No need for you, with MBU!

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: No need for you, with MBU!

Post by RickBeer »

Mr. Beer University seems to be a reorganization of their already existing help info, along with a "textbook" that is ~20 pages long and basically is a restatement of info that already exists on the site. Similar to "ebooks" that people "publish". I see no "course".

http://www.mrbeer.com/info-exec/display/help
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

berryman wrote:
blaxbear wrote:The title was meant to be sardonic! I can see how it was confusing, but what I was trying to comment on is the fact that Mr. Beer would rather try and get people to brew their way than allow a thriving and dynamic community offer its help.
That's the message I figured you were conveying :)
That's what I thought too....thanks for clarifying for me. And if I came across a little brash in my first post, I apologize for that!

And like RickBeer mentions, I don't see much of a "course" either. That textbook they are offering looks like an updated version of the book that was packed in the kit that I received some time ago. And the other links are just the instructions that come with each batch and an updated instruction video.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

I always wondered if it didn't chafe them a little that we would tell nOObs, "Yes you CAN make beer in two weeks but it's going to suck." This way they can brainwash their minions without the Borg's interference and sell more product.

The flaw to that is once people taste "2 week beer" they are going to quit homebrewing or try alternate methods thinking MrBeer sucks.

Basically, I say "F*ck 'em."
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Wings they are now saying to leave it for a total of 4weeks on the shelf
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Yes for me, the advice to ferment for 3 weeks, and carb + condition for 4 weeks, was the fundamental thing I learned, that and CAL just can not be any good no matter what you do. :) But seriously, this may have made the MB people angry, because they were selling 2 week beer, but since I changed to 3+4, like after the first batch, that one little piece of information is still the critical thing, I think, in my subsequent success. So I don't see how you can sustain the business, when you feel that 2 weeks start to drinking, is the way to make money, since statistically most beer made that way with their HME, will not taste very good. Especially when your target constituency was raised on perfectly lagered light colored beer. How is your 'green' ALE going to compare to that? So you may get some sales from curious people, or impulse buys, or 'guy' gifts from relatives, but nothing sustainable, UNLESS you get them to like your beer. And even then, once you get into it, one of the things a MB customer learns is they don't like POR hops. So I can see Cooper's mgmt panicking a bit after spending that much money on Mr Beer.

Monty
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

monsteroyd wrote: and CAL just can not be any good no matter what you do.

Monty
Ain't that the truth? :D
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

BlackDuck wrote:And if I came across a little brash in my first post, I apologize for that!
I like my duck braised, not brash. :lol:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

RickBeer wrote:
BlackDuck wrote:And if I came across a little brash in my first post, I apologize for that!
I like my duck braised, not brash. :lol:
Good one!!! Makes me laugh!!! :drink:
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

jimjohson wrote:Wings they are now saying to leave it for a total of 4weeks on the shelf
I see. I would not know that as I don't go to "that" site anymore. Thanks for the info. At least they won't continue to lead people astray.
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Of course they wont get too much into (if at all) things like steeping grains, PMs, etc, as that is basically opening the door to let people out of the fold when they realize that with not too much more effort and a small investment in time they can do the same thing with DME/LME and a boil. So that would be counter productive unless they get off their butts and start integrating the Coopers family of products and equipment into their lineup that will allow people to grow as a brewer. I still use MrB for a quick brew here or there or during weeks of below zero temperatures when I just dont feel like standing outside like a fool but want to keep the pipeline flowing, but mostly have moved on. So will be brewing a fire sale MrB kit INDOORS whilest we get another pounding of snow and cold.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

monsteroyd wrote:Yes for me, the advice to ferment for 3 weeks, and carb + condition for 4 weeks, was the fundamental thing I learned, that and CAL just can not be any good no matter what you do. :) But seriously, this may have made the MB people angry, because they were selling 2 week beer, but since I changed to 3+4, like after the first batch, that one little piece of information is still the critical thing, I think, in my subsequent success. So I don't see how you can sustain the business, when you feel that 2 weeks start to drinking, is the way to make money, since statistically most beer made that way with their HME, will not taste very good. Especially when your target constituency was raised on perfectly lagered light colored beer. How is your 'green' ALE going to compare to that? So you may get some sales from curious people, or impulse buys, or 'guy' gifts from relatives, but nothing sustainable, UNLESS you get them to like your beer. And even then, once you get into it, one of the things a MB customer learns is they don't like POR hops. So I can see Cooper's mgmt panicking a bit after spending that much money on Mr Beer.

Monty
I would bet that the majority of the people that purchase or receive the MR.B kit never go to the website, let alone visit the forums.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

The thing is, though, that such a philosophy doesn't exactly hold true, Yooper. Take me, for instance.

I started with MB. Quickly moved to MB with steeping grains to add body. Shortly moved to DME and hop boils, making my own recipes, and from there, started making five-gallon AG batches. All within about a year.

Even so, I continued to buy MB advanced recipes, because, like you, I wanted to keep my pipeline full and diverse, and I didn't want to do AG every doggone week. So I had three beers fermenting at all times; one AG fiver and two MB LBK batches. I was quite pleased with them. They made good beer, and although I naturally preferred my original AG recipes, I felt there was really nothing wrong with the MB recipes, given what they were. And the ease of preparation was a real plus.

If Cooper's doesn't integrate other ingredients and provide instructions for "advanced" brewing, but rather makes it a point to keep their customer base at a beginner level, they're just cutting off their nose to spite their face. Eventually a lot of these customers are going to look around, read things, join a homebrew club, or whatever, and drift away from the kits. It just seems to me that few people are going to be content to do HME brews exclusively.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Dave, the key in Marketing is to know your customer, their purchasing behavior, how they use the product, etc, and then try to insert yourself into that as much as possible, maximizing what's called customer lifetime value. One of the things that Coopers COULD do would be to grow Mr. Beer buyers into Coopers buyers for example.

To do this means you need a great database, solid email marketing program, and content that allows you to help the customer learn. Mr. Beer, like many companies, does a crappy, half-assed job at this. I often go into a client like them and within a week they're going "golly, gosh, that's a crap load of opportunity we have" followed by "but doesn't that mean we have to spend money to make money" which is followed by "we're not going to do that".

So you're right, Coopers should be doing a lot of things with Mr. Beer that they aren't.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

Ya the new Mr. Beer seems to be focusing a lot more one the quick purchase decisions like holiday gifts instead of retaining customers.
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

duff wrote:Ya the new Mr. Beer seems to be focusing a lot more one the quick purchase decisions like holiday gifts instead of retaining customers.
I did not see any MR B kits for sale around here this year at all. They used to be all over the place at Christmas time. This past Christmas we had small batch kits from different breweries but no MR B.
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013