mind, there it is.
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

John Sand wrote:Quite well thought out, as are all of your posts. I agree that there are always those quick to say "You can't". It is why I always ask questions followed by "in your experience". Keep us posted on the kickstarter, I'm in.
Thank you very much, John. Like I said, it's not out of the question to post on HBT about the brewery and/or Kickstarter campaign. The more places it can be posted and exposed to in this community of brewers is always the best option of course.

Just as you said, beginning a question or asking for feedback on a comment using better terms than "you can't do that" or "that won't work" is just good practice in any scenario in my opinion. Not only does it portray you are genuinely interested for their experience and knowledge on the subject, it also comes off as you asking their honest opinion or feedback, not just looking to say it cannot be done. Chances are, at times you may initially have thought it could not work, though someone in fact has made it work and now others have the knowledge of that as well.

My $0.02 on it anyway :)

Again and as always, thank you VERY much for your (and the Borg's) support, comments and questions on this venture. Slow as it goes at times, though I believe once the Kickstarter campaign goes live, things will really begin to take shape.

Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
astrobeerman

Post by astrobeerman »

Good luck FSB........this is so interesting......thanks for sharing
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I stumbled upon some beers a local nano is bottling and distributing in small amounts at my local grocery store. They are selling it in a generic 22oz bottle with a white area near their logo they hand write the name of the beer, it's abv, and other stats with a marker. By hand. On every bottle.

It made me think of you.
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

mashani wrote:I stumbled upon some beers a local nano is bottling and distributing in small amounts at my local grocery store. They are selling it in a generic 22oz bottle with a white area near their logo they hand write the name of the beer, it's abv, and other stats with a marker. By hand. On every bottle.

It made me think of you.
Awesome!!! That is getting it done by any means necessary for sure.

Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Funky Skunk Brewing wrote:
mashani wrote:I stumbled upon some beers a local nano is bottling and distributing in small amounts at my local grocery store. They are selling it in a generic 22oz bottle with a white area near their logo they hand write the name of the beer, it's abv, and other stats with a marker. By hand. On every bottle.

It made me think of you.

JoeChiante, BB2 and I went to a micro brewery open house/tour a while back and as I was walking around the brewery area I saw a couple of bench cappers attached to plywood leaning against the side of a wall. When asked about it the owner said that is how they bottle, everything by hand by the staff. Pretty cool.
Sibling Brewers
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Brewbirds wrote:
Funky Skunk Brewing wrote:

It made me think of you.

JoeChiante, BB2 and I went to a micro brewery open house/tour a while back and as I was walking around the brewery area I saw a couple of bench cappers attached to plywood leaning against the side of a wall. When asked about it the owner said that is how they bottle, everything by hand by the staff. Pretty cool.
That's great!!!

Anyway to save money here or there is almost worth it in the end. Free labor is better than paid labor any day if you are on a tight budget counting every penny.
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

With the Kickstarter campaign about to go live and seeking $20,000 there I thought I would lay out a little of what we will be using those funds for towards the brewery. The majority of it will be to obtain new brewing equipment and kegging supplies, while the rest will go towards location improvements and misc. items that come up in a venture such as this.

Just a quick list of items that we are going to look at obtaining (and costs) should we reach our $20,000 goal on Kickstarter. Everything else we either already have or will have to kick in extra money our selves.

Blichmann 55 Gallon Brew Kettle & MLT - $1,800
Fermenters - $5,600
Brew House Control Panel - $2,600
5500w Heating Elements for Brew House - $750
Temp Probes - $190
Pumps - $170
Wort Chiller - $200
Misc. Equipment - $2,000
C02 Tank - $150
Gas Distributors - $100
Kegs - $1,500
Misc. Tubing - $300
Building Materials - $5,000

Grand Total - $20,360
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

It looks quite practical, and a reachable goal. Have you had ant contact with local news media? When a family farm on Long Island started growing hops, they ran a kickstarter for a picker. The story ran in all the local media, which I'm sure brought in more support,
Never mind, there it is.
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

John Sand wrote:It looks quite practical, and a reachable goal. Have you had ant contact with local news media? When a family farm on Long Island started growing hops, they ran a kickstarter for a picker. The story ran in all the local media, which I'm sure brought in more support,
Waiting on the Kickstarter to go live before we go that route. I know the local media guy that actually writes a weekly beer column for the local paper here that said he would for sure come out to do a piece on us. Also, I know one of the co-anchors for the local ABC affiliate here and she loves the beer we sent to her so she's on board to try to get us some TV time if she can. That would be awesome!!

I'm hoping that by focusing on being locally owned, operated and minded in all of our promotional items, Kickstarter, social media, etc. that media outlets around the Pensacola area will pick up on it as the local business boom here continues to grow here in this area. Fingers crossed obviously but I have some pretty good relationships around the area with other locally owned business that I am hoping we can leverage when the time comes as well.
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

HUGE UPDATE.......

OUR KICKSTARTER PROJECT IS NOW LIVE!!!!!!

Please head on over to the link below to check everything out. The video may be re-shot but we wanted to get it up and running so it may not be a Grammy winning performance. I was not overly worried about the video as it does get the message and purposes across fine. And once again, a HUGE thank you to the :borg: for your continued support and well wishes. We're hoping this campaign takes us to our goal and pushes forward to where we need to be.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/52 ... the-making
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

WoooHooo! I am your Number One backer!
Step right up ladies and gentlemen! Time to support The Dream for one of our own!
Never mind, there it is.
yankfan9
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by yankfan9 »

Number two here! Good luck to you, I hope it all works out! I'll be sure to spread the word
#15 There Gose 'Nother Semester - Gone
#16 Two Brothers Brown - Gone
#17 Home Toasted Pale - Gone
#18 Porter Potty - Gone
#19 I do IPA - Gone
#20 Max Capacity Stout - One Left in the cellar
#21 Not So Independent Scotch Ale - Drinking
#22 Berliner Weisse - Gone
#23 Fruit Fallacy IPA - Carbonating